Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thoughts about ITunes replacement

Default Thoughts about ITunes replacement
    I know most efforts so far have been how to unlock the iphone, how to skin it, and how to customize it visually. It’s about time we can get some relief from the horrible ITunes.

Just the idea of syncing is weird to me; I have all my movies on discs, not stored in the computer. When I want a movie on the iphone, I want to convert it and upload it on the iphone. Just last night I created an mp4 movie andsynced it, the deleted it of course from the hdd. When I was going to do another movie, and sync it ITunes deleted the first movie.

That’s just the movie side of it, the mp3 side I have yet to figure out yet. I have just under a terabyte of mp3s. ITunes hang every time it tried to build a gallery. If I want a song or an album on my iphone, I want to drag it or upload it to the corresponding folder on the iphone, not sync it.

Pictures sync is equally useless, whenever I sync another time the original sync is deleted.

ITunes are great for people that have no knowledge about computers I think, but can someone please make an easy upload drag and drop program for the iphone.

Had this problem when I bought my girlfriend and ipod last year also. Tried and tried ITunes, but we both didn’t like it. Too bulky, all we wanted was to drag a folder or a file onto the ipod. Searched the net, and yes, countless of software that allowed you to drag a folder or mp3 or just a single file. No hassle, no syncing, just easy and perfect.

Why isn’t there such a thing for the iphone?

LOL...yeah I agree, but you have to remember that this takes time/work. And for 3rd party software that are free...well you can't complain yet. I hope that someone will include this in the all already available apps that you can drag and drop files into ...like iphonelist,iPhonebrowser etc.
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

Apparently you need to learn what syncing is. Of course if you delete something from itunes it will delete it from the iphone.

yeah but its usage is so much different then regular ipods. u can just drag and drop **** onto ur ipod, in manual mode. there should be a way to not have to sync.

plus, and i havn't figured this out yet... how the hell can u enable file system so u can use those 8 gb as a removable HD? on an Ipod, like my 60gb video, u can use it pretty much as an external HD if u just go into it thru explorer etc.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    yeah but its usage is so much different then regular ipods. u can just drag and drop **** onto ur ipod, in manual mode. there should be a way to not have to sync.

plus, and i havn't figured this out yet... how the hell can u enable file system so u can use those 8 gb as a removable HD? on an Ipod, like my 60gb video, u can use it pretty much as an external HD if u just go into it thru explorer etc.....
    to get music on my 80gb ipod video, i had to use itunes and sync it...there was no drag and drop there either ?? unless you are referring to the "Use as disk" mode...but that was only for data, not for music that the ipod would be able to play.

there are already a slew of applications for the ipod to enable music DB manipulation (anapod explorer, vpod, etc). i really didnt like itunes that much when i was all windows, but it has definitely grown on me since I picked up my macbook. I would say that most apps give you what you put in. if you commit some time to really get to know itunes, it will be much more of a tool for you vs. a PITA every time you want to add media to your phone-pod thingy. Just my 2 cents though...i'm no coder
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

There is if you don't use itunes. My favorite app for my iPod is mediafours Xplay 2. That way I can use as many computers as I want to add music to my ipod. I wish it worked for my Iphone. and the freeware Yami pod works as well.

[QUOTE=antiflash;19305]to get music on my 80gb ipod video, i had to use itunes and sync it...there was no drag and drop there either ?? unless you are referring to the "Use as disk" mode...but that was only for data, not for music that the ipod would be able to play.

Well i remember using winamp to sync my ipod nano. so much easier to use and also it allowed for the drap and drop feature. Has anyone tried doing this with the iphone and winamp?

You hit the nail on the head, I would rather create a folder for each artist or group of songs. And then I really want to have to rename the MP3 files so they appear in the proper order in my playlists. Next thing I want to do is use a different program just to maintain the ID tags. Yep I'm sure glad I know nothing about computers because it makes me appreciate how easy iTunes makes everything. I rememeber ti tooka while to go from WinAmp type programs to iTunes the first time, now I cant imagine going back. Then again, I sometimes get sentimental for Monochorme terminals and 8-bit color displays.

I have around 400GB of music and even my old-*** 500mhz G4 has no problem with iTunes keeping track of it. But since you bought or ripped all the music in your library it couldn't be that some of them are corrupt right.

iPhoto sync is easy and painless as well. I guess everything is just better on the Mac eh?

PS. If you don't want the videos to be removed from the iPhone, keep them in your iTunes library but just delete them from your drive. iTunes will think they are there and provided you haven't unchecked them in the sync window it will leave them on your phone.
    Last edited by darngooddesign; 09-05-2007 at 03:30 PM.
    Various 'Books old and new
    8 Giggity, Giggity, Gigg-it-y.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually kind of like itunes
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

yeah, like i said when i started this thread, itunes is not a bad program. It is made for people that have no knowledge about things, professional users like to do it manually, feels cleaner that way. people that dont understnad that will never understand this thread.

what i have done right now until a permanent solution comes up is that i have created a folder on my drive called iphone. in there i have subfolders for video, photo and mp3. what ever i want there, i copy from my real media folders, then sync. this gives me sort of control.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Including what was just said as well, it is always nice to be able to view what you have on your iphone or ipod in windows explorer. Just like having an MP3 player, it gives you flexibility on how you sync, or if you just want to copy and paste a file on there without going through a proprietary software. For all of the people, including me, that enjoy that freedom and achievement from doing it manualy, do suffer (although not at a huge extent ) from the itunes rule.