Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Acronis or other disk image software - Can this be utilized for iPhone backup/restore

Default Acronis or other disk image software - Can this be utilized for iPhone backup/restore
    Hi to all...new to the site and big thanks to everyone. This is an amazing community...

As the title states, although the iphone utilizes internal flash memory (i think) for its information storage, is there a way to have it appear as a flash drive in, say, windows and then perform an image backup using Acronis (i hate Ghost) so if a crash occurs I can simply : unbrick it, get it recognized by windows again, and then just stripe the disk image back with Acronis to get an instant and full restore without the toil of firmware reversions and jailbreaks not to mention app reinstalls, etc, etc.

I've read through other threads and I know I can use iPhoneBrowser to individually backup my folders...just looking for a complete and instant solution. Has this been considered...is it even possible?

Thanks !!

ok...

Basically I need to know two things :

1) Is the iPhone "recover mode" like an iPod "disk mode" in that it just makes the iPhone appear as a usb flash drive in your chosen OS (for me windoze)

2) Is putting your iPhone in "recover mode" harmful in any way to the stability of the flashware on the iPhone or will it be just fine and dandy if you :

- put it in "recover mode" to, say, make it appear as a disk

- then back it up as a disk image using Acronis to you pc's hard drive

- then boot iPhone out of recover mode (using one of the many published methods) after the imaging software completes the disk image backup process

Basically anyone have a guess if this process will mess with the flashware or change some setting in the iPhone that will make it unstable or unusable after entering "recover mode" ?

come on...someone must have a thought on this...anyone?
    Last edited by Engineer; 01-25-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i was also thing about this

also when i have messed up my iphone i am able to ssh into it
    but i never wanted to try a copy everyfolder

i was also thing about this

also when i have messed up my iphone i am able to ssh into it
    but i never wanted to try a copy everyfolder

On a mac if you install AFP Iphone shows up a a shared computer and you can access the entire file system. I don't know about windows but I will look into it I am curious to.

This would be amazing. I am going to try a few tests with this myself if I get time (I usually don't)