Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TVOut2 Mirror TVOut

That problem isn't with TVOut, but with the apps you're using themselves. Set orientation to "app" in TVOut. Even if you set TVOut to landscape, your apps are still going to output to portrait (unless there's a setting to do so natively within the app). What you should use is "orientation lock" so that whatever application you're using stays locked in landscape mode (double-click home, scroll to the left tilt your phone to the side and use orientation lock).

Yes, That seems to be fine for some apps as you said but not for all.
    For example I put TomTom into landscape then lock orientation, and insert phone into dock, the image then auto rotates to landscape on the car monitor What would be trully amazing but impossible I know, is to be able to view portrait mode on the phone and landscape on the car monitor not landscape on both since its hard to navigate the phone in landscape mode from portrait orientation.

For the likes of emulators such as NES.emu, MD.emu the image goes to landscape on the phone but on the monitor its also landscape but in portrait view. But the view rotates to landscape on the monitor also if I rotate the device, so it can work. iMame detects TV out and corrects that. Would be nice to change that but the main thing I would use is gps and videos which do work

How about the other options such as split/gaming/video? Do they need to be turned off also? And the auto/tv off/tv on, only tv on should be on right?
    Last edited by sd_dracula; 01-12-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Hi Zewl,
    I actually joined this site to ask you this question (also used your name as referral, couldn't fit both you & Guidob- who seems awesome, but it was your post that brought me here when I Google-searched)! Anyway, I too have an iphone 3GS 5.0.1 (using solely as touch- no phone svc connected), I JB'd (redsn0w untethered) last night for the ability to watch internet on my hdtv (internet ready, led & lcd display). I've yet to DL TvOut2Mirror2 from Cydia, unsure if that was better than DisplayOut. Seems like your case is quite similar to mine & you said it's working beautifully, which gives me hope! Which cables did you use to connect (genuine Apple), & anything special I should know??

Quote Originally Posted by NedBigby View Post
    That problem isn't with TVOut, but with the apps you're using themselves. Set orientation to "app" in TVOut. Even if you set TVOut to landscape, your apps are still going to output to portrait (unless there's a setting to do so natively within the app). What you should use is "orientation lock" so that whatever application you're using stays locked in landscape mode (double-click home, scroll to the left tilt your phone to the side and use orientation lock).
    Unfortunately, sd dracula is correct and using the orientation lock will not fix the issue. Instead of showing in landscape mode after being locked, it will show the landscape view but in portrait mode. I have noticed this issue
    with my past phones and firmwares as well. I have been using TVOut (many different versions as they have progressed) for over 3 years with my 3G>3GS>iP4 and now my iP4S. What I used in the past was "Rotation Inhibitor" from Cydia which does what the native stock lock orientation doesn't do for whatever reason.

Also, similar to what sd dracula posted, my phone is docked/mounted in my car in the upright position so I had contacted the dev (Guidob) over a year ago to ask him if he could add the "load1-4" buttons (obviously not the save1-4 buttons since those aren't accessed regularly) to the portrait settings page of the TVTuner app so you could change the video output screen size for different apps (ie switching from say Navigon to NES etc etc) without needing to remove your phone from the cradle and turn it sideways. I thought this would be a helpful improvement. I told him I would donate to him again if he could implement it for me but I guess he thought it was a stupid idea.

But .....why I'm posting is that I'm guessing that many other users of TVOut2 also use Resupported (I'm using it because I have an aftermarket cable in my house but an official Apple AV cable in my car) and the SlingPlayer app. I know that Slingplayer has updated its app to allow video out but it has a restriction of only allowing it while using HQ (high quality) and when you're driving around using 3G this restriction makes the video constantly stop and stutter rendering the feature quite useless (note: I also tried reverting back to the older 2.0 version but still the same results). The Resupported app must be overiding the SlingPlayer apps' video out (since the play/pause symbols etc are in the top left of the video output) but it still seems to be using the apps SQ (standard quality) restriction of not allowing video out. The sad part is that SQ works perfectly fine without stopping and pausing BUT the video out function will not work on SQ & only plays the audio with a black screen. In the past I used to be able to use TVOut to watch SlingPlayer on SQ with "video" & "gaming" tabs on but now I can only get a frozen image to show. The image will refresh if you tap the screen, turn the device or if a pop-up/menu appears/disappears but the image will always be frozen, never does fluid video playback show like what is shown on the device. I tried to turn off Resupported via the SBSettings toggle but then the TVOut2 function is then also turned off even though the TVOut toggle is still on.

Has anyone else with SlingPlayer been able to get video out to work in SQ via TVOut2? ...if so, with or without Resupported installed?

EDIT

OK...I got Slingplayer video out to display on SQ with TVOut2. However it takes a few steps for it to work. First, you can't have TVOut on when you start the app, you have to turn it on after the video has started. If not, it gets stuck at starting or optimizing when you have it on before hand. Second, the picture orientation in the SlingPlayer app can't be set to "auto". On this setting, the video freezes as I originally described. So to sum it up, the only things I can't get to work as they did previously is... #1- I used to be able to start the app with TVOut already on without the app getting stuck at starting and optimizing. #2- I also used to be able to have the screen on my phone black while the video was displayed out to my tv by having "gaming" on along with "video" in TVOut2 settings. However currently the video is always mirrored on my phone while the video is dispalyed out to my tv. I really would like to have my phone screen black again. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by modmyiguy; 01-28-2012 at 10:56 AM.

As NedBigby said above this is a limitation of the apps, but surely there must be a way for TVout2 to force hardware landscape mode right?
    Maybe at least trick the gyro into giving values that correspond to landscape mode?

Quote Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
    As NedBigby said above this is a limitation of the apps, but surely there must be a way for TVout2 to force hardware landscape mode right?
    Maybe at least trick the gyro into giving values that correspond to landscape mode?
    As I stated above, did you try "Rotation Inhibitor"? It was designed before the stock implementation of rotation lock was made but it still worked back on 4.x and it does exactly what you want it to do. It will lock the video out to your tv as what is displayed on the screen unlike how the stock rotation lock works with TVOut2. For example... the landscape view will be transferred to the tv in landscape mode and not landscape view in portrait mode like the stock rotation lock does with TVOut2. I used to use it to play NES with my Wii mote on my big screen all the time.

I have not tried it on 5.x but I will give it a go later today.
    Last edited by modmyiguy; 01-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.

I will try it today.
    Currently using SBRotator but that works only for certain apps, not all.

Edit: I have just tried rotation Inhibitor and it seems there was also an update to TVout2 so I've installed that too. No change unfortunately the above still apply.
    Last edited by sd_dracula; 01-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.

I dropped an email to the creator of the .emu apps asking for a landscape mode fix and this the reply:

"Hi, looks like your mirroring app wants the entire image layer to rotate but since my app renders with OpenGL, the rotations are handled internally and I just inform the OS via the setStatusBarOrientation message. This is the recommended way to do it according to Apple because applying a transformation to an OpenGL layer has significant performance overhead. The developer of the mirroring app needs to add an option to treat the status bar orientation as the real app orientation to get this to behave correctly. This will also be fixed once I add native display out support in a future update without the use of 3rd party apps."

Can we get in contact with the creator of Tvout2 and ask him if he can implement the above? I don't have his details.
    This will fix the issue for many apps perhaps.

Since the app is free, is the source code available? I might be able to look at it and fix this myself.
    Anyone know?
    Last edited by sd_dracula; 01-30-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has seen this issue before. After using TVout2 on my iPhone 4 (5.0.1), I'm having a problem where I get no video (black screen) when playing movies into my car entertainment system via the dock connection. This is when I select video playback from the car head unit.

If I go into safe mode, video playback works. So I know the phone and cable/HU works. I noticed this after using TVout2.

Now when I tried to delete TVout2, this didn't fix the problem. I don't know what can be done to troubleshoot. Anyone know what files may have been affected to cause te problem? Many thanks in advance.

Default tvout2 crashes youtube
    Hello - I " jailbroke" into my iPad 1 iOS 5.0.1, my first time. Everything working well, including tvout2 mirror tvout, which I think worked far better than my expectations. I also figured out the apple hdmi to ipad converter worked well, aftermarket rca converter not as much so - slower, more pixelated, etc. The problem I have had is that youtube and protube will not function with tvout2 installed on my ipad - they crash upon immediate launch, whether launched directly, from safari, or another browser (terra). I had to uninstall in order to use youtube. Thought I would let you know, and whether there others experiencing this and whether there are any plans to fix. Otherwise a great and very useful app.

I noticed the youtube problems too.
    If you got SBSettings you have a toggle for TVout, just flip that to off and youtube will work but of course you can't output it to TV then.

Hi sd_dracula,

Thanks for making this suggestion to turn tvout2 off as it really shouldn't affect YouTube then. It turns itself on when you connect a cable unless "auto" mode is turned off so perhaps this confuses folks. There have been many reports now of YouTube problems but I'm unable to replicate them with an iPad or 3GS and Apple composite cable. Is it the VGA cable people are using??

If you're having problems with YouTube please post here your device and type of cable you are using so I can work out what is going on. If anybody wants to have a go at fixing this and the OpenGL orientation suggestion above get in contact via guidobellagamba at gmail dot com and I can send you the source. It does use the status bar orientation but OpenGL apps are a bit different as tvout2 intercepts the internal render buffer.

Cheers,

Guido
    Last edited by guidob; 02-16-2012 at 02:50 AM.

So I have an iPhone 4 32gb with 5.0.1 JB, the cable is some chinese copy but only using that instead of the official Apple one because with the official one I am getting problems charging the phone in the car (the charging keeps flickering on/off every second). The chinese one seems to work fine.

Yes the youtube thing gave me a headache until I decided to try toggling off TVout, which didn't really make sense why it could affect it.
    I've dropped you a mail about the code
    Last edited by sd_dracula; 02-16-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Aha, sd_dracula, I think you have just reached the same conclusion as me looking at the source. By default, when you first install it tvout2 is switched on with "Video" mode enabled which means the video will be going to the TV connector leaving a blank screen even though no monitor/TV is attached. I later added the automatic enabling/disabling of tvout2 which means this comes right when you connect a cable and disconnect it. When you first install tvout2 however you need to turn it off and on again in classic computer style for youtube videos to work if you don't have a cable connected. This also explains why I couldn't replicate it as it's a long time since I first installed tvout2.

So the solution is to run the TVOutTuner app and make sure tvout is turned off and video will revert to the device screen.

Finally we get to the bottom of this problem! I'll have to work out how we can avoid this. Perhaps it is as simple as making tvout default to being off when first installed.

Guido.
    Last edited by guidob; 02-23-2012 at 07:06 PM.

hi, the new iPad which will need some sort of tweak to tvout2. If anybody has jailbroken ipad3, knows how to install a ".deb" file and would like to help with testing please contact me on guidobellagamba at gmail dot com… The info I need is the contents of the file /tmp/tvout2.log after you press the debug button in the TVOutTuner Application. It's probably only a very small change..

Guido
    Last edited by guidob; 03-24-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guidob View Post
    hi, the new iPad which will need some sort of tweak to tvout2. If anybody has jailbroken ipad3, knows how to install a ".deb" file and would like to help with testing please contact me on guidobellagamba at gamil dot com… The info I need is the contents of the file /tmp/tvout2.log after you turn press the debug button in the TVOutTuner Application. It's probably only a very small change..

Guido
    Sorry I don't have an iPad3, and can't help but
    THANK YOU GUIDO!
    for staying on top of it

Hello,
    i am having iPhone 2G IOS 3.1.3 and i have bought cheap iPhone AV cable to connect it with TV.

Things to install on iPhone

1) Resupported from cydia
    2) TVOut2 Mirror
    3) iPhone AV cable (5$)

i was able to get Mirror of my iPhone on TV with very little lag which was quite useable. Also played Youtube video , Games etc but i was not able to play ipod movies , Youtube app with full framerate on video mode of TVOut2.

After unsuccessful TV Out on iPhone 2G 3.1.2 i installed WD5.1 IOS 3.1.3 and then installed Landscape TV Out from Cydia.

i Did Following Settings:-

Enable TV Out :- ON
    Force TV OUT :- ON
    TV OUT Compatibility Mode :- Hierarchy , 1 , Youtube /iPod = ON

i got youtube working on my tv with no lag and screen on the iphone remains black only touch works. But no luck for iPod App only audio on TV.. i need to tweak more settings... Please anyone help me with Landscape TV Out settings.

I also tried with TVOut2 Mirror but same as before Video mode is not working only Audio on TV..

Still I need TV Out for iPod movies at full framwrate.

So I found a new annoyance.

Navigon likes to throw up this big black piece of card on the screen stating: "External output not possible due to map license restriction". All the while I can see the map going on in the background. That's nice Garmin.

Anybody got a way around this? I think DisplayOut can get pass it, but it ends up flickering constantly.

Whenever the JB comes for Iphone 5 can someone please post the results if TVOut 2 works with it? Thanks.
    And also whether the iPhone 5 can do composite AV out, hopefully it does not like the lame Androids which do hdmi only.

Quote Originally Posted by guidob View Post
    Having noticed this post the developer would just like to add that having endured a lecture on "implied warrantees" in his emails even for software that is provided free it turns out the problem he was having was because france 24 was putting a black frame around the content of it's videos
    Yeah, you're a pretty pleasant guy too. The price of something has nothing to do with an implied warranty. Learn your common law.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast