Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will updating my carrier settings lock my iphone??

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Will updating my carrier settings lock my iphone??
    I have an iphone 3gs 4.0.1 JB and unlocked with ultrasn0w. I am using vodafone in italy and i keep getting these "carrier setting update notifications" whenever i hook my iphone up to itunes or whenever i go into settings/general/about i get an over the air popup trying to update the settings...my only concern is that it will lock my phone again leaving me screwed. Is this carrier setting updates for vodafone italy? And wont mess up my phone will it? Cuz i would be oober pissed if my iphone locks...being in the jailbreaking and unlocking scene we all know it is not always a good idea to "UPDATE" especially if you are unsure of what it may do to your iphone.

Anybody familiar with this? Any insight on the matter would be great, thanks in advance.

i have a similar setup, except iirc i jb'ed with jailbreakme.com. also receiving the same itunes message. "itunes needs to check for an update to the carrier settings for your iphone." itunes 9.2.1 (5).

i am able to find in the forums both people who have updated and been fine, and those who have had bad consequences.

further insight greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    i have a similar setup, except iirc i jb'ed with jailbreakme.com. also receiving the same itunes message. "itunes needs to check for an update to the carrier settings for your iphone." itunes 9.2.1 (5).

i am able to find in the forums both people who have updated and been fine, and those who have had bad consequences.

further insight greatly appreciated.
    What carrier are you on? What Jailbreak method really does not matter. I have vodafone and i updated my carrier settings and everything was fine. But i am not sure of other carriers tho. Should be ok as its just an update to the settings and not the baseband..but dont take my word on that.

My ip4 was on voda jailbreak at jailbreakme.com unlocked with limerain now using O2 PAYG. carrirer settings updated without upsetting anything else. As long as you don't hit the update firmware button you should be fine.

Edit
    it was jailbroken with limera1n and unlocked with ultrasn0w through cydia you can also goto jailbreakme.com through safari. Sorry that was misleading before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz229 View Post
    My ip4 was on voda jailbreak at jailbreakme.com unlocked with limerain now using O2 PAYG. carrirer settings updated without upsetting anything else. As long as you don't hit the update firmware button you should be fine.
    Well I understand that updating carrier settings is ok, but there is no such thing as unlocking with limera1n. So u might wanna edit that and put ultrasn0w so people actually know what you mean. Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Well I understand that updating carrier settings is ok, but there is no such thing as unlocking with limera1n. So u might wanna edit that and put ultrasn0w so people actually know what you mean. Ciao
    Your right my mistake it was jailbroken with limera1n and unlocked with ultrasn0w through cydia