Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stream or in-App Video content?

Default Stream or in-App Video content?
    Hey folks,

I figured this is an appropriate place to ask around. I'm currently in the final stages of having my app being built. A large part of the app is video instructions, which naturally brought my team into a debate- how to deliver the video content.

Initially, we were going to host the typically short videos in the app. However, we underestimated just how much videos are actually needed. I still personally support this option, but it may not be practical. The benefits were that the app wouldn't need any server or network connecting, cons being that the app will likely be huge...

Then the idea of streaming the video content from my companies server was tossed around, but I'm afraid that I would actually just crash my own server and website... I also don't want to have that kind of long-run costs as I want to be able to support my app for years to come.

Then an idea of hosting the videos via YouTube was brought up. The actual developer said easy, no problem, those frameworks or whatnot are easy to work with. But, we are concerned about the content being available to the public via web browers or just accessing via YouTube and not the app... since the content is my own work, and am seeking to make a profit of it, I would hate to see it available to the public like that!

So, what do we think is the best option? We did have the idea of hosting it from our server but incorporating the ability to save the video to the device, thus giving the users the option, but I'm not even positive how much strain on the server that would take, nor am I able to give an accurate description of how big the video files are at the moment. They are in editing and I know the raw uncut footage was 13gb... before it gets compressed cut and the like. I expect the longest video to be a mere 2 minutes..

Thanks,
    Sean
    iPhone 4- I'll start theming again

2. The Following User Says Thank You to agent005 For This Useful Post:

Boricua33fly (04-30-2011)