+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using iPhone as wireless network adapter

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I have an iPhone 3GS 4.3.2. I have a pretty old pc and my modem is on the other Side of the house so I would have to run a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Using iPhone as wireless network adapter
    I have an iPhone 3GS 4.3.2.
    I have a pretty old pc and my modem is on the other Side of the house so I would have to run a cable all the way through my house in order to connect to the Internet. I was wondering if I could use my IPhone that is already connected wirelessly (obviously) to my wifi, to use it as sort of "tethering" the wifi connection to my computer via USB.
    I don't want my iPhone tethering it's 3G/edge connection because I have AT&T's minimal data plan which is only 200 mb. Could I use PDAnet and turn off my data so it would be tethering via wifi? Or what can I do so I don't have to buy a wireless adapter?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm no expert, but tethering doesn't work that way. Programs like pdanet & mywi use only your devices data. The only way to do waht you want to do is somehow bridge your connections & I don't see a way you can do that without being able to run an Ethernet cord from your pc to the iPhone.

Thanks

I'm no expert as well, but if I'm not mistaken tethering only allows you to share the iphone’s cellular data connection with nearby wireless devices. Although it functions like a modem, it can't route Internet connection other than that of the phone's.