Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP!!! How to get service for non-AT&T activated iPhone?

Default HELP!!! How to get service for non-AT&T activated iPhone?
    Have you ever purchased an iPhone, circumnavigated the activation, and then needed to go in for repairs or warranty? I need your advice.

I find myself in this situation right now.

I'm not from the US. Had my friend buy me an iPhone. Activated it using iNdependence. And then began using it as a phone with Super Sim.

Last weekend my iPhone battery drained beyond reasonable doubt and refuses to wake up despite resetting and charging from multiple USB ports, computers or power sockets.

I got an experience of what it could possibly be like visiting the Apple Store when I called the iPhone support hotline (don't know if this is an Apple or AT&T service).

First thing they asked for was my phone number and serial number. When I said I don't have a phone number they checked and asked me how I was able to use the phone when based on their records it has not been activated before. I told them a friend had activated it for me and kept the number for himself but they said their records show the phone hasn't been activated so they assume it was activated by other means.

They weren't pretty helpful after that.

Which brings me to my greatest fear. What if I bring it into the Apple Store? I'll be in the US first week of October. What will I say? I could lie and say I never activated the phone, and kept it in the box for a while and found it like that, "sleeping beauty"? Or I could tell the truth that I live abroad and wanted to use it as a glorified iPod so I used a software program to activate it? Or I could stick by my story and say I have no idea how my friend activated it before he gave it to me?

I just want Apple to honor my warranty and at least fix my unit. After all I never did any hardware modifications.

So I appeal to all those with a similar experience to let me know how it went when you brought your iPhones to the Apple store. How did you get them to repair your phone. Did they do it without questions asked? Or were they hard on you like the iPhone support guy I called?

What would be the best way to handle this?
    Last edited by cyberprince; 09-12-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

battery replacement should have went down from 80$warranty or not it shouldnt cost tomuch to get a batt for it..dont let warranty thing keep you form rocking your iphone,,but if you have everything for the iphone box etc..and you bought it from apple they usally replace it on the spot ,,dont let the big bad apple scare you...remember your the disgruntel cust.

I guess that's one of my problems. I'm not from the US where there are great consumer rights in place. I don't know how to be a disgruntled customer? What to say? And how to demand for the repair?

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

well there an theres another way if you know its a battery then replace it youself ....www.pdaparts.com

I found this place that does iPhone Battery Replacements in NYC. They are on 7th ave between 30th & 31st. Right now they are doing a promotion where and the labor charges on the iPhone repairs are FREE! The address is 7 Penn Plaza - 7th Floor. You can check out their NYC iPhone Repair on the website:

http://www.computeroverhauls.com/

- Joe