+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone voip app with Canadian numbers?

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I'm looking to get a data only iphone and am trying to find a good voip app. The problem is I'm in canada so I can't use talkatone and google
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone voip app with Canadian numbers?
    I'm looking to get a data only iphone and am trying to find a good voip app.

The problem is I'm in canada so I can't use talkatone and google voice as google voice doesn't work in canada.

I'm looking to compare voip apps that have access to canadian call-in numbers so I can get a number in my area (613 area code).

For example, skype for iphone would allow me to do this.

However I also want the app to be lightweight and not suck down my battery while running in the background.

I'm afraid skype might be bloated =/

So which voip app is lightweight, provides decent functionality, doesn't destroy your battery and can get you a canadian number?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shwick View Post
    ....So which voip app is lightweight, provides decent functionality, doesn't destroy your battery and can get you a canadian number?
    Too many conditions ....... however .....

I use fring and linphone apps with Cheap International Calls | Localphone as the voip provider.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

localphone looks good, it's cheaper than skype, $3/mo for in number in canada, 1 penny/minute out, nice

also they say good voice quality. do you find the voice quality good?

so... do you use fring or linphone to make calls, or which do you like better
    Last edited by shwick; 06-22-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I use fring mostly. Linphone is a backup. Voice quality is great when the WiFi connection is good. I'll use Speedtest to check speed and latency. Fringout is also part of fring and appears to work well although I've been a long-time localphone customer. Prices are good whether I'm calling home while traveling, or calling overseas from home. Note: I don't pay for an incoming number ... I don't find a need, so I have no monthly cost except for what I actually use. With no expiration, it's a good deal for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

but don't you use the same voip network for both fring and linphone? how can linphone be a backup, don't understand =/

have you tried voip over 3g, that's how i was planning to use it

also i don't have a landline that's why im going to get an incoming number

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Fring offers their own VoIP service in addition to supporting an alternative. (added this a couple of app revisions ago). Never tried 3G. I'm a T-Mobile USA user and don't have 3G capabilities.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i see

well since i need an incoming number i guess i could go with linphone as fring doesn't offer incoming numbers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Too many conditions ....... however .....

I use fring and linphone apps with Cheap International Calls | Localphone as the voip provider.
    another question: doesnt fring support sip, so why are you using linphone instead of just fring for everything? does fring force you to use it as a sip provider?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yes, fring supports sip. In fact they have/offer their own sip in addition to offering an third party alternative. Localphone is sip/voip provider and that's the one I mostly use. Linphone also supports a third party sip and I sometimes use it as a backup.

Remember .... it takes 2 pieces to make it all work. An app, and a provider. Fring/Linphone are the iphone apps. Fring happens to also offer the sip portion as well.
    Last edited by Mes; 06-23-2011 at 03:57 PM.