Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: o2 locking down IMEI numbers?

Exclamation o2 locking down IMEI numbers?
    I bought the iPhone the day it came out here in UK. I have just only got it jailbroken but cant get a o2 payasyougo sim card to work or even a normal o2 contract sim to work. I Have changed the lockdownd file so everything should just been fine right?
    Well i have heard from a few people in the last day that o2 are locking down IMEI numbers if the iphone hasn't had the o2 contract activated within 10 days of purchase? Is this true can any one confirm that this is what o2 are doing and if there is a by pass for this?

Well two mates at work and some guy in carphone wearhouse
    Last edited by Jezza; 11-25-2007 at 08:32 AM.

There is not a chance in hell 02 would lock down IMEI numbers after only 10 days - not sure if they are even legally allowed to for these reasons.

Anyway, have you unlocked your phone yet? - this is different from Jailbreaking and bypassing Activation - even if you use a 02 P&G (like I do) you still have to unlock.

I will save myself some time and just say use IPSF (search Google) - this will be the easiest solution for someone like yourself.

I AM NOT EMPLOYED BY IPSF, JUST A HAPPY CUSTOMER.

Quote Originally Posted by alexblanchard2 View Post
    There is not a chance in hell 02 would lock down IMEI numbers after only 10 days - not sure if they are even legally allowed to for these reasons.

Anyway, have you unlocked your phone yet? - this is different from Jailbreaking and bypassing Activation - even if you use a 02 P&G (like I do) you still have to unlock.

I will save myself some time and just say use IPSF (search Google) - this will be the easiest solution for someone like yourself.

I AM NOT EMPLOYED BY IPSF, JUST A HAPPY CUSTOMER.
    This what i thought too.

I only have used this method : http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15837
    Downgrading OTB new 1.1.2 UK o2 to 1.1.1 then upgrading etc jailbreak 1.1.2. Then changed the lockdownd that is provided in that link and then changed the permissions to 755.

I thought IPSF doesn't work on 1.1.2 UK version because of the boot loader?
    I'm really stuck now so many things are said on this site and gets confusing

Quoted

**I thought IPSF doesn't work on 1.1.2 UK version because of the boot loader?
    I'm really stuck now so many things are said on this site and gets confusing**

I know what you mean lol

thought it could do with a bump as with my last post

EDIT:
    Just looking on engadet and came across this http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/26/a...many/#comments
    Could it be mac locking down IMEI numbers?

Also while I'm posting why has this post be moved?
    Last edited by Jezza; 11-26-2007 at 12:37 PM.

O2 and Apple will NEVER lockdown functionality based on IMEI, they wouldn't be allowed to disable your iPhone just because you never signed a contract. If it breaks, sure the warranty is void, but that doesn't mean you did anything illegal.

People are so afraid to do anything with the things they own, and thats what apple wants!

You most likely used the wrong version of a file or did something wrong. Try all steps again from scratch, and make sure you have a lockdownd file for UK iPhones, so it will work on O2.

Good luck! Don't be so sceptical!

Right it's all working good and well now