+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Itether questions

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Can anyone clear up some confusion for me? I'm interested in iTether or TetherMe but I'm confused about it's capabilities. I read the FAQ section about as well. So here
    Thanks

Default Itether questions
    Can anyone clear up some confusion for me?

I'm interested in iTether or TetherMe but I'm confused about it's capabilities. I read the FAQ section about as well.

So here goes--if (I) buy the tethering app and another person with an iPhone wants to use MY tethering signal from this app----can they use it if THAT person wanting MY wifi signal ISN'T jail broken?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Tetherme / iTether
    No.

Tetherme will enable tethering with or without carrier support, using Bluetooth or a USB cable. You must have an unlock-able baseband using ultrasn0w. Anyone could use the cable in that case, or tether a laptop with Bluetooth after pairing. There is no WiFi support.

iTether is for a client device, like an iPad, iPod, or even another iPhone. It allows them to support Bluetooth client tethering. You only need that when the client is an iDevice.

Sharing to random people via Wifi requires a different app entirely, like PDAnet, or MyWi. You do not need Tetherme or iTether in that case, everything needed is handled by those apps.

Hope that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to keyboarderror For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (10-28-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarderror View Post
    No.

Tetherme will enable tethering with or without carrier support, using Bluetooth or a USB cable. You must have an unlock-able baseband using ultrasn0w. Anyone could use the cable in that case, or tether a laptop with Bluetooth after pairing. There is no WiFi support.

iTether is for a client device, like an iPad, iPod, or even another iPhone. It allows them to support Bluetooth client tethering. You only need that when the client is an iDevice.

Sharing to random people via Wifi requires a different app entirely, like PDAnet, or MyWi. You do not need Tetherme or iTether in that case, everything needed is handled by those apps.

Hope that helps.
    That's what I was figuring and you answered my Q pretty well and I appreciate it

Guess I will get MyWi as I have seen many good things about it and then my fiance could use the WiFi signal I'd get from the app, even though she isn't jb'd.

Thanks a lot!!