Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GUIDE on how to edit Text in your iPhone, such as "Slide to Unlock"

Default GUIDE on how to edit Text in your iPhone, such as "Slide to Unlock"
    I ended up finding out how to do it on my own by guess n check. This is on a Mac.
    Two ways to get the file:

1. Download SpringBoard.strings at this site: http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_downloads.html (scroll down to get it)
    If it comes as a zip on your desktop then double click it to get the actual file.

OR

2. open your iPhone through SSH and go to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj
    and drag the actual file --> SpringBoard.strings to your desktop.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Either way you should end up with a file that is labeled "SpringBoard.strings"

right click it and hit "open with"
    choose other
    search for text edit
    It will then open it in text edit. It will give the key of each text line on the iPhone and the string for each text line in the iPhone. To actually edit what your iPhone says you need to edit the string only.
    For Example:
    To change the text "Slide to Unlock" on the lock screen, you scroll down to
    <key>AWAY_LOCK_LABEL</key>
    <string>Slide to Unlock</string>

What ever you type in the string where it says "Slide to Unlock" is what it will state on your phone.

If you want it to say "Open Now" Then the same two lines should look like:
    <key>AWAY_LOCK_LABEL</key>
    <string>Open Now</string>

Once you change all you want save it. Then drag that same file "SpringBoard.strings" , which is now edited to your customized text, back to the same place you got it through SSH in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj
    You will then need to restart your iPhone to see the effects.

I have found it is hard to find each key that you need so I recommend opening the SpringBoard.strings in Omni outliner as well. That is much easier to read and you can easily scroll through and see what text does what. But remember you must go back to text edit to edit it then save if you want it to actually show up on your iPhone.

Sorry if everyone already new this but no one could help me so I am guessing some do not... feel free to ask if you have any questions.

CAUTION!

Note -- using a regular text editor like OS X "textedit" will render this file unreadable by the iPhone! Fortunately it doesn't crash badly, doesn't need a firware re-image... just have to re-apply the old file or a new working one.

What worked for me was to edit the SpringBoard.strings file in a HEX editor. I changed the text from "slide to unlock" to my name. For safety sake, I would suggest replacing the 15 characters. If the text you want is shorter like "Open *****!" then make it "Open *****! "... at least until someone tests how it works if the length is different.

Thanks for the cool hack... and the brief heart attack when my phone text were all messed up! Fortunately I had backed up the file on the iPhone itself, so it was easy enough to fix.

So... is there a setting within the OS X textedit to specify a binary/hex file? I couldn't find one, and opted for a standard hex editor.

- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    CAUTION!

Note -- using a regular text editor like OS X "textedit" will render this file unreadable by the iPhone! Fortunately it doesn't crash badly, doesn't need a firware re-image... just have to re-apply the old file or a new working one.

What worked for me was to edit the SpringBoard.strings file in a HEX editor. I changed the text from "slide to unlock" to my name. For safety sake, I would suggest replacing the 15 characters. If the text you want is shorter like "Open *****!" then make it "Open *****! "... at least until someone tests how it works if the length is different.

Thanks for the cool hack... and the brief heart attack when my phone text were all messed up! Fortunately I had backed up the file on the iPhone itself, so it was easy enough to fix.

So... is there a setting within the OS X textedit to specify a binary/hex file? I couldn't find one, and opted for a standard hex editor.

- Jason

Hmmm, you actually had problems using textedit, or do you know there is just a possiblity of having problems while using textedit? I used it and had absolutly no problems. I only had messed up text when I saved the actual omni outliner file, and it just gave key names instead of the strings names.

What is bad about textedit? but thank you for the heads up!

EDIT: Jason where did you get the idea for "open *****"... above i used the terms "open now" but coincidentally enough i ended up using "open *****" jsut because I had nothing to put, all before I saw your post.

EDIT 2: If any of you ever have problems with the text when editing or mess it up some how just upload that file from the hackmyiphone.com site in the the springboard.apps folder to replace the messed up file. This will replace your edited file and fix your problem, all without having to restore the phone.
    Last edited by erandall39; 09-15-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    CAUTION!

- Jason
    Install Pref Setter. Changed the ".strings" to ".plist" then open with Pref Setter (or double click). After editing, change back to ".strings" and drag it back to original location and "replace". Turn the phone off and voila! Worked for me!!

You can change the text in iFuntastic. very easy.

does anyone have the original file...... i screwed mine up

Default Changed Pass code message
    Used this to change my passcode message in case I lost my phone.

Instead of it saying, "Enter Pass Code"

Mine now says, "Found? Please call XXX XXX-XXXX"

- note this is the maximum message length - any longer and the text will scroll off of your screen and can't be viewed

It was easy to do. I downloaded the SpringBoard.strings file to my desktop.

Changed ".strings" to ".plist"

Opened the file with Pref Setter

Searched for the word "code" to find the appropriate text string

Clicked on the string "Enter Code" and entered my new note.

Saved the change and exited Pref Setter

Changed ".plist" back to ".strings"

Uploaded the file back to the iPhone using CyberDuck.

chris

Can these changes be done in NOTEPAD in Windows? I can get the files to open, I'm just hesitant about trying it. Advice? (other than buy a Mac which I reaaly want!)

Any help or advice is appreciated, I've already learned a lot here!

Doby

Quote Originally Posted by cWanja View Post
    Just use Customize. duh.
    Thank you! Simple, Safe, What's the problem?
    Customize

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cWanja View Post
    Just use Customize. duh.
    Use Customize, Customize, Customize...No Worries!

Thanks

He hehehe Yeah, I was wondering what all the confusion and all the work was for?? I just use customize, to change my text on my phone, and Bam!! All done! For a minute there, I was starting to think if there was much more to this, than what I had done?? Glad to hear....NOT!!
    Stay Sexy, Sweet, and Wonderful!

Default springboard.strings 2.0
    I've tried everything i could find to try and fix the calendar numbers disappearing, and nothing has worked.
    Could someone please send me the original springboard.strings 2.0 file so that I hopefully can fix this.

[email protected]

Sorry if I've broken any rules, I'm in desperate need to fix this.

Can you use numbers? Mine aren't showing up. I have the Fallout Pip-Boy theme and I changed my "slide to unlock" to "Welcome to Vault 101" in iFile but it just shows up as "Welcome to Vault" Do I have to put special characters in front / behind the numbers in order for them to show? I'm not a coder by any means...
    Thanks,

EDIT: OK numbers work, I think you can only put in so many characters. 15 I think...
    Last edited by Josheesh; 01-15-2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
    YNWA