+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Already jailbroken, how do I access files, and update Cydia?

is a discussion within the

OS X Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
Not sure into which forum this fits, being a few different considerations. First, my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 3GS model MB715LL is running version 3.1.2 (7D11); I bought it that way.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Already jailbroken, how do I access files, and update Cydia?
    Not sure into which forum this fits, being a few different considerations. First, my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 3GS model MB715LL is running version 3.1.2 (7D11); I bought it that way. It's running Cydia and Blackra1n. I'm pretty computer illiterate, so I've to this point avoided using the update service in Cydia. At the same time, I'm completely lost as to how to download phone contents, since iTunes updated past 8.3 sometime back. I REALLY want to be able to sync my phone (pictures/movies/contacts) to either my iMac (running iTunes 10.5.1 (42)) or MacBook Pro (running iTunes 10.6.3 (25)) so I don't lose these irreplaceable files. Do I just delete iTunes and reload iTunes 8.3? Where would I find that version archived?
    Today, when I tapped the Cydia icon (with the ever present 7 updates bubble), it popped-up a message that it's no longer compatible and I need to download version 1.1. And after that, tapping Cydia starts the application, but then stops and goes back to the icon screen anew. Reason for doing this was multiple failed attempts at 3rd party software installation for use on my 64 bit Windows 7 Sony Vaio, and checking with Cydia if any of them made any difference (they didn't, and I uninstalled them)

I'm still pretty happy with the phone itself, less the fact that the WiFi worked sporadically up to about 6 months ago, and now doesn't work (I read somewhere Blackra1n is sometimes at fault?)

So- can someone offer me how to get at my files with/without iTunes? Is the fact that Cydia doesn't open going to effect badly the operation of my phone? Should I go to redsn0w, and if so, detailed instructions?

Thanks for any/all help-
    Brian

20" iMac (running IOS 10.6.8, processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, signal 802.11n- non-tapered base, bought 02/2008
    MacBook Pro (running 10.6.8, processor 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, bought 11/2009
    Sony Vaio Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30Ghz, with Intel WiFi link 1000 BGN, 4GB RAM running Windows 7 Home Premium (bought 11/2011)
    Time Capsule 2TB
    iPhone 3GS (unlocked/Jailbroken)
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked
    Last edited by brianprimo; 11-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Your IOS version is really old. If your iphone is still functioning, update itunes to the latest and sync it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

brianprimo (11-06-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If I update to the latest IOS, won't that brick my phone? Second, is there a way to save out my photos and contacts prior to update, accepting that's that's the way to go?
    Last edited by brianprimo; 11-04-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: always thinking of more to add

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianprimo View Post
    If I update to the latest IOS, won't that brick my phone? Second, is there a way to save out my photos and contacts prior to update, accepting that's that's the way to go?
    Please clarify what you mean by "brick." Also, for your second question, use iexplorer to access your photos and contacts on your phone then copy them to your desktop or a folder of your choice. Then you can go ahead and update your phone, then copy your photos and contacts back to your phone. After you've done all that, then backup your phone and perform the jailbreak and you should be all set.

EDIT: Use King_O_Hill's method below as it provides an easier and more stable path to jailbreak your device and keep your files.
    Last edited by iMatthew; 02-25-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: advice added

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,402 Times in 6,355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brianprimo View Post
    Save you photos and contacts to iCloud. Then after you upgrade, they will automatically download once you enter your apple ID or if your are connected to iTunes.

Make sure you do a true DFU restore to get a clean wipe install, then setup as new, not from a backup. Then jailbreak. Better hurry, apple has patch exploits when iOS 6.1.3 is released.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!