Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DOCOMO vs. GTA on Guam (only one sells unlocked phones!)

Default DOCOMO vs. GTA on Guam (only one sells unlocked phones!)
    Hi guys, I've been away from the boards for a year due to a military deployment.

While I was away, Guam got the iPhone officially offered by two different vendors: DOCOMO and GTA.

I've looked into it, as a LOT of my friends out here have been gobbling up the GTA version, since their 3000 minute plan can call the states, while the DOCOMO version costs 10cents per minute for calls off Guam. There is a LOT of false information out there (the GTA clerks know NOTHING about iPhones and have promised a lot of people that their phones will be unlocked by GTA at the end of the contracts), so here's a copy of the e-mail I just recieved from their offices stating that GTA will NOT unlock the iPhone from their network at the completion of the two year contract. So, a lot of military people are going to be unhappy and/or unlocking themselves when they rotate off the island.

DOCOMO has told me they sell a FACTORY UNLOCKED version of the phone, and I'm waiting on verification from their offices (in writing). When I was last active on the boards there were no unlocked 3G phones, so if it is a true "FACTORY UNLOCK" that will mean no more worrying about re-unlocking after every software update, correct? I'll only have to re-jailbreak! Does anyone have experience with Factory Unlocked iPhones and verify that for me? I'm trying to educate as many new iPhone users as possible on this little island.

By the way... anyone want to buy a unlocked/jailbroken 2G? Since I'll be upgrading... hehe

Good afternooin Mr. Xxxxx,

I verified with our main office and unfortunately we won't be able to unlock/jailbreak the iPhones even after the two year contract has been reached or terminated. I apologize for the misinformation.

Thank you and have a GREAT day!

Eroll T. Valencia
    Frontline
    GTA Teleguam
    GTA Teleguam
    624 N. Marine Corps Dr.
    Tamuning, GU 96913
    24-Hour Call Center: (671) 644-4GTA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message (including any attachments) contains information that is confidential and proprietary to GTA and/or TeleGuam Holdings LLC.
    Last edited by mad_llib; 12-14-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Default GTA reply
    We sincerely apologize there might have been some confusion on this process. However, at this time GTA TeleGuam DOES unlock iPhones for customers if they are completely two year contracts or wish to pay to get out of their contract. We have contacted the Manager of the GTA Representative you referenced below to make sure they follow up and make sure our people are trained correctly.

As you mentioned we have some great plans and offer a variety of options or military (suspension during deployment, worldwide roaming, etc.) as well as civilians. My name is Ashley Moffat and I am the Quality Manager here at GTA, so I often look at forums to see what people are writing and make sure information is correct. If you have any further questions or want to speak to someone at our locations please don't hesitate to give me a call, my direct line is (671) 644-0154 and you can also reach our 24/7 Call Center at (671) 644-4GTA (4482).

Once again we apologize for the confusion and we look forward to serving you!

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyClare View Post
    At this time GTA TeleGuam DOES unlock iPhones for customers if they are completely two year contracts or wish to pay to get out of their contract.
    Turns out, Ashley Clare actually lives across the hall from me... and I know her father (a big whig at GTA). it is true that GTA now will perform unlocks for people. Yay!

Default Good to hear
    I have alot of friends who have gone with GTA and with their new iPhone. I don't think they really know the difference between an unlocked phone or locked phone, but I was jealous of them. I have had Docomo for the past three 2.5 years and I'm almost certain they don't have iPhones for sale on any of their plans. I haven't been to the store in about two months, but I just checked the website and am sure they don't offer it. I had to go back to the states and buy an unlocked iPhone from the Apple store in TX. I had the opportunity to go with GTA, but decided against it due too alot of misguided information from said people.