Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneBrowser Issue (not showing Applications and var)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhoneBrowser Issue (not showing Applications and var)
    I'm having an issue with iPhoneBrowser. I've tried both 1.5.2 and the beta 1.6.0 and come up with the same problem. My phone has been jailbroken with pwnage tool 2.0, and the first time I connected the phone and used iPhoneBrowser it worked fine. I had all the directories listed and could access anything. Now when I connect, it shows most of the directories, except the ones I would like to access most: 'Applications' and 'var'. Instead, they show up as unknown file types. I have attached screenshots that might help see what's going on. Anyone have any ideas what happened or how to fix it? The phone works just fine, and I can access the files if I absolutely have to through iFuntastic, but that requires a trip to work if I want to tinker.

Thanks,
    bobPedro

iPhoneBrowser 1.5.2

iPhoneBrowser 1.6.0

Did you run something to move applications or fonts, etc. to gain space?

That might cause iPhoneBrowser to see the link and not the file, though that is wierd.

Good to know it was working on 2.0 though.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No, I didnt change anything, except close the program and open it a little while later. I've resorted to going through the long way that the shortcut pointed to, just makes some of the quick menu items not work is all.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

Same here...iphonebrowser 1.5.0...Applications folder aint there.
    Same thing with PCSuite....Applications folder not there neither.

I dont have my MAC with me...will try CyberDuck tonight to see if it's there or not.

you can still access var folder in /private/var
    Last edited by SundayDuffer; 07-25-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Same thing here. However, I added BossPrefs and updated the base Cydia stuff between times. Thought that might be it, but guess not.

Default My guess...
    I'm guessing it's because the apps were moved and made a symlink and iPhoneBrowser doesn't like that.. maybe the creators of the browser could look into that?

I found a solution on my phone by using ls -l in the root you can see the symlink to where apps on, on my phone it's at:

/private/var/stash/Applications.UBUPZZ

So if you go there, then add a favorite you can easily access your apps again. :-)
    Last edited by Websteria; 07-29-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

YUP, I had the same problem..then I clicked private/var/ and my problems were solved......

I am a noob to the Iphone hacks, is there a forum for beginners that explain step by step procedures?
    Still a bit fresh at this...and will evolve to FRESH in a Bel Air type of way!

If you have SSH or MobileTerminal working, can you do ls -la / and post what is displayed for Applications?

Soft links to the relocated Applications worked with the afc service in older firmware version, but I am not sure I can or should make soft links transparent if the new firmware ignores them.
    Pocket-sized Development

Here you go.

drwxrwxr-t 16 root admin 816 Jul 29 12:53 ./
    drwxrwxr-t 16 root admin 816 Jul 29 12:53 ../
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 502 admin 6148 Jul 21 10:37 .DS_Store
    d-wx-wx-wt 2 root admin 68 Jul 21 10:37 .Trashes/
    drwx------ 2 _unknown _unknown 170 Jun 25 20:38 .fseventsd/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 30 Jul 25 18:51 Applications -> /var/stash/Applications.UBUPZZ/
    drwxrwxr-x 2 root admin 68 Jun 15 22:51 Developer/
    drwxrwxr-x 14 root admin 680 Jul 25 18:51 Library/
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 18 14:35 System/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Jul 29 12:53 User -> /var/mobile/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2040 Jul 23 21:31 bin/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 68 Jul 21 10:37 boot/
    drwxrwxr-t 2 root admin 68 Jun 15 21:54 cores/
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 root wheel 1213 Jul 29 12:52 dev/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Jun 25 20:37 etc -> private/etc/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 68 Jul 21 10:37 lib/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root admin 68 Jul 21 10:37 mnt/
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jul 23 14:12 private/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 850 Jul 23 21:29 sbin/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 15 Jun 25 20:37 tmp -> private/var/tmp/
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 408 Jul 27 19:39 usr/
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Jun 25 20:37 var -> private/var/

I can confirm this. I have not symlinked, unless Cydia has done it automatically. But it does not show up even using the 1.7.0 version. Im almost sure this is caused by Cydia's App linking to the larger media partition.

When Cydia is started for the first time, it is moving /Applications to another location and replacing the original /Applications with a symlink to the new location on the media partition.

I found a way to fix iPhoneBrowser to detect symbolic links to folders and handle them properly. I will need to add code to handle links to files and then put up a debug version.

I will want to add some more 2.0 compatible features (WinterBoard theme shortcuts, etc) before a public release.
    Last edited by NetMage; 08-20-2008 at 12:04 AM.
    Pocket-sized Development

Since the release of iTunes 8 broke iPhoneBrowser, I put a beta version of iPhoneBrowser 1.8 that works with iTunes 8 and handles directory symbolic links (clicking a file symbolic link will cause a crash).

Please see the announcement post in this forum.
    Pocket-sized Development