Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ***PLEASE HELP*** - iPhone (contact) names not showing up...

Default ***PLEASE HELP*** - iPhone (contact) names not showing up...
    Hi there, I JUST got my iPhone (1.1.4 fully unlocked), and I want to know if there is a way to fix the issue when someone from my contacts call, that it ACTUALLY shows the person's name, not just the number... I live in Canada, so " +1 " then the number appears, but no name...

Going through a crap load of other threads, it appears as though there has been a fix to this, called "phone # to name fix"... something like that... and I followed the steps to get it from the iPhone Installer, but 1.1.4 doesn't support it and it wouldn't download...

Another person had the same issue (using 1.1.3) and someone wrote a response that seemed to work for everyone that responded to the thread...

the person wrote:

-----------------------------------------------

http://users.skynet.be/ra045246/

you will need
    1>PhoneNumber Dynamic Library
    2>Phone Number Templates

readme file for more details

if your country is not listed on the Phone Number Templates then you will need to add it by decomposing the country 's number formats

------------------------------------

I went to that link and it has a bunch of files to download (one specifically for 1.1.4) and a read me file that tells you how to modify a txt file or something like that from your iPhone files, and to add your country code, then it should work no problem...

But I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET THE IPHONE MOUNTED ON MY MAC!! Is there an easy way to modify the files from my iPhone from my computer? Because it appears that everyone seems to know how to do this, and am I the only one confused?

If someone knows the simplest way for me to fix the caller issue with 1.1.4, that would be great, but if it's not that simple, can someone please give me DETAILED instructions how to mount my iPhone onto my mac so I can follow that person's steps to get this problem fixed!

ANY help would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

Aaron

Thanks

i use a PC not a MAC, but basically you need to install openSSH via installer and turn it on. i believe this is a kind of internal server so the iphone can be mounted onto the mac/pc. I use "WinSCP" on my PC to access the iphone , i don't know what you use on a MAC? (google it for an answer) I also think that BSD Subsystem has to be installed aswell.

You basically enter your phones IP address "Settings > Wi-Fi > |>Active connection<| and the relevant username and password (again, many help files for this, is 'root' and 'alpine' for WinSCP on PC but will probably be different on a MAC) and then you can enter into the file directory of your phone and get to basically every file on the iphone. also use this to make custom SMS tones.

i got my phone at 1.1.1 and used the "phone # to name fix" and it is still active on my phone after restoring and updating. i guess its a permanent fix for the phone??

if you are still confused, can try downgrading your phone, fixing it using "phone # to name fix" and then upgrading the firmware again. the "phone # to name fix" has stuck through my downgrades and upgrades so should work, but, i suggest getting to grips with SSH because it is very useful! google it or look through the forums....

Reeko is right - the Phone # to Name fix from 1.1.1 seems to remain active on the phone despite various updates/restores.

However - please be advised, there is a caveat.

This is ONLY true if you restore the phone in the normal restore mode. (i.e. pressing the Home and Sleep buttons together, and allowing iTunes to do a regular restore).

However,

If you restore the phone in DFU mode i.e. Deep Recovery Mode (which is sometimes a cleaner method), then the Phone # to Name hack is removed.

For everyone out there, who is using iLiberty+ or ZiPhone - please make sure you take care of this issue, before entering DFU mode, prior to update/recovery/jailbreak/unlock etc.

Hope this helps you guys out there!