Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G with Straight Talk..APN info??

Default iPhone 3G with Straight Talk..APN info??
    I have an iPhone 3G unjailbroken and the other day i put a straight talk sim card in it and immediately the voice services worked perfectly and the text worked with no problems but the data didnt work. then i jailbroke thinking maybe the data would just start working and it didnt. so my question is does anyone have the APN, Username, and Password for Straight Talk or know how I would go about obtaining this information??

Try this and let me know if it worked.

Need I-phone MMS and APN setting!!

Also, what phone was attached to the sim you inserted into the iphone?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gabriel925fm For This Useful Post:

TylerHTC (12-14-2010)

Alright, I did what the forum said but the straight talk sim Im using is a friend of mine ao ill have to wait til he has some free time which may not be til this weekend but i will post my results back here when we try it out. As for the phone it is one of the Nokias, its not the e71, its one of the sliders.

Alright so I installed the Straight Talk APN info file and right away the data worked so hoo rah. I didnt get the model number of the phone but its some square Nokia Slider.
    Last edited by TylerHTC; 12-14-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Great news. I will try it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm looking into modifying the at&t official carrier bundle into a Straight Talk-compatible version, but I'm lost as to putting in the proxy info for the APNs.
    The mobileconfig posted on HF is annoying in that it doesn't allow for tethering to be setup. So I'm hoping to figure out a way to insert the proxy into the 'data' and 'tethering' APNs of the carrier bundle... plus if it's successful this would make it easier for newer users to just be up and going, just like Spooky's files on the T-Mobile forum.

Let's hope this loophole doesn't die soon.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

Follow up:

Activated new account using an E71 (the only device consistently known to have an 'unlocked' SIM & not cheap BTW) and successfully modded the iPhone's stock at&t carrier bundle. I even managed to get FaceTime to activate (since the ST number is an at&t-based number).

I'm working on a few carrier logos for the bundle and I should have an IPCC file usable on any iPhone with a patched CommCenter (it might work on unpatched phones, but not certain). When I get that IPCC finished, I'll post here and on HowardForums.

Default Mms?
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Follow up:

Activated new account using an E71 (the only device consistently known to have an 'unlocked' SIM & not cheap BTW) and successfully modded the iPhone's stock at&t carrier bundle. I even managed to get FaceTime to activate (since the ST number is an at&t-based number).

I'm working on a few carrier logos for the bundle and I should have an IPCC file usable on any iPhone with a patched CommCenter (it might work on unpatched phones, but not certain). When I get that IPCC finished, I'll post here and on HowardForums.
    I managed to get everything working except the MMS... i've tried editing all the info for it but no luck... have you gotten the MMS to work? I'm running OS4.1.... I know theres some carrier bundle generators for OS3.x.... I dont send or receive too many MMS msgs but it is nice to have...

Quote Originally Posted by samuel8614 View Post
    I managed to get everything working except the MMS... i've tried editing all the info for it but no luck... have you gotten the MMS to work? I'm running OS4.1.... I know theres some carrier bundle generators for OS3.x.... I dont send or receive too many MMS msgs but it is nice to have...
    I have the MMS working on my iphone now...

You will need to go into cydia and search for "SUPREME PREFERENCES"

Open winterboard and enable supreme pref. and respring

Goto settings>supreme preferences>applications>phone and enable "Cellular Data Editing" back out to main settings page and click on general>network>cellular data

You will need to input these settings for mms

APN: att.mvno
    proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
    mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com

and that should do it...
    Last edited by samuel8614; 01-03-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Default GUIDE: Another way to install ST's data, MMS, and tethering settings to your iDevice
    Alright, here is my setup guide. It should give SIM swappers a better option than the mobileconfig solution mention earlier in this thread:

Preface:
    -This will override any AT&T carrier bundle installed on your iPhone, including the default one. If you use other at&t SIMs (including from MVNOs such as Locus, Consumer Cellular, H20, Jolt, or AirVoice) and/or other modified at&t carrier bundles, this method may not help you and you should follow the mobileconfig instructions otherwise in this topic to retain data access.
    -This guide assumes you are on iOS 4.0 to 4.2.1. If you are not, it might be a good idea to update to 4.0 or above (if you need to retain a carrier unlock, go to blog.iphone-dev.org and grab pwnagetool). You should also remove the mobileconfig file from the topic if you had been using it (go to Settings--->General--->Profile and remove the config file).

STEPS
    1) Go to the following site, download the linked file and follow the instructions in the zip file: CommCenter Patch by wortel (4ALL4)
    This will allow your iPhone to accept unofficial carrier files (including the one I'm posting here).
    2) Download the attached file below, unzip it (be careful Safari users, it may try to unzip the file twice), and place the .ipcc file someplace you can find later.
    3) If you have iTunes open, quit iTunes. Then, depending on the OS, do the following:
    a) Mac: Go into Terminal and put in the following:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool YES
    b) Win: Go into Command Prompt and put in the following:
    Code:
    "%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
    4) With the ST SIM in your iPhone, plug it into your computer and startup iTunes
    5) Once iTunes starts and you can get to your iPhone's summary tab: shift-click (WIN) or option-click (MAC) the "Update" or "Check for Updates" button. A popup window should appear.
    6) Find the folder you put the .ipcc file you downloaded in step 2 and double click the .ipcc file. iTunes should then popup saying 'Updating Carrier Settings" or similar. Once that is done, you should be good to go.
    7) (Optional, but recommended) Restart/Power cycle your iPhone.
    8) To check to see if it worked, go into Settings--->General--->About and look for Carrier. Carrier should say 'Straight Talk 10.0' if it installed correctly.

Footnotes:
    -You should be able to enable FaceTime on compatible devices, as its settings are in the file. YMMV if it allows FT activation on your device.
    -MMS, tethering, and data should all work. It may take some time for tethering to show/start up.
    -This file should allow you to modify the APN settings (Settings--->General--->Network--->Cellular Data Network) if you need to change them for later use. IMO, the APN settings shouldn't be tinkered with once you install this file.
    -This should allow you to manually select a network (Settings--->Carrier) when needed. The setting doesn't always show up and may require you to restart your phone or remove/swap SIMs to reenable it.
    -I don't know if there is a CommCenter patch for the iPad. If there is such a patch, then you can also use the ipcc file here to make your SIM work well on a jailbroken iPad. If not, then the aforementioned mobileconfig method should work for your needs.
    -The carrier name in the status bar will read the following when the following 'networks' are in use:
    HOME: Straight Talk
    ROAM: Roaming
    --HOME is the default name for at&t's AND T-Mobile's network on ST SIMs, so don't be alarmed if you're not getting 3G when it says "Straight Talk" as you may either have disabled 3G (Settings--->General--->Network), in an AT&T area without 3G (parts of the midwest, for example) or you are on the T-Mobile network. You can find out what network you're on by going into field test mode (Pull up phone dialer, type *3001#12345#* and Tap Call) or by installing the Signal app in Cydia.

-Credits & Acknowledgments:
    SpookyET, StealthBravo
    Those who posted the mobileconfig files and APN settings here & on HowardForums. Because of you, we can all enjoy inexpensive iPhone usage.

Any other comments or questions, let me know. I hope this helps some of you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 02-08-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: a couple things needed correcting

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

metalica2805 (07-02-2011), My2choyz (07-06-2011), vtails (09-21-2011)

I already have everything working. Except for visual voice mail. Any suggestions on that will be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmcneely View Post
    I already have everything working. Except for visual voice mail. Any suggestions on that will be appreciated.
    Unfortunately VisualVoiceMail is impossible with ST. VVM requires your account's voicemail account to be on a subset of at&t's voicemail servers that supports it. That is done only via at&t directly by buying an applicable feature that adds VVM (iPhone data, Blackberry VVM, for example).

Since none of the devices Tracfone sells for ST offers such VVM, you're kinda stuck.

I'd suggest using Google Voice, YouMail, or some other similar system if you're wanting visual voicemail like the one used on a typical iPhone. However, I haven't setup call forwarding on my ST account (as I already use GV and don't have anyone know my ST number... it just recieves the GV number's calls), so that may or may not be possible to do.

Hope this helps.

ADDENDUM: I noticed on your other 2 posts that you're using Supreme Preferences and it's not sticking the APN settings during a restart of the phone. That doesn't help when push requires an APN connection as early as possible to send you updates.
    I'd suggest doing my tutorial post above that should fix your issues. It also been said here on on HowardForums that Supreme Preferences has issues with the most recent firmware versions and should be avoided if possible.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 01-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.

I'll try that and see if it helps. I haven't tried google voice yet either. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let u know what happens.

Has anyone used the straight talk nokia e71 in a iphone 4? Should the setting be the same as the iphone 3gs ? And if so i was reading about u have to have cydia for mms witch the iphone has to be jailbroken ok but with iphone 4 do u have to teather jailbrake meaning its not a true jailbrake so ever time ur phone dies or shuts off for who know what do u have to jailbrake it ever time with redsnow an what about the update 4.2.1?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nichole73018 View Post
    Has anyone used the straight talk nokia e71 in a iphone 4? Should the setting be the same as the iphone 3gs ? And if so i was reading about u have to have cydia for mms witch the iphone has to be jailbroken ok but with iphone 4 do u have to teather jailbrake meaning its not a true jailbrake so ever time ur phone dies or shuts off for who know what do u have to jailbrake it ever time with redsnow an what about the update 4.2.1?
    As far as the iphone 4 situation: The instructions posted here are the exact same for the i4 as for the 3GS (the patch I posted links for in this topic are for all iPhones with 4.0 or above). You'll need to make the SIM physically fit (i.e. cut it up into a MicroSIM size), and you won't get MMS set up without a jailbreak. The short end of it: if you want MMS or tethering, you're forced to use 4.1 or below for it to be untethered (or have your SHSHs saved for 4.0-4.1 and downgrade) OR live with the tethered JB on 4.2.1 for the forseeable future.

Data, using the mobileconfig file mentioned in this topic, should work without a jailbreak.

Default help...
    so I have a iphone4 with straight talk.. i am not jailbroken or unlocked.. i know i have to wait to jailbreak for mms to work.. but data doesnt work. I used the config file and nothing.. I even use the info genesis posted above and nothing.. Problem is when i go to c prompt in windows it gives me an error message with the stuff i type in.. please help...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gqii4you View Post
    so I have a iphone4 with straight talk.. i am not jailbroken or unlocked.. i know i have to wait to jailbreak for mms to work.. but data doesnt work. I used the config file and nothing.. I even use the info genesis posted above and nothing.. Problem is when i go to c prompt in windows it gives me an error message with the stuff i type in.. please help...
    I'd suggest finding out where iTunes is on your computer, get it's folder path and replace the "%Program Files%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" with the path you found. Remember to put it in parenthesis like this example:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
    That might help.

Also, in order to use the method I posted, you MUST jailbreak. You should be able to jailbreak using the most recent version of greenpois0n.

If the mobileconfig profile isn't working for you either (and it should, even on a stock, non-jailbroken iPhone), then a firmware restore might be necessary anyway.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 02-08-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added info

Hey genesis. Can u send me the ipcc file for ST? All I can find is the mobile config. And of course the deb file.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmcneely View Post
    Hey genesis. Can u send me the ipcc file for ST? All I can find is the mobile config. And of course the deb file.
    It's at the bottom of this post.

It should still be active and downloadable. If not, shoot me a PM.

Am i able to port my existing straight talk number(cdma phone) to the e71 or do i need to register a new number to be able to use in my iphone?

Default iphone 4 with straight talk sim
    Hey guys! Still confused.
    I have jailbroken iphone 4. Can I buy cheap Straight talk GSM phone with $45 unlimited plan and use its sim with my iphone? Or it must be E71 like? Thanx in advance.
    Last edited by durkh8r; 03-27-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stl1219 View Post
    Am i able to port my existing straight talk number(cdma phone) to the e71 or do i need to register a new number to be able to use in my iphone?
    Possibly, but apparently there's reports over at HowardForums that isn't 100% effective. Best bet is to port out to Google Voice or another carrier (temporarily) if you want to keep your current number.
    Remember, in either case, you will lose whatever airtime saved on your CDMA-linked account.
    Quote Originally Posted by durkh8r View Post
    Hey guys! Still confused.
    I have jailbroken iphone 4. Can I buy cheap Straight talk GSM phone with $45 unlimited plan and use its sim with my iphone? Or it must be E71 like? Thanx in advance.
    It has to be one the $200 Nokia models (E71/6790). Those are the only ones with the compatible SIM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

durkh8r (03-29-2011)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast