Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Launch App from Command Line?

Default Launch App from Command Line?
    Is it possible to launch an application from command line, using a shall script or other binary?

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

I know you can launch an app from terminal by typing /var/Applications/Name.app/Name where Name gets replaced by the app name you want to start. This works from winscp for example or the phone itself using Term-vt100. Make sure you write the name correctly and it is case sensitiv.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

Applications launched as separate processes don't respond to the home button and don't receive the rotate notifications (or some others) that SpringBoard provides.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

I never got them to work right from the command line. I gave up.

It does come in handy sometimes, just last night after trying something I could not access installer and could not respring due to the icon's not showing and did not want to risk to reboot, I launched from terminal and could fix everything with no risk.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

This is late to respond the the question, but......

Erica Utilities (from Cydia) has several command line utilities, one of them is to launch a regular Application, and I believe this way it would "behave normally". On Cydia use Search and it should be in the list there, and command is "launch" = "Run an application from the command line as if it had been launched in Springboard. You must submit the application id, eg. launch com.apple.Calculator

-- go to Cydia right from your iPhone...

Default Launch Application from treminal doesn't work for me on 3GS iOS 4.0....
    i've tried to launch Youtube app ... by the following:

myIphone-:/Applications root# launch = "gsc.youtube"
    2010-08-04 16:45:39.467 launch[494:107] *** Assertion failure in -[UIApplication init], /SourceCache/UIKit/UIKit-1261.5/UIApplication.m:509
    2010-08-04 16:45:39.480 launch[494:107] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'There can only be one UIApplication instance.'
    *** Call stack at first throw:
    (
    0 CoreFoundation 0x31785fd3 __exceptionPreprocess + 114
    1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x320118a5 objc_exception_throw + 24
    2 CoreFoundation 0x31785e91 +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 68
    3 Foundation 0x3299e5bb -[NSAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethodbject:file:lineNumber:description:] + 62
    4 UIKit 0x3011d4b9 -[UIApplication init] + 128
    5 launch 0x00001d90 main + 252
    6 launch 0x00001bec _start + 312
    7 launch 0x00001a88 start + 24
    )
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'NSException'
    Abort trap

i also tried to run it "as is"
    ......-:/Applications root# ./YouTube.app/YouTube

but still no luck...

can you please advise what am i missing here ?

I know it's been a couple of years since that post, and sorry for bumping, but I have the same problem. Did anyone manage to get launch working?

Default Run App from Command Line
    Quote Originally Posted by rausted View Post
    I know it's been a couple of years since that post, and sorry for bumping, but I have the same problem. Did anyone manage to get launch working?

Hi i am a developer and working on it
    You have to do 2 things

if app name is TestApp

cd /
    cd Applications
    cd TestApp.app

1. chmod 777 TestApp
    2. ./TestApp

mine is working and inshaallah will your also