Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backup Program

Default Backup Program
    am i the only person that thinks that there should be a program that u run on ur computer that backups all the mods youve done to ur phone at the same time? it would making the porcess after a software update alot easier and faster... all you would need to do is run the prgram to create a backup of all ur thirdparty apps, icons, themes, etc. and it saves it in like a folder... then restore, update, jailbreak, and then copy that backup back over to ur phone.

in other words, we need a relatively simple iphone-mod-backup program for the pc or mac.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Was there really a need for 2 threads of the same question?

But I do agree it would be an good idea.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

double post,
    and just backup files via winscp or iphonebrowser
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lifesmymachine View Post
    double post,
    and just backup files via winscp or iphonebrowser
    I think he's reffering more to an automated system, press of a button, all of your mods and info transfers back to the iPhone, similar to the restore feature in iTunes, press of a button, everything is back to the way it was before the update/upgrade.

You gotta post the same thread in 2 different parts of the forum ?

WTF , don't be so stupid.

First off that wouldn't work - when Apple gives up updates it changes the OS so why would you want to reload everything exactly as it was before, the best way is to have an iPhone folder and put all of your special icons in there with an easy to understand structure so it will be fast to be back up and going

i agree with the original poster...it would be a huge convenience if someone would muster up a backup script. Obviously, not one that would "put everything back the way it was before" literally, but rather just the non-firmware specific modifications. I think it probably would be trivially simple, as in merely modifying the installpdb.sh script to "getfile" instead of "putfile" or the likes.

Whatever, I don't give a **** if I have to redo it from scratch when the day comes that my phone gets screwy, requiring a restore to fix it. Since there has been such advancements in the entire process, I'm sure doing it over again would provide a much cleaner filesystem, since I have been lazy to maintain the intricacies of the deeper nested folders...like when upgrading to a new major release of an evolving program or using a different implementation of a program to achieve the same results.

For instance, I can't stand what iFuntastic 3.? did to my phone...i realized afterward that I'd much rather have never used that tool and stuck with the terminal/sftp/ssh method I'd trained myself to use in the beginning...it just yielded a much more controllable interface in my opinion...but iFuntastic 3.xx littered crap all over the place....

A fresh install is what the doctor ordered...I felt much better thereafter.

btw: anyone else tried the new app called TouchTouch Revolution? Pretty darn sweet. Get it via installer.app.

Have a great one everyone who took the time to read this relatively pointless post!

--jonathan