+ Reply
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 30 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: {Tweak} iconOmatic [beta]

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX I like to START with where the Theme creator intended. I don't want to have to guess at whether what I'm seeing in my screen matches
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,787 Times in 4,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I like to START with where the Theme creator intended. I don't want to have to guess at whether what I'm seeing in my screen matches the screenies I saw.. .. But you're onto something Eric. What if theme creators created a shadow and overlay for every theme. If the intent is to have no overlay.. place a transparent image in there. This way people keep the two switches on all the time in the tweak.. Just one idea...
    That and maybe they create an overlay that gives depth to the icons while having it turned off keeps it "flat". This way, the user can decide on their preference of how they would like their icons to look. Or maybe the overlay adds a "glass" type effect. Just throwing some ideas out their. Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 9,529 Times in 5,848 Posts

What I explained, Bo, had nothing at all to do with beta status issues.. .. Just figuring the best way for the theme creators to interact with the tweak.. and communicate that to users.
    Hence
    We're all still learning how to tweak the tweak

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

I couldn't agree more. But be very careful to check with your theme creator as to what needs to be checked on and off in the tweak. MamaJaay had to bring to my attention that Eli7e should ONLY have Shadow turned on in iconOmatic - NOT Overlay.. With Overlay off Eli7e looks like an entirely different theme!!!

The default settings of iconOmatic after install is with Overlay and Shadow on. Theme creator needs to let their people know how to set switches in tweak.
    If the themer does not want to have an overlay they should just make that image blank then if overlay is on it will just apply a blank image. Just like before if the themer wanted to not include.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (01-28-2014), EricB78 (01-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,486 Times in 4,302 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricB78 View Post
    That and maybe they create an overlay that gives depth to the icons while having it turned off keeps it "flat". This way, the user can decide on their preference of how they would like their icons to look. Or maybe the overlay adds a "glass" type effect. Just throwing some ideas out their. Lol
    All good ideas.. Too many options, stock, with a new theme, creates confusion.. Lots of PMs or Cydia emails. Blue has been the guinea pig for iconOmatic.. and you can see the issues arising.. He's a good sport.. So it's been a good beta process so far..

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Hence
    We're all still learning how to tweak the tweak
    Oh sure. But my point is - I don't think what needs tweaking now - is THE TWEAK.. That's the whole point I'm making. It's how the ThemeCreators do THEIR WB theme creation of the iconOmatic theme elements that needs the tweaking now. iconOmatic's general layout - is pretty much done as I see it. The worst thing the iconOmatic alpha team could do now -would be to change 'basic design elements'. Then the Theme creators are adjusting to new - then iconomatic adjusts to them then back and forth and round and round it goes. iconOmatic, needs to 'pause for a moment' -except for 'bugs'. NO MORE DESIGN CHANGES... Leave it alone long enough for the theme creators to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    If the themer does not want to have an overlay they should just make that image blank then if overlay is on it will just apply a blank image. Just like before if the themer wanted to not include.
    This is basically exactly my idea I expressed based off of Eric's comment. ALL themes should come stock with a shadow and overlay image in their inconOmatic theme element. If they don't wish to have an overlay - leave it blank. it COULD be separated out into two WB themes and then applied as Eric said.. but I think 'stock', when you buy the theme - there should be a single WB theme called something like e7_iconOmatic.theme, 77_iconOmatic.theme, Jaku_iconOmatic.theme, within which are the two bundles needed to make the shadow and overlay.. Whatever you want NOT affected - leave transparent. But all users should leave the OVERLAY and SHADOW switches on in iconOmatic, the tweak. Right now we don't have that option in e7. For e7 to work right I need to go into iconOmatic and switch OFF "overlay". For 77 I need to switch it back on. That's goofy. I should never have to go into iconOmatic after I install it unless I want dynamic shadow.

We're in the stages of setting up the 'future of theming'. We need to get this step of interaction between tweak and theme right - AND USER ('idiot') friendly.. Agreed?
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-28-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

All good ideas.. Too many options, stock, with a new theme, creates confusion.. Lots of PMs or Cydia emails. Blue has been the guinea pig for iconOmatic.. and you can see the issues arising.. He's a good sport.. So it's been a good beta process so far..

Oh sure. But my point is - I don't think what needs tweaking now - is THE TWEAK.. That's the whole point I'm making. It's how the ThemeCreators do THEIR WB theme creation of the iconOmatic theme elements that needs the tweaking now. iconOmatic's general layout - is pretty much done as I see it. The worst thing the iconOmatic alpha team could do now -would be to change 'basic design elements'. Then the Theme creators are adjusting to new - then iconomatic adjusts to them then back and forth and round and round it goes. iconOmatic, needs to 'pause for a moment' -except for 'bugs'. NO MORE DESIGN CHANGES... Leave it alone long enough for the theme creators to catch up.

This is basically exactly my idea I expressed based off of Eric's comment. ALL themes should come stock with a shadow and overlay image in their inconOmatic theme element. If they don't wish to have an overlay - leave it blank. it COULD be separated out into two WB themes and then applied as Eric said.. but I think 'stock', when you buy the theme - there should be a single WB theme called something like e7_iconOmatic.theme, 77_iconOmatic.theme, Jaku_iconOmatic.theme, within which are the two bundles needed to make the shadow and overlay.. Whatever you want NOT affected - leave transparent. But all users should leave the OVERLAY and SHADOW switches on in iconOmatic, the tweak. Right now we don't have that option in e7. For e7 to work right I need to go into iconOmatic and switch OFF "overlay". For 77 I need to switch it back on. That's goofy. I should never have to go into iconOmatic after I install it unless I want dynamic shadow.

We're in the stages of setting up the 'future of theming'. We need to get this step of interaction between tweak and theme right - AND USER ('idiot') friendly.. Agreed?
    There is no way we can ever make something that will be idiot proof. We give the options for people to turn on and off.

Blue (much respect for him) decided to release a theme that relied on a tweak that is in beta. You never do that. Which is why myself and many themers I know have not officially updated their themes to support the tweak yet, rather they have been prepping.

Things change. And sometimes those changes don't work out.

It is not our responsibility to make sure themers use the tweak as intended. That's their job. Even if you have not included a file in your theme and have it enabled it should be blank.

Now i now realize this is not the case. And these things are what betas are for. "Hey when nothing is selected it's still applying the files". These are issues we can address. I will bring it to the team and we will make a decision.

The initial thought was the tweak with them enabled pulls the file. Much like if someone doesn't theme the mail icon it pulls the stock one.

Hope that can clear some things up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

EricB78 (01-28-2014)

Thanks

Now i now realize this is not the case. And these things are what betas are for. "Hey when nothing is selected it's still applying the files". These are issues we can address. I will bring it to the team and we will make a decision.

The initial thought was the tweak with them enabled pulls the file. Much like if someone doesn't theme the mail icon it pulls the stock one.

Hope that can clear some things up
    I hear you, Suby.. But you can't act as an island as a tweak developer. You have to see the bigger picture. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks

I hear you, Suby.. But you can't act as an island as a tweak developer. You have to see the bigger picture. That's all I'm saying.
    If we were not looking at the bigger picture the end user would have absolutely no options.

Thanks

If we were not looking at the bigger picture the end user would have absolutely no options.
    Uhhh.... never mind. ...

Livin the iPhone Life Fattone66's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,922 Times in 2,646 Posts

Lol!! How can I get rid of this it keeps constantly popping on my screen everytime I open my homescreen.ImageUploadedByModMyi1391002763.584404.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fattone66 For This Useful Post:

nealh (01-31-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fattone66 View Post
    Lol!! How can I get rid of this it keeps constantly popping on my screen everytime I open my homescreen.Attachment 653583
    Are you sure it's happening every time and not just after an update?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

nealh (01-31-2014)

Thanks

Every time I go into my homescreen it pops up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fattone66 For This Useful Post:

nealh (01-31-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fattone66 View Post
    Every time I go into my homescreen it pops up.
    By chance do you have something that is clearing your cache? I haven't had this issue myself.

Thanks

By chance do you have something that is clearing your cache? I haven't had this issue myself.
    I don't think so. Just ran an icleaner and still popping up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone tito12's Avatar
    Thanks

Just a thought: if iconomatic registers your input, let's say in cache or like a cookie, running icleaner removes this entry and the program thinks it's the 1st time it's installed, hence another popup :-)
    iPhone 5s, 7.0.6

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tito12 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (01-31-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi! Whats the change log of the tweak i just upgrade it from the beta repo to the official mmi release and now my overlay and shadows dont work and i get the popup every time i respring my devise!!!

What can we do to bring back the overlays and or we have to set up our pngs defferently?
    Thanks!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,787 Times in 4,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Psprrom View Post
    Hi! Whats the change log of the tweak i just upgrade it from the beta repo to the official mmi release and now my overlay and shadows dont work and i get the popup every time i respring my devise!!!

What can we do to bring back the overlays and or we have to set up our pngs defferently?
    Thanks!!!
    The names should be iPhoneOverlay.png and iPhoneShadow.png now. I just remembered this too. It was due to including compatibility with the iPad.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to EricB78 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (01-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,489 Times in 3,957 Posts

This is why there is a documentation link RIGHT INSIDE THE TWEAK... Please read the stuff we provide to you.

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,096 Times in 3,295 Posts

okay, another Iconomatic version, now a officially release, congrats.

But every time I must pray that you didn't change some core functionality again,
    sadly you did it again and renamed all graphics.

The result: Every available theme must be updated now, nothing works anymore

A more elegant way to include iPad graphics would have been to think about iPad graphics before coding or just name the iPad graphics
    "SbiconShadow-iPad.png" and everything would still work. I'm not sure if you really see the bigger picture because this would have been a very simple and the best solution.

Anyway, dozens of themes will be updated, themers will get thousands of emails. Not a big thing.
    Last edited by Blue; 01-31-2014 at 04:50 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (01-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,489 Times in 3,957 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post

But every time I must pray that you didn't change some core functionality again,

A more elegant way to include iPad graphics would have been to think about iPad graphics before coding or just name the iPad graphics
    "SbiconShadow-iPad.png" and everything would still work. I'm not sure if you really see the bigger picture because this would have been a very simple and the best solution.

Anyway, dozens of themes will be updated, themers will get thousands of emails. Not a big thing.
    Blue,
    Unfortunately, this was not able to be avoided. Those names are how they MUST be designated for the tweak to automatically determine if you are on an iPhone, iPad non retina, or iPad retina, and pull the CORRECT image for your device. We tried multiple different ways not to have to change the icon names, but it was unavoidable. We gave everyone a heads up, earlier in the thread, Subywrex posted a link to the upcoming file name changes... This was almost a week ago. That should have been ample time to make the required changes.

As a themer, you know as well as I do, that file name changes are inevitable. Happens all the time and not just with major iOS refreshes. If apple releases 7.1, and we get a JB for it, maybe filenames will change and you and every other themer will have to update their theme.

For you or anyone else to assume that the filenames that we were using up to this point would be final, is completely unrealistic. While in beta, a lot of things change and we were very clear that changes were indeed coming.

The only thing I can tell you is that we tried to avoid this, thinking of the themers, Modders, and end-users alike, but in the end, it was unavoidable. However, I can tell you, that now that the tweak has gone public, and no longer in beta, the filenames will not be changing anytime soon (Unless apple changes something HUGE--in which case the tweak would likely need rewritten anyway)

I apologize if this has affected you in a negative way... Keep in mind without this tweak, you'd have NO shadows, and things would look a lot different on people's springboards.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

Blue (01-31-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post

First off I tweeted and posted the changes several days ago. 2nd we didn't plan on doing iPad so we changed our minds

3rd this is now the official release as in the first public there is no change log her

4th it is not our fault you released a public theme that uses a beta.

I feel like I've posted on this multiple times. It's also two files I'm not sure how it is complex to send an update and include in your change lot update for compatibility with iconOmatic

And again we all tweeted AND I posted in this thread I think Tuesday

Sorry if this comes off as angry, I have no issue with you what so ever and am happy to have you a supporter of the tweak. It's hard to not get upset when I did post the change the day we made the decision.
    Last edited by subywrex; 01-31-2014 at 05:56 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-17-2014, 01:29 AM