Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: US alternatives to T-Mobile and AT&T?

I just got this 1 minute ago....live chat with H2O on 10/04/2010 @ 11:15 am central

(12:15:07)SUPPORT:Welcome to H2OWIRELESS. Please wait for the next available representative.
    (12:15:38)SUPPORT: Thank you for contacting customer service, my name is YOMA. How can I help you?
    (12:15:53)chris: Hi. Will 3G work on an iphone?
    (12:16:17)SUPPORT: we don't have 3g network
    (12:16:36)chris: Oh, ok so, but edge will work for data?
    (12:17:07)SUPPORT: YE
    (12:17:09)SUPPORT: yes

I just got H2O wireless, Its 3G where AT&T has 3G coverage, which includes most metropolitan area's so if you have 3G on AT&T in your area, you have 3G coverage

Also there is no particular limit to data on H2O, they say its 50MB but I went ahead to tested it on 3G, downloaded 230MB last night, My data still works fine! and since its prepaid all they would do is stop your data for a particular month if you go over but it hasn't happened yet.

They also use a different apn than AT&T, they APN is att.mnvo and no username/password!

Hope this helps

rishidhar can you please put the exact settings you put on your iphone for h20 wireless. I got the data plan on my phone for 10 dollars more a month. I would really appreciate it...

I been using simple mobiles $60 unlimited call, text, and data on my 2g iPhone. For a wail. I can use all features on it and data Im happy with it. I had t mobile before and paid more for less. I get good coverege.

Quote Originally Posted by strat2356 View Post
    rishidhar can you please put the exact settings you put on your iphone for h20 wireless. I got the data plan on my phone for 10 dollars more a month. I would really appreciate it...
    This what I have, and it works fine for Internet and MMS.

Cellular Data

APN: att.mvno
    User Name:
    Password:

MMS

APN: att.mvno
    User Name:
    Password:
    MMS Proxy: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
    MMS Message Size: 614400
    UUS UA Prof Url:

Thanks

i just got Simple Mobile today, and it works perfect in my 2G iphone. I didn't even have to put anything in the APN just hit reset settings and done. How can you beat $60 for unlimited everything? I had a choice with H2O and my thinking if you horrible att coverage then its still going to suck. To each his own

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crespo213 View Post
    I been using simple mobiles $60 unlimited call, text, and data on my 2g iPhone. For a wail. I can use all features on it and data Im happy with it. I had t mobile before and paid more for less. I get good coverege.
    Yeah, Simple uses T-Mobile's network so essentially you're getting the same coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks
    Is anybody that is using Simple Mobile having any problems with mms receiving? Ok this is my prob, I can send with no problem but here lately my receiving has went down to like a day late. When I first started using S.M I had no problems worked perfectly, it just started doin this in the last two months.

Does anybody know what's up or a fix?

I've been using Simple Mobile on my 3GS for almost 2 months now. I love it, except no short code sms, no 3 way, and I can't use youmail. I actually havent had anybody send me any mms messages yet. For the price, compared to what I was paying T-Mobile, it works good.

Would I have to unlock it to use it on h20 or can I pop their sim card in?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HayWire View Post
    Would I have to unlock it to use it on h20 or can I pop their sim card in?
    You definitely need to unlock it if your iphone is locked to ATNT.

You do not need to unlock your iPhone to use it with H2O.

Quote Originally Posted by jeradin View Post
    do you use them?

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    You definitely need to unlock it if your iphone is locked to ATNT.
    NOT on h2O wireless

Quote Originally Posted by jeradin View Post
    You ARE 100% right
    do you use them?
    I do....and it works JUST FINE.....you can even get an At@t UNACTIVATED simcard and activate it with h20
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

i was worrried with thier data offerings only being 50mb.. is that going to be enough? also, is it 3g?

i was worrried with thier data offerings only being 50mb.. is that going to be enough? also, is it 3g?
    Depends on what you be using the data for. I have data with t-mobile (edge) and I crack about 75mb per month. Mainly I just check websites and my email. Never videos because there's no point.

And no it will not be 3G only edge speed.

The SIM from the Straight Talk Nokia E71 will work in a locked iPhone. There's a big ol' thread about it over on HoFo. Basically, it's $45 unlimited everything and 3G does work since they're an AT&T MVNO.

Thanks

^Can u post a link to this tread at HoFo? Please. I've been looking for a thread like that.

Looks like H2O is the way to go!

I'm in the Phoenix area and my dad is in major need of a new phone(he's still using a Razr V3, lol).

As far as coverage, the main areas this phone would be used would be Phoenix, Las Vegas and Chicago with the potential that it would be needed on the drive from Chicago to Phoenix OR Phoenix to Vegas.

Here's my live chat script:

(09:44:56)SUPPORT:Welcome to H2OWIRELESS. Please wait for the next available representative.
    (09:46:59)SUPPORT: Thank you for contacting customer service, my name is DAICYS. How can I help you?
    (09:47:40)Clint: I would like to give my dad my old iPhone 3G and had a few questions about your service
    (09:48:42)Clint: Do I need to unlock my phone to work with H2O?
    (09:50:24)SUPPORT: yes the iPhone must be Jail broken or unlocked
    (09:52:05)Clint: ok. I am reading on the Modmyi forums that it does not need to be unlocked. My only concern is that if I unlock it I will lose GPS functionality as the latest unlock for my BB 05.14.02 requires updating to BB 06.15
    (09:52:32)Clint: Can my dad keep his old number from US Cellular? He is not currently under contract, only month to month
    (09:53:49)SUPPORT: yes he can keep his phone number, we need the accpunt number and password from the other company
    (09:54:06)Clint: cool
    (09:54:21)SUPPORT: he also needs to purchase a H20 sim card
    (09:54:29)Clint: what about the data plan- I see that it is limited to 50MB/mo, what are the overage charges?
    (09:58:49)SUPPORT: the plan offers 50 MB, you wont be able to use more than that.Every month you will have 50 MB
    (09:59:19)Clint: So there's no way to pay extra if going over?
    (10:00:30)Clint: I guess it's not really a big deal though since he won't be using YouTube or downloading content from iTunes. And if he needs more he can always use our home Wi-Fi
    (10:00:57)SUPPORT: there's no way to pay extra
    (10:01:34)Clint: My last question is- How strong is the coverage in Phoenix? Chicago? Las Vegas? These three areas are where we spend the most time, with Phoenix being the most(about 8-9mo/yr).
    (10:02:47)SUPPORT: for your information with the 50 MB he can Check 8,000 emails ,View 2,500 website pages,Download 130 photos
    (10:03:11)Clint: Wow! That's more than enough!
    (10:03:36)SUPPORT: May I have the zip code for those areas, so I can check on the map
    (10:06:37)Clint: 85338, 60657 and 89109
    (10:06:54)SUPPORT: allow me one moment thank you
    (10:12:01)SUPPORT: unfortunally there's no service available in this zip code 85338. We have the best coverage for 60657 and 89109
    (10:12:59)Clint: This is just outside of Phoenix though and I noticed that there are a few H2O retailers within 5mi. Are you sure it does not work here?
    (10:17:57)SUPPORT: According to At&t map there's no service availble. This is the link that you can check Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans - Wireless from AT&T

It's weird that he says it won't work here in Goodyear, AZ b/c AT&T's coverage map doesn't cover here even though my iPhone and my wife's work fine(aside from all the dropped calls thanks to AT&T's sucky network).

The only other concern is finding the consensus as to whether I NEED to unlock or not- H2O rep says yes(well he said JB or unlock, phone is already JB w/ Pwnage) and posters on here have said YES and NO. Considering my dad probably won't be using GPS on the phone(he has a Magellan) I guess there's no harm in unlocking with 06.15 and risking losing the GPS.

Update, I purchased $10 pre-paid H2O sim to test without unlocking my old 8GB 3G that is JB with 4.2.1 on BB 05.14.02 and it works!

So you do NOT have to unlock to use H2O!

Now I have to convince my dad to ditch US Cellular and train him to use the iPhone so he can have a much better phone with a much better plan for less than what he's paying now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast