+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: portable tethered boot device?

is a discussion within the

OS Apps and Development

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
Sorry if this is stupid of me to say, but I was just thinking it would be possible to create a small device you could carry in your pocket that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default portable tethered boot device?
    Sorry if this is stupid of me to say, but I was just thinking it would be possible to create a small device you could carry in your pocket that would allow you to run a tether boot program such as iBooty and tethered boot your ipod/iphone without needing to carry a laptop around with you? I mean if we have the technology to make very small devices with very small operating systems, we could probably manage to fit a thin linux distro + itunes + ibooty into a small 2 or 4 gig SD card so maybe a very stripped down version of Windows + itunes + ibooty could fit on like a 4 or 8 gig? opinions?

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

i like that idea dont know if it will work or not. But they did make something called semitethered so if ya had a tethered jailbroke phone ad something happened to it you can still use it like phone calls and etc....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    i like that idea dont know if it will work or not. But they did make something called semitethered so if ya had a tethered jailbroke phone ad something happened to it you can still use it like phone calls and etc....
    The reason I brought the idea up is because as far as I know semitethered doen't work on ios 6. As far as I can tell, the only system requirement for itunes is to be running windows xp or higher, and the system reqs of XP (according to Microsoft) are a Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended), At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended), & At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wargasmtornado's Avatar
    Thanks

I have used semi-tether on
    Ios 6,and it does work
    ipod 4G,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    iphone 4,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    i really,really hate using Winterboard

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Okay I guess having it semitethered is better than not but it would be much nicer to have a device like this because it's basically the closest thing those of us who stupidly updated to IOS 6 will get to an untethered jailbreak without waiting at least a few more months. It would be especially great for people like me who like to go, for example, camping for a whole week and won't have any computer to tethered boot their phone if their battery dies. sure semitether helps but I've really grown attached to my cydia tweaks.
    Plus, after looking up semitether, it specifically mentions Redsn0w in the description and I'm Jailbroken with Sn0wbreeze. So do you know if it works with Sn0wbreeze too or do I need to restore and Jailbreak with Redsn0w?
    Last edited by gameguy95; 12-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wargasmtornado's Avatar
    Thanks

What idevice you running?You could always use your 5.1.1 shsh blobs saved on Cydia,fetch & custom stitch an ipsw together,then downgrade to 5.1.1 untethered,thats what i did as i missed untethered too much
    ipod 4G,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    iphone 4,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    i really,really hate using Winterboard

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I guess that would work because i'm on an iphone 4 cdma and I might just do that if I have a campout coming up before an untethered jailbreak is released, but until then I don't want to go through any unneeded hassle.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yeah I have a feeling that the hard part would be to get the source code required to understand how things like this work. Most of the ccurrent jailbreak exploits and related tools are proprietary, closed source software because the developers don't want apple to fix their exploits and making the exploits open source would mean apple could fix them a lot faster. P0sixninja (probably spelled that wrong) has a new "openjailbreak" project he has up though so theres some hope yet.