+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vroom - get back ram by managing daemons

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Vroom { ibnyaffa } - iPhone Forum BigBoss says its a fake - and its vm (:-.((
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Vroom - get back ram by managing daemons
    Vroom { ibnyaffa } - iPhone Forum

BigBoss says its a fake - and its vm (:-.((
    Last edited by tosbsas; 02-21-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,118 Times in 2,707 Posts

I had read about this, waiting on Cydia to purchase. It's for a good cause too.

Thanks

Anyone tried this yet?

I bought it. Start-up time on my phone was definitely quicker. I can't comment on battery life since I've only owned it for 5 minutes. It was for a worthy cause anyways.
    Last edited by LastSonOfKrypton; 02-20-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

nice
    shall try it out

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks

cant wait to see how mush it rly works

Thanks

apparently its amazing on 2g and 3g
    but not much difference on 3gs

and i mean why would u need more ram on 3gs

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,118 Times in 2,707 Posts

Just got it, definitely a noticeable speed bump and memory levels. Worth it.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I just tried this ... and it appears like the same as the 'virtual disk' mentioned in another thread a couple weeks back (and free -- and possibly ill-advised because too many flash writes). I hope not. Regardless, I contributed my $2 to Haiti Note: I did not notice any boot-time improvement. 3G, FW 3.1.2

Here's my wish list:
    1. Should not require SBSetting/Free Memory to set-up -- not every reboot.
    2. More proactive info. IE: what is active and what is swapped and more!!

Thanks

Got it and there's a huge difference

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

I already deleted un-needed launch daemons based on another thread, does vroom do anything more than what I've already done?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davesnothere11 View Post
    I already deleted un-needed launch daemons based on another thread, does vroom do anything more than what I've already done?
    no but instead of deleting the daemosn it manages them

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

^ thanks for the info should
    be helpfull to some friends I have.

Thanks

Vroom is a fake according to bigbosses site.
    WARNING - Vroom is a FAKE!!
    vroom iphone app is fake. | iPhone News, Help and Guides

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,095 Posts

no it is not a fake. that is irresponsible to say. it is real, it does work. However there is a healthy debate over the tradeoffs. My advice to anyone is that if you dont have any performance issues with your phone then maybe keep it as is. For others, try it, It has been reported by some that it has allowed them to do things they couldnt do before. I have had it over a month, it is not a fake Ron Jeremy.

Thanks

^ Chillout dude - I only posted what I read on Bosses site, it didn't make any difference to my 3Gs.

Thanks

Well I deleted it. I trust BB more than 99% of the other devs out there. Wish I could get my $2 back since I'm sure it's not going to Haiti

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

^+1 on that.
    kwickone I.T.H.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tazzaras's Avatar
    Thanks

its fake, the md5 match to a file thats already on the iPhone, plus bigboss has tried it himself and he countered every point the author said would be better. I agree BB >> Vroom Author. I doubt any money went to Haiti, more like his back pocket
    Go Gators!!!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If the md5sum is the same as Apples dynamic_pager (and it is!!) --- this is a FAKE!!

Repackaging the work of others is stealing --- AND SHOULD BE BANNED FROM MMI

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,095 Posts

Guys, under this argument our entire jailbroken phone is a fake. Its all apple files and system that is being tweaked, renamed, exploited. I do not understand how every single file/app/tweak works on my phone but if I could go thru and analyze each one I am confident that I would find several instances of files changed, renamed, tweaked etc. They are not fake.
    anyhow, this is what I commented in another place:

Ok, I have read every single post since this thread blew up. I am an original beta tester. As much as someone could actually be-friend someone through just knowing them through a forum, I feel Yaffa is a friend. Now, I am not attacking anyone nor making any claims.

1. my own experience with the tweak. As much as I want to I cant say i noticed my phone was faster. Keep in mind I am on a 3gs, its like saying my pc isnt much faster by adding a stick of mem, it already has enuff. The only identifiable changes were the free memory got as high as 203mb. And, the battery would go as low as 1% before dying And phone would wakeup at 5% battery. After installing I was paying more attn and added the % to the statusbar. That could be the reason I felt it was draining faster.
    2. From what I have read from others, (we dont know their motives) what has been reported sounds very logical to me. This dynamic pager plist is from apple but either not on your phone or not activated, perhaps that is why I never had my phone battery going down to 1%. So, it is that file that makes that change and it is an original apple file. Yaffa's tweak among other things, activates it.
    This is what hacking is all about. My DVR boxes came with USB ports not activated and some clever people found ways to get them activated by changing files, porting drivers, etc.

3. VM or not? Of course it is. You didnt open up your phone and add more memory chips to it did you? Virtual Memory. The real question is if its worth the tradeoffs. Hopefully you asked yourself that question when you jailbroke and hopefully you ask yourself that question everytime you install any new tweak. I am sure running sbsettings itself is lowering the life of your phone, all the respringing you do after changing themes over and over trying to get it just right. Its all a tradeoff, decide for yourself and if there are no warnings on your cup of hot coffee, its still hot.

4. The real issue. Should someone charge money for this? It does not matter if it goes to charity or not so just take that off the table. It does not matter if its only 1.99 and some people are just cheap. Thats all relative so take that off the table.
    Is this an error of omission or commission? I believe omission. I do not believe Yaffa is trying to get over on anyone. It is a legitimate "tweak", thats what we are all here for.
    **He should have never renamed the plist. His tweak should only include the other files. As for the actual dynamic pager thingamajigger, if someone doesnt have it already on their phone then it is up to them to get it. This is common practice, firmwares and drivers are good examples. Then, what Yaffa would be providing is a tweak that exploits or "activates" features. Like everything, use at your own risk and decide for yourself.

5. Yaffa, as a friend I hope you take my advice in case this gets uglier.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast