Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unknown error occured (1) on 2 phones

Default Unknown error occured (1) on 2 phones
    I am getting the following error on 2 iPhones. The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1). On my OSX machine.

I tried to follow the advice of running AppTapp right after, but I run it and get a bootstrap error then run it again and get bootstrap error right away the second time.. but I still have no access to the phone.

The restore doesn't even start to restore.. it unpacks the restore files, then gives me the unknown error right away.

I even ran parallels and installed iTunes on the PC side.. and got the same error. This is on 2 iPhones.. one that I bricked and one that I didn't.

Anybody else getting this error?

Thanks.

Charles

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Nashville, TN- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chazzzzy View Post
    I am getting the following error on 2 iPhones. The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1). On my OSX machine.

I tried to follow the advice of running AppTapp right after, but I run it and get a bootstrap error then run it again and get bootstrap error right away the second time.. but I still have no access to the phone.

The restore doesn't even start to restore.. it unpacks the restore files, then gives me the unknown error right away.

I even ran parallels and installed iTunes on the PC side.. and got the same error. This is on 2 iPhones.. one that I bricked and one that I didn't.

Anybody else getting this error?

Thanks.

Charles

When you hold down the buttons to put it into restore mode, do you get the yellow triangle or the itunes symbol and the cable connector?

If you dont get the yellow triangle, you're holding the buttons down wrong....hold them both down...count to 10 (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi...etc) let go of the power button but hold the home button...the screen will remain black but iTunes will pop up saying there is a phone in restore mode....then you should be good to go.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ufmedrudy For This Useful Post:

cciavo (02-13-2008), shaiss (01-25-2008)

That is EXACTLY what I was doing wrong! They should put that in the instructions, as I really had to search hard to find that answer.

I was holding the buttons too long and getting the iTunes Logo and Plug.. I counted this time and don't get the plug and it worked perfectly!

Thanks so much ufmedrudy!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Nashville, TN- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chazzzzy View Post
    That is EXACTLY what I was doing wrong! They should put that in the instructions, as I really had to search hard to find that answer.

I was holding the buttons too long and getting the iTunes Logo and Plug.. I counted this time and don't get the plug and it worked perfectly!

Thanks so much ufmedrudy!

No problem glad I could help

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ufmedrudy For This Useful Post:

netovargas (10-14-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Had the same problem and spended a whole afternoon!! THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

I am still having the same problem!
    I bought new 1.1.1 phone few days ago.

1. I hold lock and home button together for 10 secs (stopwatch checked). (The phone is connected to the Mac.)
    2. After 10 secs it goes blank (black screen). No yellow triangle or anything. Is this OK? Should I expect something on it?
    3. iTunes says it found a phone in restore mode. OK.
    I click option-restore, iTunes unpacks the file and immediately throws unknown error (1). WTF???

What am I doing wrong?? I can't even pass the first step in tutorial!

BTW, I use PowerBook G4 that has NO USB 2.0 connection. Instead, I use PCI to USB 2.0 card plugged in it, and I am using it as iPhone interface. I read somewhere that iPhone needs a clean USB 2.0 connection or errors of this kind occures.

Please give me some advice! Please, please

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radisic View Post
    I am still having the same problem!
    I bought new 1.1.1 phone few days ago.

1. I hold lock and home button together for 10 secs (stopwatch checked). (The phone is connected to the Mac.)
    2. After 10 secs it goes blank (black screen). No yellow triangle or anything. Is this OK? Should I expect something on it?
    3. iTunes says it found a phone in restore mode. OK.
    I click option-restore, iTunes unpacks the file and immediately throws unknown error (1). WTF???

What am I doing wrong?? I can't even pass the first step in tutorial!

BTW, I use PowerBook G4 that has NO USB 2.0 connection. Instead, I use PCI to USB 2.0 card plugged in it, and I am using it as iPhone interface. I read somewhere that iPhone needs a clean USB 2.0 connection or errors of this kind occures.

Please give me some advice! Please, please
    after 10 seconds you need to release the lock (top) button while still holding the home button for approx another 15 seconds. you should have the phone connected to the computer before you start anything.

I am having the same issue. No matter what I do, I cant get the yellow triangle. I just keep getting the cable. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I am also going crazy with this process. I'm in the U.K., and I recently bought an 8GB over eBay. I'm trying to follow this guide to activate and unlock it: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8969

I was having the same problem with error (1) before I found this thread. I then used the 'hold the home button after releasing the power button' thing, only to receive a completely different error after doing it:

"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-14)."

Firstly, I have no idea why it thinks my iPhone is an iPod. I've searched the net for the (-14) error and been completely unlucky... I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and now I can't even get my phone to go back to it's original activation screen, it's just stuck on the iTunes/connector cable screen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what is going on!

ok so i too have been trying to restore 1.0.2 to a 1.1.1 out of the box unactivated iphone..with the same problems..after a few failures i now switch on the phone and get the itunes and cable symbols....is it safe just to start again..doing the 10s count, ensuring that i have a black screen and then going through the restore and app tapp process again?

also..when the 1.0.2 firmware is downloaded to a mac (or maybe just my mac) it automatically unarchives the software..in order to tell the iphone to use this firmware to restore..do i need to rezip it to be able to select that file to restore?

Smile To those who get the "connect to itunes icon" instead of yellow triangle
    I had the same problem, no matter what I'd do I would get the "connect to itunes" icon instead of yellow triangle.
    The thing is - you will not see the yellow triangle on some phones.
    Here is what you need to do:
    1. Connect the phone to your computer
    2. Start itunes, wait for it to discover your phone.
    3. Press and hold power and home buttons.
    4. This is crucial: BEFORE the apple logo appears (phone is rebooting) let go of the power button. The phone's screen will remain black, keep holding the "home" button until itunes will say it is in recovery mode. Then you're good to go with downgrading.

Once the downgrade is complete, you will get an error at the very end. Just ignore it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by lostsoul_79; 10-26-2007 at 12:31 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lostsoul_79 For This Useful Post:

xover (11-14-2007)

i tried this over and over again, and i get no triangle. i continue without the triangle and try to install the 1.0.2 pack and it goes through a instalation window for about 10 seconds than my error pops up and nothing... i figured id run the apptap anyway and the bar that says it will take 2-3 minutes, just keeps (loading) for a long time. did i not wait long enough? i waited about 10 minutes. What cudl i possibly be doing wrong?

Default i cant restore either...im on 1.0.2
    im getting the same problem cant restore...i cant even connect with any ftp program any more either.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to somsay For This Useful Post:

tgilas (07-10-2008)

Mine is even worse.

I do the 10sec count which I found is more like a 6sec count and the phone still shows a black screen but is indeed found by itunes (DFU recovery mode). Now guess what happens next? Wait for it........ Unknown error (1).

I am absolutely positive that the screen stays black the whole time. I am trying to upgrade from a virginized 1.0.2 to 1.1.1. I have a non-AT&T sim in the phone. I can't find the AT&T one but have tried doing the same thing without a sim period and the problem is still the same.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem before as well. I know you are all using macs, but I used ibrickr to restore back to 1.02. I used their file and instructions and it worked perfectly.
    I'd rather be on two wheels.

Guys, for any of those that had my problem. I figured it out.

Just update to the newest itunes mine was 7.4.3.1

Done!

so is mine. what i get is "an unknown error occured(1604)." i tried everything. pressed home and power buttons, and comp detect phone in 'dfu recovery' mode. the screen is black. it always end with error 1604. what this could be? i'm using different sim. don't have ATT. could it be the cause? is my iphone dead? I prefer vista's blue screens. any help welcomed.

For me, the solution to "An unknown error occured (1)" when trying to downgrade to 1.0.2 was to downgrade to 1.0.1 then upgrade to 1.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by 04deveni View Post
    Guys, for any of those that had my problem. I figured it out.

Just update to the newest itunes mine was 7.4.3.1

Done!
    I am trying your solution right now, lets see what happens.
    So basically I bought this phone cpl of days ago, downgraded it to 1.1.1 and used my current ATT sim and it worked fine. But after I installed anysim application, the service bar went away and now my iphone doesnt boot up. I tried ibricker and when ever I am on step 3 to restore the firmware I get unknown error (1) or if I use the othr method that is, hold the power and home button for 10 sec and than releasing the power button and holding the home button for naother 15 sec and then try to upgrade I get uknown error 1603 (hence my screenname)...pls help me. I upgraded it to the recent version and at this point the screen is white..

please somone help. I have to gift it to my bro in law for thanxgiving and I cant seem to make it to work..I have downloaded it to 1.1.1 before it was working fine and after installing anysim it got messed up...now when I do any thing I see an apple logo and than itunes say it cant do restore..pls help..I'm willing to pay a small fee to whoever help me fix this..

I followed what 04deveni suggested but again even after upgrading it to the latest version I get an unknown error 1603, the itumes extracts and eveything but it pops this message in few seconds
    Last edited by unkwownError1603_error1; 11-18-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Follow these instructions below exactly...Your welcome.

If you follow these steps you will get your iPhone back working

What you need to do is download and install iTunes 7.3.2 VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU USE iTunes 7.3.2

Open iTunes and make sure your @ 7.3.2

Reboot your computer

Put your iPhone into recovery mode by holding power/home button for 10 seconds let go of power button but continue pressing home button until you get the yellow triangle.

Connect iPhone to your computer and iTunes should open and if it doesn't then open iTunes.It will detect your iPhone in recovery mode then click the restore button and it will put your iPhone back to firmware 1.0.2 ONLY iTunes 7.3.2 will do this, no other version of iTunes will put your iPhone back to 1.0.2 with the error 1 your getting.

You can use independence or iActivator to Jailbreak and activate your iPhone then install AppTapp to virginize/AnySim if need be.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jkew For This Useful Post:

rr8008rr (02-09-2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast