Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Orange Uk no calls/ late sms

Default Orange Uk no calls/ late sms
    hi
    i am relatively new to the iPhone but know my way around an Apple product pretty well. I bought my iPhone last week and have only recently been able to get my hands on a rebel sim to use my UK pay monthly sim card. Worked a treat. However, i'm finding now- a day later- that the phone wont accept incoming calls (tells person ringing that i'm temporarily unavailable) and sms are arriving very very very late indeed. I have found that if i ring my voicemail new sms' are delivered to my phone.
    Making calls and sending messages are fine.
    Ive been on to Orange who were very helpful and have tried increasing the ringing length and turning off answer phone etc but to no avail. I have also sent my self a sms and it gets delivered instantly- so why can't others!
    sorry for the long ramble but i've found these forums really useful and thought i'd better say everything!
    thanks in advance
    sam

Rebel SIMs are the last one I would buy - they are truly awful and their CS is non existent.
    What FW are you on? If you are on 2.20 or below you can use YellowSn0w, if not I would try a different make of Piggyback SIM.
    But as for late texts, that's just Orange - their texts have always been appalling, taking up to 3 days to arrive. I've never had that problem on any other UK network.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by samhouseman View Post
    hi
    i am relatively new to the iPhone but know my way around an Apple product pretty well. I bought my iPhone last week and have only recently been able to get my hands on a rebel sim to use my UK pay monthly sim card. Worked a treat. However, i'm finding now- a day later- that the phone wont accept incoming calls (tells person ringing that i'm temporarily unavailable) and sms are arriving very very very late indeed. I have found that if i ring my voicemail new sms' are delivered to my phone.
    Making calls and sending messages are fine.
    Ive been on to Orange who were very helpful and have tried increasing the ringing length and turning off answer phone etc but to no avail. I have also sent my self a sms and it gets delivered instantly- so why can't others!
    sorry for the long ramble but i've found these forums really useful and thought i'd better say everything!
    thanks in advance
    sam
    I'm having exactly the same issue since jailbreaking to 3.0. text messages only seem to arrive when somebody calls me and even then they seem to get routed to the answerphone. Going to try a restore tonight then I'll be onto orange to see if they can send a new sim to see if that fixes the problem.

After researching this issue it appears to be an issue with 3.0. I've done alsorts to try to resolve the problem and it's even an issue with the official 02 sim in the phone. (calls going straight to answerphone, SMS arriving hours after being sent or not at all) loads of info on the offical apple forums. Looks like we'll need a FW update to resolve.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i had these probl;ems for months, no matter what firmware my iphone 3g was on, but i can tell you what i did to sort it out.

so you know i have tried 3 different types of these piggy back sims and have had 4 rebel sim things, but what i found out is its related to the 3g part

if you turn off 3g then all is fine and works well, apart from if you turn the phone off for more than an hour then you'll most probs have problems when you turn it back on like i did,

if 3g is turned on, for me this worked, you have to pop on a website, just any to create an active connection to the web and there calls came through and so did texts no probs, but again, if i dont touch the internet for about 1 hour, it stops working again, i my self am on orange, so i just went to the wap.orange.co.uk to create that connection, but when finished i turned off 3g to sort that problem out,

i originaly had a old payg orange 2.5g sim card (which cant use 3g modes) generaly had no problem at all with it and one of those piggy back sims, but again i wasnt able to use 3g anyway because of my old iorange sim... i then upgraded my sim card to a orange 3g sim so i can use 3g on the iphone, which is when i had this problem started, which was about 2 months after the iphone 3g came out... i have been on orange 3g contract now for 3 months, and again the problem you and i have/had, with the piggy back sims, including the rebel, on which ever firmware you wish, i have tried them all with no difference...

but a complete solution that has now worked perfectly, even with 3g turned on for days on end, i have no problem now

a goodstep to take, restore the latest update from apple (3.0) and let it do it properly, including the bassband update, when done dont restore backup, do this from fresh, best way i found.... using a o2 sim card, (i used a pay as you go you get free off the internet) to active the iphone properly... then jailbrake it using redsn0w the dev team released, once done, use cydia and install ultrasn0w, and bingo,

iphone unlocked with out no rebel crap or any other, and works perfectly.... made my iphone that one step better and im glad not to be using them crap piggy back sims no more

JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT UPGRADE THE IPHONE TO THE 3.1 UPDATE WHEN IT COMES OUT, AS THIS WILL BRAKE THE ULTRASN0W UNLOCK,
    look on this forum for a fix to the new update when it comes, to get ultrasnow working on newer update... (mostly by creating a custom firmware that does not update the bassband that apple would love you to have).

really hope this helps you out and fix tha problem once and for all like it has done me...

P.S. ultrasn0w only currently works on the iphone 3.0 update, so remember that.. or you'll most probs end up have to go back to a crap rebel or any other to use sims other than o2

Default solution
    I have the exact problem, I ave the UK pay n' go iPhone and I want to use it with my Orange number, I've done the jailbrake and unlock but phone won't receive any incoming calls or SMS ... I've tried to do the unlock three times but nothing works, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Ondrej

------------------
    Xprogress.com - Welcome to xprogress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki270 View Post
    I have the exact problem, I ave the UK pay n' go iPhone and I want to use it with my Orange number, I've done the jailbrake and unlock but phone won't receive any incoming calls or SMS ... I've tried to do the unlock three times but nothing works, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Ondrej

------------------
    make sure you have the orange sim inserted after you have jailbroke but before you run ultrasn0w...then when sn0w has done its magic do a hard reset by pressing power and home buttons together for 10seconds

this worked for me
    Let it ultrasn0w let it ultrasn0w let it ultrasn0w

Exclamation no incoming calls
    Thats exactly what I've done ... I can make outgoing calls, send SMS. Phone is Jailbroken via purplera1n and than unlockd with ultrasn0w. I can receive calls or SMS just for a while if I make some outgoing call or send a message. I think that most of the people here we talking about that ... And this phone I have is 3GS. I can see the full signal but call is transfered to the voicemail anyway ... it is really weird ...

Any HELP will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ondrej

------------------
    Last edited by rafiki270; 07-19-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Did you restore from a backup made on another phone?
    Do you have 3G reception or just Edge?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Default no incoming calls
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Did you restore from a backup made on another phone?
    Do you have 3G reception or just Edge?
    I just bought a new phone and I never had any iPhone or iPod before, than there was no backup or restore ... I just did the jailbrake and unlock. Because I don't have any mobile internet connection and the phone was pay n' go, I disabled EDGE as well as 3G and I am using just wifi ...

Thanks

Suprisingly I've found the solution to this. Turn off notifications and switch the email push setting to manual. You have to double check these settings especially if you use MobileMe. Make sure you check your advance settings to be sure that fetch and push are disabled. Reboot and all should now work. Let me know how you get on.

By the way, no need to me around with restore or rejailbreaking. This works just by altering the settings. Good luck.
    Last edited by Oddball; 07-20-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Oddball For This Useful Post:

spinny (07-23-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

doesn't work for me i can't recieve any call

You just need to mess around a lot, turning stuff on and off and finally it will work ... unfortunately that's what I've done and I have just a little idea how I've done that ... ... the SBSettings on Cydia helped a lot while disabling and enabling the different features of the iPhone with Orange SIM card. I think that it was really related to the SSH protocol ...
    --------------------------------

Thanks Oddball (20/7/09), that's seems to fix it for me (calls no longer go straight to voicemail). I do have one problem left which is that the little red circle on the phone icon does not disappear when I've listened to all current voicemails (seem to remember this problem on Orange way back on firware 1.1.1??) but I am getting there ...

I presume your deleting your messages but they are still showing as a notification on your SMS icon. Try turning off notifications in your settings then reboot. That should hopefully sort it.

Tavo_05 - Are you sure you have push and fetch disabled. Double check and if they are reboot and it still doesn't work post the settings you are using and I'll see if I can figure it out. Post your iPhone type and firmware version too.

Thanks again Oddball - it seemed to get fixed just by doing a few rounds of deleting messages on my Orange Voicemail and everything now seems sorted.

On a completely different track, I've started sometimes using a Vodafone PAYG Uk sim as I have a first generation iPhone and they have rather good 50p/day data download (and hence making it cheap and easy to surf the web when out and about, and off wifi). It works fine except for an annoying message when you dial out (something about call divert or similar [I've checked that call forwarding is off). I looked on the vodafone threads but there's nothing there about it, but maybe put up something later.

Crazy idea that anyone should have sorted this problem on this thread but just in case ...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

oddball

Iphone 2g 8gigas, 3.0, carrier orange Spain... maybe for this reason doesn't work...