Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cerebro - Free iPhone Tracking!

Default Cerebro - Free iPhone Tracking!
    I just noticed this on Cydia and didn't see any threads for it. This app is awesome! It's a free way to track your iPhone w/o Mobile Me. You can pull up maps on both a laptop and on another iPhone to locate it. It also has a "Cerebro Sonar" function which will play a random iPod track at full volume so you can find your iPhone under the couch cushions. If you want to send a message to it, the website allows you to type a message which comes up as a push notification. It works very well and I highly recommend checking it out!

For more info:
    Cerebro - Find your iPhone
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billchase2 For This Useful Post:

Abrok (02-01-2010), aesthetical (01-31-2010), Ih8waiting (07-29-2010)

Thanks

how good is the accuracy? and i see that it runs in background and sends a tracking every 30 min... How has that been on your battery, if you have tried it?

The accuracy is pretty good. I'd say mine is about 10 yards off.

I've only had it half a day, but the battery hasn't seemed to drain too quickly. I have mine set at 60 minutes. Tomorrow will be the real test.
    Last edited by billchase2; 01-31-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz

Thanks

keep us posted.. would like to find out

This is a bad *** app for free. If you live somewhere its possible for someone to jack your iphone (like a frat or big house) like me its nice. If you have a habbit of boozing hard and possibly loosing it its AWESOME.

THANKS
    R.I.P - 8GB iPhone - Pwnd - 1.1.4 - T-MobileUSA
    R.I.P 3G- iPhone - All sorts of H4x0r'd
    32gb 3Gs - 3.1.2 Unlocked - AT&T

MacBook (White Uni) - 2.24 - 4GB - 250GB - 10.6.4
    MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz-4GB-320GB - 10.6.1
    MacBook(Aluminum Edish)-2.4GHz-250GB - 10.5.5
    MacBook Air - 1.6 - 80GB -10.5.2 - Lovin' It
    MacBook Pro - 1.83 - 80GB - 10.4.11
    12' PowerBook G4 - 1.5 - 120GB - 10.4.11

Been Cockin' Rockin' and iPhone Unlockin' since v1.0.2.

anyone put two phones on from same email account? do i just use different passwords for different phones?
    thanks

Great application! Finally a replacement for Mobile Me. And in contrast to the Apple service, you can be sure that your information is private because you can use your own server. They even plan to publish the source code today (chrisalvares.com/blog); doesn't seem to be online yet, though.

Here's a short test: It drains the battery a little bit faster (not a lot if you set it to long intervals and if you got push enabled anyway). Accuracy depends on the GPS unit (which is fair for the iPhone). And naturally doesn't work indoors, where it seems to be using WLAN and/or GSM triangulation. The cerebro web interface (if you don't use your own server) is a little slow right now (I guess because of the rush) and functional, but not very polished. If the iPhone is lost, you can change the program settings remotely -- great feature! I hope I'll never need it but it's a good feeling to have it installed.

As far as I know this is the only alternative to Mobile Me when it comes to tracking lost devices. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But because App-Store apps aren't allowed to run in the background, I guess this is another reason for jailbreaking.

I'll have to check this out. I have ilocalis for quite some time, but it is another option to track ur phone, and I thought longitude does as well.

I don't really feel comfortable sharing that information with google (call me overcautious). iLocalis looks great, maybe I gonna give it a try. Unfortunately, (I think) it's not free. Does anybody know how much they charge for Standard/Premium? They don't say the price or something about the trial period on their website (which makes it look a little bit fishy...)

it's as little as 5 euro for the basic for 1 year, and 10 euro for premium. Call me a sucker, but I subscribed to the basic. I felt it was much cheaper than some insurance if I lost or someone stole the phone. Plus it sounded pretty good since it will/can text you if the sim card is swapped, etc. Maybe there are better, cheaper options, but I was new to the iphone at the time. I still may not be as versed as some of you all, but I'm getting better.

My testing: not good.

I gave it the battery test today and it failed. On a normal day, my iPhone lasts the entire day. If I get the 20% warning, it's typically around 8-10pm. Today, I got the 20% warning at 5pm and my phone was completely dead by 7:30pm.

While this is a great service, I can't sacrifice that much battery power for the slight chance of my iPhone getting stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post

I gave it the battery test today and it failed. On a normal day, my iPhone lasts the entire day. If I get the 20% warning, it's typically around 8-10pm. Today, I got the 20% warning at 5pm and my phone was completely dead by 7:30pm.

While this is a great service, I can't sacrifice that much battery power for the slight chance of my iPhone getting stolen.
    I'm pretty much on the same boat...i had to charge my phone twice today.

There should be an option to only turn on when you either mark your phone as stolen, or when you wanna check up on the activity.

Quote Originally Posted by oo3 View Post
    I'm pretty much on the same boat...i had to charge my phone twice today.

There should be an option to only turn on when you either mark your phone as stolen, or when you wanna check up on the activity.
    It has to at least check in to turn itself on. ilocalis has options such as this. It will check in to the server every X minutes, and update location every Y minutes. If you log onto the website and tell it to change the settings, or send you a remote call/sms, it won't do that until the phone logs onto the server and checks in.

Bummer, I kinda liked the option of turning the iPod on to full volume so you could hear the phone. But you could always just call it, provided its not on vibrate or low ringer volume. Speaking of, and not to hijack the thread, is there a way to set the ringer volume apart from the rest of sounds. I don't want to hear games or clicks at full volume, but when the phone rings, I want to hear it. I find I end up setting the volume low for some reason...iPod, sound effects, etc, and then someone calls and I don't hear it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post

I'm with you on this one. I tried it for one full day, and it killed my battery. I am in the process of uninstalling now. Maybe they will change it so there is an option to turn on/off.

I also use iLocalis, but I have been reading what I can find on Cerebro thinking I may try it. I have read that Cerebro does have options similar to iLocalis so you can adjust how often it checks in with the server. That will make a huge difference for you guys that are having a battery problem. Depending on the setting I choose in iLocalis, can make it through the day or drain it in 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by twon View Post
    I also use iLocalis, but I have been reading what I can find on Cerebro thinking I may try it. I have read that Cerebro does have options similar to iLocalis so you can adjust how often it checks in with the server. That will make a huge difference for you guys that are having a battery problem. Depending on the setting I choose in iLocalis, can make it through the day or drain it in 3 hours.
    I had Cerebro set to update every hour. How often do you have iLocalis update that keeps the battery from dying in the middle of the day?

I have it set for every 15 min. But to be far, I'm sure our usage is different too.
    Maybe a better comparison would be my beofr and after. Before iLocalis, around 9:00pm, I would be around 40%. After iLocalis, the same time would be 15%. It made enough of a difference that I started looking into a "battery case".

If I play games, I will kill it before the day is over. My guess is, if I set it to every hour, it would make a big difference. But I like every 15 minutes.

With iLocalis, you can also tell it how often to update the server as well as how often the phone makes a note of it's location. I haven't played with that setting at all, but my thought is that it would change battery life too much. I think the phone actually checking it's location is what kills the battery.
    Last edited by twon; 02-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.

I have ilocalis set to check in every 15 mins, and update location every hour. U can change the settings via the web, so if it were stolen or anything, u log on and have it update location at shorter intervals and it will change at the next check in.

I didn't have the phone long before I got ilocalis, so it's hard for me to say how much batt it uses. I should remove it and see, but I'm usually killing my battery by using rdp or vnc to log into home pc every day.

Great tool. Downloaded and works fine.