Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone on Australia's Vodafone-no Data/edge

Question iPhone on Australia's Vodafone-no Data/edge
    Hi all
    I have unlocked my phone and it works with my Australian Vodafone account. However i only have data access via my WiFi network. I still see the "E" for edge network that i was familiar with while on AT&T but when i try to access data over the mobile phon network i get error message that i cannot activate or access the Edge network.

Can anyone help me understand what edge exactly is? is it an at&t system or a global system, and do i have a way of getting data on my vodafone account?

did you try switching your APN settings?

Quote Originally Posted by SebD View Post
    did you try switching your APN settings?
    nope i am not a developer
    can follow instructions quite well
    but dont know what apn is

If you bought your iPhone from the United States it is set to use the Cingular EDGE network. You must change those settings over the your carriers APN...

Goto -> Settings -> General -> EDGE

This is where you change those settings.

Here are a few:

http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/index.php...r_APN_Settings

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SebD For This Useful Post:

splurge (09-20-2007)

thanks
    Couldnt be clearer help..appreciate it
    Disappointingly however, i find that the list does not include settings for Vodafona australia. Would you know if this is just an omission due to lack of demand yet and maybe someone can tell me what the settings are, or if this is endemic and i need to switch my carrier to something like TELSTRA in Australia?

Regards
    Splurge

EDIT: i should have looked before i asked. With a little searching i found the settings to enable edge for iphone on Vodafone. For any other interested vodafone australia users to APN setting that has worked for me is:

go to SETTINGS>GENERAL>NETWORK>EDGE

put in:
    APN: vfinternet.au
    USERNAME: [leave blank]
    PASSWORD: [leave blank]
    Last edited by splurge; 09-20-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: found solution

7. The Following User Says Thank You to splurge For This Useful Post:

duzty1 (10-24-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by splurge View Post
    thanks
    Disappointingly however, i find that the list does not include settings for Vodafona australia. Would you know if this is just an omission due to lack of demand yet and maybe someone can tell me what the settings are, or if this is endemic and i need to switch my carrier to something like TELSTRA in Australia?

Regards
    Splurge

EDIT: i should have looked before i asked. With a little searching i found the settings to enable edge for iphone on Vodafone. For any other interested vodafone australia users to APN setting that has worked for me is:

put in:
    Hi, was just reading your info on vodafone settings, and am also a vodafone user, unlike you i got my fone via ebay and all works fine accept for data, i changed my settings in apn, but every time i go to use net, I get a message " Could not activate EDGE: You are not subscribred to EDGE" is there anyway that you know of to use vodafone live...,or ie getting the settings some way, as you do with a normal registered phone

my only recommendation is to phone vodafone..most will fall over themselves to help you and are quite envious that i have iphone even if they are not supposed to support it. I am sorry however i dont know the answer and i am barely just competent enough (lol) to have got this far. Unless i am reading it wrong souds like you need a data-plan with vodafone?

Go with optus. ;D
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    Go with optus. ;D
    so i am not committed to vodafone, although i do have a longstanding account with them. Is it just presonal preference or is there a technical reason why an Australian iphone owner might choose:

vodafone
    Optus, or
    Telstra

?

I just got an VODAFONE SIM and waiting for my iphone to ship to SYDNEY,

so i am not committed to vodafone, although i do have a longstanding account with them. Is it just presonal preference or is there a technical reason why an Australian iphone owner might choose:

vodafone
    Optus, or
    Telstra

?
    Bcoz thats preety much what ther is lol
    Last edited by yowiphone; 09-29-2007 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

oh not...maybe i didnt phrase correctly
    i was wondering if any one of the carriers is better than the other
    hope you are not too disappointed about the 1.1.1 and bricking
    My second iphone just arrived via NYC today and i am wating to see what the status is with the dev teams efforts to get around v1.1.1 before i unlock

thanks

Regards
    Splurge

put in:
    I believe you need to have one of the Vodafone Au cap plans for EDGE to work, it did for me but be careful because after i got my monthly bill which is normally $79 i also got extra $120 charge for data use, they charge $1 per 5min cap and after downloading your emails every day with all the junk mail come with it takes some time, also browsing safari it all adds up , iphone was made for USA and now for Europe, And they all sign two year contract and all have unlimited data plan, in Australia i don't believe there is any mobile carrier which will do that , Vodafone $50 data plan will get you 200meg data download, anyway i have deleted my Vodafone EDGE settings , and now i only use it with Wi-Fi its much faster anyway

I am using vodaphone edge in Europe on my unlocked iphone

I just had to call their support number locally for settings

I'm on Vodafone Australia as well. I've been told that you can't use EDGE on this network. People have moved to Telstra EDGE and GPRS without any problems.

$10 a month for 2GB I believe.

Many thanks I have just received an unlocked 8GB Iphone and have a Vodaphone cap plan. I typed the vfinternet.au as you posted and it worked!!! Well done you.

hi did you have the prepaid cap plan ? mine one is prepaid , but it doesn't work at all

Talking I know how to do it! ;P
    Go to settings-> General -> Edge
    then set your APN settings to access point-> vfinternet.au and no username and pass

point your browser over here -> http://wiki.mig33.com/?q=node/30
    the site will tell you all the APN settings from Albania to Vietnam in alphabetical order! I found this site because like u i got an AT&T iphone thats ready to be unlocked when i move to sydney.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bdk184 For This Useful Post:

sneaky squirrel (06-03-2008)

Default edge on vodafone does work, but is sooo expensive!!
    yes i think i got it going also using vodafone prepaid, I ended up topping up $10 on the 'extras' pack, & noticed a day later that I no longer had any credit, not that i remember actually using it, i think i wasted all my credit on checking emails (which is set to auto check every 1/2hr).

I think to use edge you'd have to have VERY DEEP pockets! you'd prob. be better subscribing to telstra WiFi service (or be like me @ search for open APS for free wifi).. if u live in a major capital city. & besides who wants EDGE? its soooooo slow!!

this works in australia i nse these settings and i dont get iny issues

thanks

Regards
    Splurge

put in:

Default Getting EDGE to Work on Vodafone
    Hi,

Many of you seems to be getting the error that you are not subscribe to EDGE when you use the APN: vfinternet.au on your iPhone. I have the same problem and I managed to get it to work. First of all, if you use Vodafone cap plan BUT you signed up from Crazy John instead of Vodafone, then you will get the error describe here. This is because Crazy John bundle everything into their cap plans (international calls and data). Eventhough Crazy John uses Vodafone network, they uses a different data carrier. Use the following setting:

APN: purtona.net
    Username: (blank)
    Password: (blank)

Tell me if this works. It works well for me.