Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
10-02-2009, 03:54 PM #1Configuring Iphone to use Airtel - India Net on Phone ( NOP ) / Airtel Online
IT IS MOST DEFINITELY POSSIBLE TO USE AIRTEL NOP (NET ON PHONE) WITH IPHONE
I am currently using a US Iphone 3G - 8GB Firmware 3.0 (jailbreak & unlock)
The trick is to ALSO change the proxy address and port with the APN
By default, inserting an airtel sim card in your iphone will disable the APN / carrier settings in the settings tab.
You may enable it for future use if you wish but it is not required (see various tutorials on the web to know how)
Steps (For Maharashtra it has worked, I do not know about other states)
1) I enabled the NOP service by sending sms "ANOP" (without the exclamation marks) to 51619 (Sim card is in my Iphone at this time)
2) The next day i receive an sms that NOP service has been activated
3) I sent the sms "NOP" to 52567 to receive the settings (sim card is in my iphone)
4) I receive the sms that settings have been sent but none are received
5) I put my Sim card in a nokia n85 and send sms "NOP" to 52567 again and receive the settings and save them
6) restart my n85 phone and verified that Internet is working
7) note the settings from access point NOP (access point - airtelwap.com, proxy address - 220.127.116.11, port - 8080
8) insert the sim back in the iphone
9) at this point it may be possible to edit the settings directly through modifying the carrier settings .plist file in the iphone framework (search the web to know how) but i preferred to use the "Iphone configuration utility" from the apple iphone website
10) create a new profile in the "iphone configuration utility" and just edit the "APN" section
11) create a new payload with the details from step 7 - leave user name and password blank
12) Export the configuration file to the desktop
13) If you want, you can email the file to yourself on the iphone as an attachment and iphone will handle the rest
14) OR -- if your iphone is connected to your computer with USB then you can go in the devices section of the iphone config util > configuration profile tab > and install the profile which you have created.
15) The iphone will ask for conformation before installing
16) after installation is complete. reboot your iphone and you should be able to connect to the internet.
MAIL is giving me problem. Seems airtel blocks the ports for IMAP and other ports except browsing so a default gmail account does not work but a POP configured account works. I think any internet radio, skype, VOIP software will also not work.
I did not get time to download and test anything else
Please post your feedback
Thanks. Good luck.
Last edited by sagem2000; 10-02-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to sagem2000 For This Useful Post:
11-04-2009, 02:32 PM #2
Hi do you thin you can upload the config file? I think settings will be same across Maharashtra for Airtel. It will be lot easier/proven method to use your mobile config file.
Thanks - VC
11-06-2009, 11:26 AM #3
Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone
Go to it from your phone. Itll do it all for you. even add the profile to the apn settings in your phone.Black 16gb iPhone 4S 5.1.1
Macbook Air OSX 10.8.2
04-23-2010, 02:22 PM #4
hey friends...do you all have any idea how to activate something like this on vodafone india ??
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM #5