+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneExplorer - a way to mount your iPhone as a drive on windows

is a discussion within the

OS Apps and Development

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
I just released a new version of iPhoneExplorer. still highly alpha: http://projects.lokkju.com/iPhoneExp...2795.41331.zip iPhoneExplorer is a windows application (eventually will be service) that allows you to access the filesystem on your
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb iPhoneExplorer - a way to mount your iPhone as a drive on windows
    I just released a new version of iPhoneExplorer.
    still highly alpha:
    http://projects.lokkju.com/iPhoneExp...2795.41331.zip
    iPhoneExplorer is a windows application (eventually will be service) that allows you to access the filesystem on your iPhone through Windows Explorer, as if it was just another external USB drive. if your phone is jailbroken, you get your root FS, otherwise you get your Media FS - which one you see will eventually be an option.

r00t4rd3d originally posted about my project at http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3232 - but he had the wrong name, and it was put in the wrong forum *grin*.

At any rate, it is an open source project, though at this point I have not decided on a license. I am happy to give source access to any one who wants to work on it with me - but please, know C# or C++, and know how to use SVN.
    I am also looking for graphics for it - drive icon, toolbar icon, tray icon, a control UI (for starting/stopping the drive, etc).

Any requests as to abilities, or bug reports, can be posted here, or on my blog post at http://www.lokkju.com/blog/archives/55.

I will edit this post with a link to the most current version as I release them.

Current version:
    http://projects.lokkju.com/iPhoneExp...2795.41331.zip

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lokkju For This Useful Post:

claytoninsc (08-28-2007), dnoc (01-29-2008)

Retired Moderator arthursdomain's Avatar
    Thanks

so this is bascially just like manzana and iphonewhatchamacallit?
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not at all - those are applications that provide a Explorer like interfeace to allow you to do a limited number o functions on the filesystem.

My application (which actually does make use of a heavily modified monzana library for AFC level communications) ties directly into windows explorer, and presents the iPhone as a network drive. Right now there are some bugs, of course, but it essentially allows you to work with the filesystem as if ti was a USB drive, or a normal iPod.

For instance, there are a lot of third party iPod library management tools, but they all require the that you be able to browse to the iTunesDB file, and they all make use of the windows filesystem layer for managing files. With my application, *any* windows application will see the iPhone as a drive letter - so it will be able to access the files on the iPhone.

See the difference?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So can I set up third party apps on the phone with this. I don't have wireless at home. This would really help alot of people if that is the case.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This app has never worked for me. Always crashes. Using Windows XP. Last error I got.

2007-08-28 11:12:45 Dispatch : Fatal->Not handled exception: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First of all, are you running the newest version?
    Second, can you check the "warning" and "debug" checkboxes when the form comes up, then once you get the exception, send me your full log?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

UPDATE:
    new google code project page at http://code.google.com/p/iphonefs/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lokkju For This Useful Post:

moneysh0t09 (08-31-2007)

eas
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sweet, I'm looking forward to how this progresses. It should make it a lot easier for other people to create modding utilities since they'll be able to use ordinary filesystem calls.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Like it!!

Can it please have minimize to tray until it becomes a service?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

minimize to tray is a really good suggestion - use the "issues" section at the google code project for it to add it as a requested feature.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

To anyone that has a problem with it, try installing the Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

works fine here on winxp. I also tried to use ephPod to manage my music but the file structure on the iPhone is different. nevertheless very good job

Developer
    Thanks

i cannot drag and drop files into iphone.. it says cannot find path to the file.. weird

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's because it doesn't support writing to the iPhone/iPod Touch (yet).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    is there a way to make the iphone function fully as an external HD (USB drive)? That is, you plug it in and a window pops up just like a USB drive key... I was thinking if its possible to do a symbolic link to the Photos folder on the iphone to some other directory on the iphone... I will try that out...if it works then the symbolically linked directory will pop up with or instead of the Photos folder.

Thanks

^^ you are thinking of the oddly-absent-from-the-iphone 'Disk Mode'. This is, instead, a way for a specific windows box to access the FS of the iPhone. Until apple include disk mode in a new update, this will definitely do.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix