Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Add music to iPhone from any computer [PC only]

Lightbulb Add music to iPhone from any computer [PC only]
    Based on Andrew's blog my friend and I developed a program to allow you to add music to your iPhone from any PC (windows) computer.

The program:
    iFone Anywhere

How it works: It seems that the iPhone associates itself with something called the "Persistent ID" of the iTunes it's synced with. So all we need to do is insert that ID into the iTunes of the other computer that you want to sync with your iPhone.

The ID is located in two places (as you can read about in Andrew's blog) we developed this program to easily retrieve and replace the ID's without the need of editing the files manually.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scrollup For This Useful Post:

Blackbass (07-10-2009), Miro89 (03-27-2009), rockie156 (04-11-2009)

I'll test this on 3.0 for you.

Thanks for the software.

Sorry no one else seems to be thanking you...this kinda is a big deal lol.

One important thing...does it work with the latest itunes?

You're very welcome darkrom.

I think the latest iTunes I've tried it on was the 8.0.2 with iPhone firmware 2.2.1. So it would be great to know if it still works on the latest software and firmware.

tosbsas, I haven't came across freeSync before, thanks for bringing it to my attention. It does seem to be similar, though as opposed to making a universal id, with iFone anywhere you can change it as you like. Which I guess is useful if you want to temporarily add music to someone else's iphone with your computer, so you can easily change back and forth between one iTunes database ID and another.
    Last edited by scrollup; 03-24-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

So once it swaps the IDs on my friend's computer does it swap them back after?

Thank you CaptainChaos for your question. As of now, it's a very simple program, it just gives you the ability to view the current iTunes database ID, or to modify it.

So what you would do in the case you mentioned:
    1. View the current ID and write it down. (by choosing "O" in the program)
    2. Modify the ID to connect your iPhone. (option "S" in the program)
    3. When you're done, modify it back to the ID you recorded in step 1.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scrollup For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (03-25-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

this rocks

Test:cool
    Last edited by Vinsanity1521; 04-04-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: was testing my avatar

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there any chance this application will come out for the mac as well? I would really like to sync with my mac and pc.

Thanks,
    ~Thorlax

I hope to make it available for the mac someday, but in the meantime here's my suggestion:

Have your iPhone synced to the mac, then go into the Music directory and locate the "iTunes Music Library.xml", open it in any word processor, locate towards the top of the page where it says "Library Persistent ID</key><string>****some code here********</string>" and copy down the 16 digit code located there.

Now on the PC, run iFone Anywhere and click "s" and type in that 16 digit code, and it should now allow you to access and add music to your iphone on either computer.

As stated in the readme, I suggest that you set the setting on the iPhone (while it's still on the mac) as "manually manage" (or something like that) otherwise it may want to overwrite the previous library.

I haven't tried yet the above myself, so please let me know if it worked. Thanks, and good luck!

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds pretty cool.

How is this different from swap tunes?

I've heard of swaptunes but haven't used it eiher.
    *T*Mo**

SwapTunes is a iPhone app that creates two libraries on the iPhone itself so you would have to switch back and forth between both libraries to listen to your stuff. So with one computer you sync to one virtual library on your iPhone, and with another computer you sync to the second library.

With iFone anyehere you have one library on your iPhone (which I believe is more convenient then two), but you can add music to your iPhone from as many computers as you want, by running iFone Anywhere on them.

Enjoy!

Thanks

Works great
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something. -- Jackie Mason

Thanks bdwayneh for the feedback. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by scrollup View Post
    Based on Andrew's blog my friend and I developed a program to allow you to add music to your iPhone from any PC (windows) computer.....

...The ID is located in two places (as you can read about in Andrew's blog) we developed this program to easily retrieve and replace the ID's without the need of editing the files manually.
    Where can I get this program that you created to retrieve and replace the ID' without the need of replacing the files manually? Andrew's Blog doesn't even mention it. Please update me with a link. Much appreciated
    Last edited by iPhizzyMyNizzy; 04-28-2009 at 10:00 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhizzyMyNizzy View Post
    Where can I get this program that you created to retrieve and replace the ID' without the need of replacing the files manually? Andrew's Blog doesn't even mention it. Please update me with a link. Much appreciated
    the link for the program is in the very first post.
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

pretend I never asked such a dumb question. lets just say I just wokeup

Hi, this is great.

Is there anyway I can get the ID KEY that my iPhone is currently using?

Thanks
    Andy

Thanks

It's sad we have to make mods like this, we should be able to add music from any pc or mac or any program. At least with my Walkman I can put in any tape I want to hear. LOL

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

eh. not so practical, but it works.

ey bob, may i change your persistent id?
    *T*Mo**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast