+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vroom - get back ram by managing daemons

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
@floppy-joe.. The REAL issue: This tweek was identified a month ago as Apple Virtual Memory. This uses the exact SAME Apple module (just renamed) to enable the exact SAME functionality
    Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@floppy-joe..

The REAL issue: This tweek was identified a month ago as Apple Virtual Memory. This uses the exact SAME Apple module (just renamed) to enable the exact SAME functionality --- AND attempting to sell it as something new!!

Any way you slice and dice it, that is wrong!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,095 Posts

I think we mostly agree. I said he should not include the original apple file. But his tweak does make use of it and that is what he should sell or give away. Whether it works well or not is up to the user.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Had this been "sold" as a tweek to enable Apples VM, there would be ZERO issues. I might even pay for it.

However it was packaged in a way to deliberately misrepresent his product.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Had this been "sold" as a tweek to enable Apples VM, there would be ZERO issues. I might even pay for it.
    Thank you, that is what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    However it was packaged in a way to deliberately misrepresent his product.
    We can disagre on the deliberately part. Indirectly misrepresented or failed to fully disclose. He did say from the beginning that it was not new, that he did not create or change the contents of the dynamic pager plist. But people just learning about it and buying it off cydia wouldnt know that.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Deliberate??

If your package includes a renamed module "dynamic_pager" which is already part of Apples software distribution ... it's very difficult to come to any other conclusion.
    Last edited by Mes; 02-21-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,105 Times in 2,700 Posts

This may have no relevance, just reporting. The VM plist tweak created swap files in /var/vm as needed, these were physical files. I've emptied that directory and removed the VM plist (dynamic pager) from the LaunchDaemons, leaving the Vroom plist and the VroomDta directory, which only contains a plist. I am getting similar results regarding reported "ram", a bit smoother operation but I cannot find any swap files that have been created for this to work. Feels like less swapping that the VM mod, could just be placebo. Been using this for several hours now. Could there be merit to the slight difference in methodology or can anyone shed a little light?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@metaserph....

Personally, I've noticed just the opposite. Slightly less free memory, a bit sluggish, etc, etc.....
    I think it's as you said -- a placebo effect. But who knows for sure? Keep tabs on it and let us know.

Thanks

The memory levels do go down a little lower than the VM levels but a quick Free Mem restores them and there's almost no lag on SBSettings getting back, for me. Still my app transitions and overall navigating are a bit smoother. Battery use seems about the same. Will stay on it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jbone1337's Avatar
    Thanks

i would like to say this to floppy_joe, if you are not the person or a friend of the person who created this scam tweak and are trying to defend it, you are seriously a freaking waterhead....
    And maybe you should go back to the theme launches section. Because that is the only thing you probably even know anything about or can do.

What big boss said is true. Whether or not it added more memory or not is irrelevant. That is the only truth this tweak said to be true. For it to be legit it needs to be 100% true!

And charging for it is even worse, you can add VM easily without this tweak.

Ok Virtual Memory is basically a cache(or paging file) created on your hard drive(or the flash memory in this case) to act as ram. Ram was meant to be used with the ram, because the writes are very harsh and the ram was made for that. The storage drive was meant for long term storage.

And the ram is extremely faster then the flash memory. So using VM is very slow ram.
    Adding VM will not make anything faster... its just adds some extra ram that is slower. It impossible to speed up the device with this! The only + to even having VM is to not run low/out of memory. If you run low you will start to lag, if you run out things will crash. This will help prevent that.

When you access the flash memory it uses battery, and having VM on the flash memory would cause it to read/write ALOT! So this would cause a drop in battery life.

Flash memory has usually atleast 100,000 writes in it. Ok take every time you add/delete things on your idevice. if you do ANYTHING it uses ram. If you are using VM and the VM gets used, each time thats going to be 1 write added. So 100,000 sounds like alot but can go very quickly especially if you use your device frequently. And there is no way to replace the flash memory(atleast not easily).

i would also like to add that advertising that you are donating to charity and taking money from people under that pretense and you dont donate it, is fruad and is a FELONY!

Like Meta said, it IS a placebo effect. but you are probably too stupid to even know what that is, and will probably have to go google it.
    Last edited by jbone1337; 02-21-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    OpenFient/Any other gametype: JBone1337

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jbone1337 For This Useful Post:

SnowLeo (03-05-2010)

Thanks

why dont we just cut to the chase. It enables a swap file and is VERY DANGEROUS. It is a bad idea to use a swapfile on flash memory. uninstall it if you want to keep your phone in working condition for double the time that you would have if you keep using it.

Thanks

I've deleted Vroom, Cydia uninstall. Checked that those files were in fact removed, which they were. Did NOT re-install the VM plist file, so no swap files either. My memory levels are the same as when VM was enabled. I have NO dynamic pager plist in my LaunchDaemons nor files inside the /var/vm directory. WTH!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbone1337 View Post
    i would like to say this to floppy_joe, if you are not the person or a friend of the person who created this scam tweak and are trying to defend it, you are seriously a freaking waterhead....
    And maybe you should go back to the theme launches section. Because that is the only thing you probably even know anything about or can do.

What big boss said is true. Whether or not it added more memory or not is irrelevant. That is the only truth this tweak said to be true. For it to be legit it needs to be 100% true!

Ok Virtual Memory is basically a cache(or paging file) created on your hard drive(or the flash memory in this case) to act as ram. Ram was meant to be used with the ram, because the writes are very harsh and the ram was made for that. The storage drive was meant for long term storage.

And the ram is extremely faster then the flash memory. So using VM is very slow ram.
    Adding VM will not make anything faster... its just adds some extra ram that is slower. It impossible to speed up the device with this! The only + to even having VM is to not run low/out of memory. If you run low you will start to lag, if you run out things will crash. This will help prevent that.

When you access the flash memory it uses battery, and having VM on the flash memory would cause it to read/write ALOT! So this would cause a drop in battery life.

Flash memory has usually atleast 100,000 writes in it. Ok take every time you add/delete things on your idevice. if you do ANYTHING it uses ram. If you are using VM and the VM gets used, each time thats going to be 1 write added. So 100,000 sounds like alot but can go very quickly especially if you use your device frequently. And there is no way to replace the flash memory(atleast not easily).

i would also like to add that advertising that you are donating to charity and taking money from people under that pretense and you dont donate it, is fruad and is a FELONY!

Like Meta said, it IS a placebo effect. but you are probably too stupid to even know what that is, and will probably have to go google it.
    No you are a freakin waterhead, read what I said. I AM NOT DEFENDING ANYTHING, I AM ACTUALLY COMPLIMENTARY TO BIGBOSS. LEARN TO F'N READ AND COMPREHEND CHILD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
    No you are a freakin waterhead, read what I said. I AM NOT DEFENDING ANYTHING, I AM ACTUALLY COMPLIMENTARY TO BIGBOSS. LEARN TO F'N READ AND COMPREHEND CHILD.
    ok calm down man, i didnt really read your 2nd post. i read the 1st one where you said it is not fake and works ect. I apologize for not have read you second post.

But you are the one yelling and acting childish imo.

"My father always used to say, "Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument." Good sense does not always lie with the loudest shouters, nor can we say that a large, unruly crowd is always the best arbiter of what is right."
    Desmond Tutu

Thanks

4. The real issue. Should someone charge money for this? It does not matter if it goes to charity or not so just take that off the table. It does not matter if its only 1.99 and some people are just cheap. Thats all relative so take that off the table.
    How can you take this off the table? He's charging for someone else's work which is bad to begin with but he's also doing it under the guise of charity.

It does matter. If we can't trust that there's been full disclosure on this how can we trust that any money that's thus been given is really going to charity?

You can't arbitrarily say, '..take that off the table' and expect no one to see the elephant in the room.
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 02-22-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 744 Posts

isnt every single thing in the jailbreak community someone elses work? cracked apps? themes? tweaks? add-ons? etc etc? everything out there was from the phone and developers and themers take them and TWEAK them its a TWEAK. so if you want to get technical...everything belongs to apple and everyone is wrong and NO one should do ANYTHING but use their phone as a phone and leave it unthemed, untweaked in every way, and shut up. right? all the images from the stock OS are taken by TONS of themers and modified. We ALL use stuff and MODIFY it. I'm sick of people ******** about this already. it's done and over with just drop it.
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=9577588
    Precious Metals: Gold & Platinum Now Available on Cydia & Rock! Download now!
    PM me for additional details or look on page 346 post #5185

Precious Metal Glyph Icon PSDs (Click to Download)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ibnyaffa's Avatar
    Thanks

here is my replay to bigboss and his words agenst me and vroom..

btw vroom works just fine... but he didnt like it cuz he is the BIG brother that watches over us...lol anyways here is my post about bigboss... a promise kept... - iPhone Forum

and you can get vroom from here for free.... and again yes it works...Vroom { ibnyaffa } - iPhone Forum
    Twitter and Ping: ibnyaffa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibnyaffa View Post
    here is my replay to bigboss and his words agenst me and vroom..

btw vroom works just fine... but he didnt like it cuz he is the BIG brother that watches over us...lol anyways here is my post about bigboss... a promise kept... - iPhone Forum

and you can get vroom from here for free.... and again yes it works...Vroom { ibnyaffa } - iPhone Forum
    wow the dev actually posted here O.o
    You have some guts lol, i can respect that.

But come on, i dont know if you just know nothing or are really trying to sell it but...

It will also charge your iDevice faster
    wow, really? seriously? the rate at which it charges has nothing to do with an OS.....

you'll notice it will drop now as low as 1% before dieing.
    Before the tweak it was around 6-5%
    And instead of waiting for the battery to be 15% before it wakes now it'll start up at 2-5%
    and im fairly sure that shut off limits are handled in the bois or kernal

Also this tweak will increase the speed and memory in your iDevice to allow faster surfing through it and faster performance. And also faster boot and re spring.
    VM does NOT speed up anything...............................
    VM is a paging file to act as ram on the flash memory that is 1000x slower then normal ram.(flash memory access time is in the milliseconds as to ram being in the nanoseconds).

The only thing that would help is lag/freezing/crashing when you run low/out of ram...

And the way ram works is if you are using say 2.8gb of ram, and in your computer you have 16gb of ram, then you would notice no differences then a person running 4gb.

so for the idevice if you had 170mb of ram, and use normally 80mb for the most demanding game, you will notice NO difference if you had 200mb and use 80.

Vroom comes with the ability to increase the life of your idevice. The way it was meant to be.
    ?????????????????????????

The way it works it will control other daemons so they won't run unless they r needed.
    im not really sure if thats true or not, but according to bigboss the only thing in this deb was the re-nammed plist file with no other changes. And i would probably believe that just after reading all the above BS you posted on your thread.
    But Im sure that anything running will most likely need to be running, or can be toggled in the settings.

I would like to see the actual files you use for this so i can see them myself w/o installing it.

And i like how you dont mention anything about how harmful VM is. i mean the flash memory has anywhere between 100,000-1,000,000 writes before it is dead. It seems like alot but when using VM and using like 100+ writes a day under light/normal use, it goes fast.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Download the free file above and extract the .deb and take a look at the files yourself. This has been beat to death, and BigBoss is nothing short of a bully.

Did you even bother to read any of the original post? Did you even click the link and see that yaffa just donated $150,000.00 to Haiti??

Oh wait, I forget, because BigBoss says it's so, it must be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbone1337 View Post

i believe floppy joe IS a friend of ibnyaffa... proven here:

(floppy changed his name to vansmak on MacCiti)

also, to all the people saying that vroom doesnt work, i was a beta tester and it actually works fantastically. did you even see the screenshots he posted? they showed he had 200+ mb of memory... and those of you bashing him saying it doesnt work, have you even tried it?

you people are pathetic, trying to accuse someone of stealing when he is just trying to help...

btw, the money was going to haiti, but he only raised $505 in the 2 hours it was on cydia. so he has graciously multiplied that number times 300 and he is donating $150,000.00 to haiti.

so BiBoss, IBN deserves an apology.... either that, or you could match his donation amount :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch_thedevil View Post
    Download the free file above and extract the .deb and take a look at the files yourself. This has been beat to death, and BigBoss is nothing short of a bully.

Did you even bother to read any of the original post? Did you even click the link and see that yaffa just donated $150,000.00 to Haiti??

Oh wait, I forget, because BigBoss says it's so, it must be.
    i dont want to install this on my ipod...

and ok he donated to Haiti, thats good. But wtf does that have to do with anything????

His post lies so much on what it does.

and the question is, did you read his post?