+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Easiest firmware flashing EVER

is a discussion within the

OS Apps and Development

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
To answer my own question, if anyone is interested, the processor in the iPhone is (ready for this?) an ARM! I guess it makes sense, but certainly not what I
    Thanks

To answer my own question, if anyone is interested, the processor in the iPhone is (ready for this?) an ARM! I guess it makes sense, but certainly not what I was expecting from a device that multitasks this well. Looking at the other hardware in this sucker, though, it becomes obvious why it works -- there's very little threading actually going on, because there's separate chips for the processing of calls and audio, and it looks as though Apple's ARM is just using interrupts to interface with them. Quantity of chips instead of quality of chips appears to be working fairly well for Apple ;-).

I'm understanding a bit more, now, why this wasn't initially opened up to third party developers, and why it can't handle Adobe Flash. What a maze! I'm not even sure that this can be threaded to the point that Flash would require.
    Last edited by TomFrost; 07-01-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Did you find where the firmware was located on the computer?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Not yet. I assumed it would be in the iTunes.app folder, but there's nothing in the resources for it. My closest guess so far is that it's been lumped together with the iPod framework, though that seems a bit odd. Still poking around.

I really don't want to unnecessarily flash my phone, but I'm worried that it downloads the iPhone software from apple when you hit the button, and caches it as it writes. If that's the case.. this won't be near as easy as I expected.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

well jedi knows obviously

Thanks

Got it. It's not on your computer -- only topical update location files are there. You can download the full firmware at

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....a_Restore.ipsw

Just rename that to .zip and extract. Might need to use curl or wget depending on what browser you're running!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TomFrost For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (07-01-2007)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Yup but Jedi apparently isn't sharing.

Nice.
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 07-01-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Hey hey hey, they're getting tricksy!

I poke around, and-- what? There's another private framework here! Apple Mobile Device.. hmm, could it be?

Code:
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks tom$ cd MobileDevice.framework/
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework tom$ ls
    MobileDevice    Resources       Versions
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework tom$ cd Resources/Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources tom$ ls
    AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app     reenumerate
    AppleMobileSync.app             usbmuxd
    English.lproj                   version.plist
    Info.plist
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources tom$ cd ../Versions 
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions tom$ ls
    A       Current
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions tom$ cd Current/
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current tom$ ls
    MobileDevice    Resources
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current tom$ cd ../../Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents/
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents tom$ ls
    Info.plist      MacOS           PkgInfo         Resources       version.plist
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents tom$ cd Resources/
    Bean:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents/Resources tom$ ls
    AppleMobileBackup               MDCrashReportTool
    ClientDescription.plist         iPodSyncClientImages.icns
    AppleMobileBackup! So this hidden little MobileDeviceHelper app holds the hardware calls for talking to the iPhone. My Linux box is getting a USB dumper as soon as I get a shower.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

sorry guys I'm posting from my iPhone right now, I will have to report back to you guys when I get home in about 5 or 6 hours.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

just wanted to thank you guys before hand...u helped me with my razr... never got to thank anyone

btw.... check outlink

they said they got the ramdisk mounted and its an osx filesystem
    Last edited by fdot; 07-01-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12