Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: legal consequences?

Default legal consequences?
    I’m not really sure whether I’m posting in the right category, but I haven’t found a tread similar to this one.

I decided to get an iphone. Because I live in Europe (not in a country where it’s already in stores), a friend of mine who studies in the states will be so nice to get me one and send it back. Now I’m not totally aware with the possible legal consequences of unlocking the iphone, but another friend thinks that apple might use the credit card info and the imei to trace the phone back to us. I haven’t heard of anything similar, but I don’t want to risk it.
    So, any of you think, this may be a realistic scenario?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tömke View Post
    I’m not really sure whether I’m posting in the right category, but I haven’t found a tread similar to this one.

I decided to get an iphone. Because I live in Europe (not in a country where it’s already in stores), a friend of mine who studies in the states will be so nice to get me one and send it back. Now I’m not totally aware with the possible legal consequences of unlocking the iphone, but another friend thinks that apple might use the credit card info and the imei to trace the phone back to us. I haven’t heard of anything similar, but I don’t want to risk it.
    So, any of you think, this may be a realistic scenario?
    Apple is in no legal position in this regard. The only thing they can (and are) doing is refusing to service iPhones that don't have an AT&T contract (at least for the states). I'm not sure what the laws are in your country, however in the US it is not illegal to unlock your iPhone.

Apple has no reason or inclination to "trace" your purchase back to you. They can't stop you from purchasing an iPhone, nor can they stop you from unlocking it.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

tömke (11-19-2007)

thanks for the quick answer, you helped me a lot!