Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: New Freemem app is out

  1. #1
    Wink New Freemem app is out
    Out of repeat memory free a new app was born - freemem

    Repeating memory free - Version 3.2.1 Beta Update with new fmem app
    Please donate Wikipedia and support sharing knowledge.

    Version 3.2.1 - Automatic mail, safari and ipod quitting and executing fmem app which will free memory when you close the apps.( with settings menu )

    DEB FILE:

    Download DEB file and uninstall the old script, install the new one and voila:

    http://code.google.com/p/iffplay/

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    CREDITS AND THANKS:

    - The icon is chosen by user "tosbsas". I only changed the color to red.

    - Thanks to Jay Freeman who did an increadible work with Cycript. I think Cycript will be the future programming tool for JB iphones.

    - Thanks to Lance Fetter who share backgrounder and kirikae apps which are must have apps.

    - Thanks to KennyTM for sharing qucikscroll app which is also a must have app.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    TIPS AND USAGE:

    - When you double tap signal or airplane area in the statusbar, it will respring.(optional)

    - When you double tap time area in the statusbar, it will execute fmem once manually.(optional)

    - When you quit an app, the free mem app will execute automatically.(optional)

    - When ipod is playing on background, it will not quit.

    - When you respring, the springboard hook will vanish that means the function will not perform. But the daemon will hook the springboard again after max 50 seconds after you respring.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    DEPENDS:

    1- cycript
    2- Bourne-Again SHell (bash)
    3- coreutils-bin
    5- Preference Loader
    6- adv-cmds

    --------------------------------------------------------------
    CHANGE LOG:

    3.2.1
    - "When quiting application, fmem is not executed" bug fixed.
    - "mail quitting will not quit when it is opened by another app" bug fixed.

    3.2.0
    - New fmem is written which is similar to sbsettings free mem.
    - Double tap on time area for manually execution of fmem added (optional )
    - Show icon and disabling fmem options are added to settings menu

    Update
    Google Project Page
    http://code.google.com/p/iffplay/
    Last edited by tosbsas; 01-29-2010 at 07:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Works Awesome!!!!

  3. #3

  4. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Between Here & There
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts

    seems pretty sweet. is there any potential reason why doing such frequent mem "freeing" would be a bad thing? can't think of any myself, but just curious.
    kwickone I.T.H.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kwickone View Post
    seems pretty sweet. is there any potential reason why doing such frequent mem "freeing" would be a bad thing? can't think of any myself, but just curious.
    Well, you'll probably get longer loading times for several apps (especially stock apps), even for apps that run in the background. Because you're constantly cleaning out all the stuff, that is loaded into the RAM (probably for good reasons).

    I didn't test this myself, so i don't want to spread false information, but as far as I can tell, messing around with the way Apple devs created memory management on the iPhone, is a bad idea. I'm not a fanboy at all, but I'm pretty sure these guys know, what they're doing.

    Freeing memory, before you launch a graphic intensive game for example, makes perfect sense, because you want to dedicate your resources to it in that moment.
    Freeing memory constantly just means, having to load stuff into the RAM over and over again. And that will probably have impact on the overall performance.

    If somebody can prove me wrong, please go ahead

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    When you activate double tap time to run fmem it disables the ability to get into SB Settings. Not good.

  7. #7
    Retired Moderator stlcaddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 128 Times in 90 Posts

    Always a catch, but a fixable catch.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    When you activate double tap time to run fmem it disables the ability to get into SB Settings. Not good.
    Thats not true, one is tap, the other is slide

    Update to 3.2.1

    Ruben

    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Well, you'll probably get longer loading times for several apps (especially stock apps), even for apps that run in the background. Because you're constantly cleaning out all the stuff, that is loaded into the RAM (probably for good reasons).

    I didn't test this myself, so i don't want to spread false information, but as far as I can tell, messing around with the way Apple devs created memory management on the iPhone, is a bad idea. I'm not a fanboy at all, but I'm pretty sure these guys know, what they're doing.

    Freeing memory, before you launch a graphic intensive game for example, makes perfect sense, because you want to dedicate your resources to it in that moment.
    Freeing memory constantly just means, having to load stuff into the RAM over and over again. And that will probably have impact on the overall performance.

    If somebody can prove me wrong, please go ahead
    well here its a lot faster and snappier
    Last edited by tosbsas; 01-29-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •