Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone won't reboot, tried everything.

~5abi dil/mere pind vich Khalistan aur Jammu~
    Thanks

Lightbulb IPhone won't reboot, tried everything.
    OK, first off...i have an iphone 3g, 3.0 software, jaibroken with redsn0w about a week or so ago, when it was released. it worked fine until last night. i tried to install a couple apps, reset permissions, and restarted. it will not stop rebooting. i have tried all kinds of things. i did some google searches on the issue. nothing has helped. i tried holding down the home button and start button, nothing.i tried to turn it off...it doesn't switch off. i let the battery drain, then plugged it in, but it went back to the reboot screen and wouldn't stop. itunes won't recognize it. i can't afford to get a new phone.....any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,178 Times in 6,197 Posts

Sorry to hear your having problems. Sounds like you may have installed an app that isn't compatible with 3.0
    You have to out your phone in DFU mode and do a clean restore.
    In case you need them. Here are instructions.
    Make sure you set the phone up as a new phone. So DFU/restore to a fresh copy of 3.0 om iTunes and then jailbreak again.
    Phone must be in DFU to get it to work.

DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

jugnisarpanch (07-01-2009)

Thanks

Default reboot
    hi! thanks for such a speedy reply.....ok...my next issue is that it doesn't want to go to into any other mode than what it's in.i have just tried putting it into DFU mode. Itunes now recognizes it, and it goes as far as asking do i want to backup my info. then after whatever i hit, it extracts the software and then says ' nirmal's iphone can't be synced. error 0xE8000065. (i'm nirmal.)

Thanks

Don't back up, do a restore if you can. DFU mode was intended for restoring, You need to keep trying to get in DFU, it is the only way to resolve you issues.

Thanks

it's not giving me any other option. im trying. is there a way to bypass the backup? it also keeps trying to sync and then i hear it connect and disconnect before the process finishes. i have a feeling it won't allow it to restore because soemthing is causing it to connect and disconnect itself.....which may be part of the rebooting over and over...but i don't know, and i have to break they cycle...but as i said, it won't allow me to simply restore or enter dfu mode.

Thanks

Here is something I found on endless boot, may help. I also found this video of how to put in dfu, it may clear things up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKCfzezGXw&feature=channel_page]YouTube - How To Set Your iPhone / iPod Touch In To DFU Mode And Unbrick Your Device[/ame]

Thanks

Default hmmmm! lol
    hmmm im going to look at that article...because i know how to do DFU, but it just seems my iphone has other wishes, and itunes doesn't know what to think. odd thing was also, i would connect iphone to itunes, and when it'd connect it, it'd run winSCP and it would NOT connect. soooo i'll try that article.......i would not want to throw my baby at a wall or have to buy a new one!

Thanks

there has to be a way to get in DFU

Thanks

Ok.....not cured....BUT i *think* i may have a plan at least. from that link you gave me
    i i downloaded the trial version of the diskaid software, and was able to look in my folder for 2 mins. so with that in mind, i'm going to try the following steps -

Read all steps before you begin. Step 1 and 2 (and step 3 and 4 later on) have to be completed in a few minutes since your phone will probably reboot after some time.

1.) First connect your phone to the Computer via cable and switch it on. Open up the free application DiskAid and make sure your phone is found. Then quickly change the small selector at the bottom left to “Root Folder”. Use “Copy to folder” to save the folder “mobilewatchdog.bundle” at “/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/” to you Computer. You will need this folder later again!

2.) Now delete the folder “mobilewatchdog.bundle” on the device by using the “Delete from Device” button.

Basically you delete the startup of a system daemon that will check every 2-3 minutes if Springboard could be loaded. If Springboard is not loaded “mobilewatchdog” would reboot your phone. Deleting this process will prevent the system from rebooting every 2-3 minutes. Still, every 10 minutes or so the system will still reboot by another process that cannot be deleted. But this 10 minutes should be enough to get your Springboard preferences restored

THEN, instead of installing open ssh, as i already have it installed......i will try to locate and remove the apps that i put in there yesterday which caused this ruckus to begin with.

THEN will proceed with the rest of the steps -

6.) Reboot again and copy the “mobilewatchdog.bundle” files back to their location (/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/) by using DiskAid again or by using an SFTP client and the SSH login.

7.) Make sure you login via SSH and set the correct permissions of the files! If you do not do so the phone will still reboot every 10-12 minute since “mobilewatchdog.bundle” cannot be loaded at startup of the phone! enter these 3 commands when logged into your phone:

chmod 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/mobilewatchdog.bundle
    chmod 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/mobilewatchdog.bundle/mobilewatchdog
    chmod 644 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/mobilewatchdog.bundle/Info.plist

If the files were put on the right location there should be no error message.

8.) Reboot again.

Now, my question is this..... how do you correctly enter the commands for chmod? i'm thinking that either i had an app that was not compatable, as you said, or perhaps i had made in error when setting up commands. so maybe it's best i have THAT clarified so i make SURE i know how to enter any command correctly in the future.

yea...thats true...but it's finding the way that works that's the challenge....but if i can get this thing to cooperate, i wuill try this workaround..... u've at least given me a new plan of action...as i was completely out of ideas before!

hmm another thing is that i had accidently placed a file into the MobileInstallation.frameworkfolder...if i can get that out and delete it, i wonder if that will help.

i will not forget to thank u a few times for this and i will also consider purchasing the disk aid thing. that article u gave me the linki to..... well...i could not buy enough time with the folder deletion to do moot ( i was hoping if i removed the wonky stuff i put in yesterday, i could save it from having to be restored)...BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT i WAS able to buy enough time to get it into DFU mode, and restore it. i will have to re-download all my stuff from cydia, but i broke the cycle and it won't be a loss after all. thank you soooo much! it's a small price to pay compared to the other possibilites. ill download the other stuff when i bored or sumthing hahaha and ill find a way to back up my cydia and icy apps next time. PS - you wouldn't also happen to know a way one could play embedded media from websites (im not talking like yotube or hulu or whatever...there r some sites that have streaming tv stuff that i'd like to play....i have imobile cinema, but that doesn't pick it up, and nothing else seems to either. i posted my question about it on another thread.
    Last edited by jugnisarpanch; 07-01-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost