Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing items over SSH NOT using winterboard?

Default Changing items over SSH NOT using winterboard?
    i posted on another forum about being fed up with lag when launching applications. multiple people suggested that it was winterboard that was causing the lag as did a google search.

so i decided to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 and re-quickpwn my phone. this time i did not install winterboard and instead decided to SSH icons over manually like back in the 'old' days. i can say that after removing winterboard it's amazing how fast apps load; especially Notes, voice recorder, and shazam.

however, i have run into a few problems with reskinning my phone.

my old set up looked like this (although i removed all app names shortly after):

but my new set up at the moment looks like this:

where am i able to insert the background and icons for purchased apps? for whatever reason my weather icon will not change (/applications/weather.app then change icon.png). in addition, as you can see down by the dock, the top of the icons are getting cut off. same with the camera icon. why is that? they are the same icons i used before.

thanks!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Background can only be done with Winterboard. For appstore apps, change the icon.png file inside the app's folder.

they are in var/mobile/applications...... have fun finding the right app

you can apply a background but honestly it is not worth it... just use winterboard

as for the icons... when you replace icons they have limitations... when you use winterboard you remove those limitations

winterboard is screwed for me.. any ideas on how to make it change the pesky background.. i can use filezilla ...
    anyone?
    after i installed WindowsSeven background themes or whatever it died.