Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi/My3G/3G download speed experiment

Lightbulb MyWi/My3G/3G download speed experiment
    Ive been using My3G and MyWi since i first jail-broke my Iphone4
    Recently I was on youtube while MyWi was active with no network connections. The video was high quality(like using My3G) and unlike My3G loaded FAST(with My3G I tend to have to let videos buffer for about a minute before I can watch the entire thing without having it pause)

Today I decided to do an experiment with the different speeds which was inspired by the speedtest.net app that I just downloaded.

Please keep in mind that these speeds are with AT&T 3G network in Salt Lake City, Utah. Speeds may vary depending on location.

After running about 30 tests on each setting these are the average results.

AT&T 3G
    Download - 1.4mbs (2.4mbs high)
    Upload - 1.1mbs
    Ping - 434

My3G
    Download - 2mbs (3.2mbs high)
    Upload - 1.5mbs
    Ping - 406

MyWi
    Download - 2.8mbs (4.6mbs high)
    Upload - .85mbs
    Ping - 345

All tests were performed back to back and without moving the phone from its position, the results may vary due to AT&T crappy/unreliable 3G network.

Im not huge on programming or networking so I cant explain why it is that AT&T/Apple slow down the potential speed or if its just something that the MyWi/My3G programmers stumbled upon by accident. Just some fun facts about a few great apps you can find on Cydia.

I would highly recommend that anyone who uses MyWi to keep your phone charging as it does drain the battery much faster.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to virath For This Useful Post:

Gordona (05-14-2011)