Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Making Themes?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Making Themes?
    The main and basically only reason i decided to start jail breaking my phone was simply for themes. I find though that with every theme i dont get exactly what i'd want. I'm a huge photoshop nerd and i'd love to be able to start learning how i'd go about applying my skill in photoshop into my own themes! If anyone could direct me how to start to learn that'd be awesome.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -remake01.jpg  
    Last edited by stephisapirate; 06-27-2009 at 10:07 PM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

My suggestion would be to download a theme and just sift through it.

Making one is nothing more than creating a bunch of images for everything. Knowing how (with something like photoshop) is the hard part....you got that down, so it would be easy. After that, its all placing them in the right spot, with the right name.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The thing is i dont know where i access the ability to change the images and icons used on themes.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It is very simple. You install openSSH through Cydia and then get a client that lets you browse your iPhone files using SSH. I am not familiar with Mac clients, but I think one is called Cyberduck.

This is super easy because when you launch Cydia it walks you through setting it up on the home page of Cydia.

Anyways...once that is accomplished you browse to your theme folder on your phone using Cyberduck(or whatever it is called) and copy out a theme you have downloaded in Cydia and drop it on your desktop. Open it up and you will find all of the files that the theme has in it and it will give you an idea of how to set up the structure of your theme. Create your own theme and place it in a folder using the same file structure and then SSH it into your theme folder in your phone. You can then activate it in Winterboard and see how it looks.

Try finding the most complete theme in Cydia so you have all the pieces to look at and emulate with your theme.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

stephisapirate (06-29-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you that was very helpful. I've tried using SSH before and had no clue what i was doing lol.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Once you have done it a few times it is a breeze. And it is very convenient. The Skinning/Themes section here at Modmyi have some very friendly and talented folks so be sure to stop in there if you run into any pitfalls. That is where I spent a lot of time learning.