Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to compile and test my app on ipod without paying $99?

Exclamation how to compile and test my app on ipod without paying $99?
    how do i go about putting my app on my iphone to test it without having to pay the $99 dev fee? i heard you can do if your device is jailbroken? mine is jailbroken but i have no idea how to do do it.

I believe it's the same way one pirates apps. I feel for you - you should be able to test homemade apps on any platform without paying a ridiculous fee

There's a way to do it but MMi (and our community at large) strictly prohibits talk of piracy and "how to get stuff for free."

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

+1 No cracked app / warez discussion allowed.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,540 Times in 7,105 Posts

This doesnt necessarily have to mean pirating apps. Cant he make an app and compile it as a .deb file and install it with cydia? That would be a way to test it to see if it runs without going the Apple dev route and is not piracy.

If there's a free way to do it without involving pirate apps then by all means give the man a bone.

But if he simply wants to skirt the requirements for devs to pay $99 then how is that at all something we should help him with?

It seems a bit hypocritical to not help someone download a $.99 cent app, but then turn around and help them bypass a $99 development fee.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,540 Times in 7,105 Posts

Nobody is helping him bypass the $99 dev fee. If he wants to make an app and distribute it through the app store then he will have to pay that. That is not what he is asking though. He wants to know if there is a way for him to make a app and test it on his phone without needing a Apple developer account. And there is, it's called cydia.

Jahooba, I meant no insult.
    I'm sorry you had that impression; but much more sorry that you felt slighted.
    I didn't report your post because I thought you'd done anything wrong. I did not believe you had, and I thought the report indicated the question you raised to be a valid one, that badly needed clarification.

I reported because I was seriously troubled by what you posted, and wanted to ask moderators' advice because it's a serious and significant issue - if I'm wrong. Since the moderators appear (as of the time of this post) to be unsure themselves, I'm very glad to have reported and to have raised the issue.

I'm sorry if I HAVE wasted their time.
    (I thought that keeping the discussion in PM / reports would be more respectful than airing it directly in the forum. I don't generally think that debating forum rules and policies helps much. I'm only replying here, on your request.)

I still suspect that at least one person in this conversation is confused; I would be glad to know that it was only me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    ..I still suspect that at least one person in this conversation is confused; I would be glad to know that it was only me.
    Haha. I like dpkg -b and -i

i just wanted to find a way to test my app on my iphone just to make sure there are no bugs before i release it to the app store. i don't know how trustworthy that ios simulator is. ofc i would have to pay the 99 dollars once i release it but i want to see if it's fully time do do it yet. i guess i won't find help here, but i understand why, you guys don't want to get into trouble.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@jinjin... The key is dpkg (Debian Packaging). Research & try dpkg -b and dpkg -I. Most non-Apple apps are installed & managed with dpkg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    @jinjin... The key is dpkg (Debian Packaging). Research & try dpkg -b and dpkg -I. Most non-Apple apps are installed & managed with dpkg.
    thanks i'll research it

Thanks

If you built your app using Xcode, you are gonna have to google how to bypass the code signing in whichever version of xcode you are using...

If you are comfortable doing everything, even UI, in code I'd recommend taking a look at theos since its a one stop shop for building signing and packaging
    Get the latest info for NoAccSplash Here
    Currently it should work on iOS 4.x - 6.x
    If you'd like to help extend its functionality, the source is also available.