Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Release] Orbit (Expose for iPhone)

Default [Release] Orbit (Expose for iPhone)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWxZOTV9jEY"]YouTube - 'Expose' for iPhone, quick device demo[/ame]

Expose has come to the iPhone! Steven Troughton-Smith has done it again. Already having released a few App Store apps along with Stacks and Dashboard in the works, he has now released Orbit. You'll find this app in the Cydia Store for a modest $1.99.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ajl917 For This Useful Post:

blackbriam (10-27-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Cool

This looks interesting. My only problem with it would be the relatively slow build of the pages. Does the app have an option to just put up a simple page where we could assign category icons for the pages? That would be a much better solution than the PogoPlank app. This I will certainly be watching and I hope the author will add that option.

If Steven happens to read this, I'd be happy to work on a cool theme for this if he will add the option to have a static themeable page that links to the pages.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Sadly, I didnt get a chance to work with the app because I wanted to make it work with the Five Icon Dock, but apparently, they are incompatible. Anyone now how to fix that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why would five-icon dock not work? As I understand from the video, this is a regular app and it is launched right from the dock. It then apparently renders the 11 pages of apps on the fly and tapping on any page takes you back to springboard and shows you that page. Am I missing something? I would hate to lose 5-icon dock.

I don't get it. Why don't the devs document their apps a bit better. Same with PogoPlank. They only show you the features and you then have to find out yourself what the problems are.
    Last edited by armadillo; 10-17-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Why would five-icon dock not work? As I understand from the video, this is a regular app and it is launched right from the dock. It then apparently renders the 11 pages of apps on the fly and tapping on any page takes you back to springboard and shows you that page. Am I missing something? I would hate to lose 5-icon dock.

I don't get it. Why don't the devs document their apps a bit better. Same with PogoPlank. They only show you the features and you then have to find out yourself what the problems are.
    I dont know what the problem is, but I had just installed Orbit on my 3G and then when I went into Cydia to install the Five Icon Dock, it said it was going to uninstall Orbit and then after it was uninstalled, I tried to reinstall and didnt get anything...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is there a website for Orbit? I think it has potential, but I need my 5-icon dock.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

All that Ive seen was Steven's website and then I went to his blog and left a comment. Im gonna let Saurik know and see if he can make the fixes...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just installed it on my phones,

5 icon dock works fine!

I'm just making orbit my app that opens when I double tap the homescreen
    Last edited by Raptors; 10-17-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well I just messed around with my phone a bit and it works, but on the initial install, it uninstalled it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alright, so now it just needs themes and it is exactly what I want.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

He needs an option for the double tap home button, or at least make it so it works with Custom Homebutton. Other than that, yea themes would be cool to have.

Hey steve, do you think you could make a scrollable dock? It would work nice with multiple stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by niZmo v2 View Post
    He needs an option for the double tap home button, or at least make it so it works with Custom Homebutton. Other than that, yea themes would be cool to have.
    Yeah if someone could do that, that would be great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Im not seeing it in Cydia It shows in Rock but you cant purchase it. Says its BigBoss repo which I have installed, hmmmm.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Very odd cpjr....I just search for Orbit and it came right up!

My question to the thread followers:

How is this different/better than Categories? I use Categories to organize my apps into virtual folders....but could easily do the same into category specific SB pages and use Orbit to jump to them.

Does it use less memory than Categories? Faster?

Anyone who has tried both, please respond as to your thoughts.

Thanks.
    kwickone I.T.H.

I've been using it all day today! I like it!

All It is, that it takes u to a certain SB page you want instead of swiping.

The only bad thing, it's out my phone In safe mode over 5 times already

Thanks

...aaaaand another premature birth. Apparently, some developers' water just breaks too soon, well before their offspring is ready to face the world.

It's slow and buggy. I don't know how to get rid of the bugs (RAID perhaps?) but the speed could be improved by orders of magnitude if the pages wouldn't be generated every time the app is launched. Rather, a cache (screenshot) should be created whenever there are changes. Much like the "Use background.png" option in Categories.

EDIT: It seems that the OP's video shows a prior version that doesn't have any speed optimizations.

Here's an updated clip:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J6YsSLwLBw[/ame]

And a future version:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJh1vfwQ1ww[/ame]
    Last edited by flix; 10-17-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Are you retarded? I think its you AND your phone that are slow and buggy!
    This works flawlessly on my 3GS, and the thumbnails ARE cache'd! The only time it refreshes them is after a respring.

The fact that you write all this nonsense and admit that "I don't know how to get rid of the bugs" is no reflection on the devs of this fine utility, its just you telling half a million people worldwide that you're an idiot! :::rant off:::

There's only two things this app needs to make it perfect, and that's a way to add a background image... the all black thing is kindof lame. And the addition of springjumps page titles above or below the thumbnails.

Quote Originally Posted by flix View Post
    ...aaaaand another premature birth. Apparently, some developers' water just breaks too soon, well before their offspring is ready to face the world.

It's slow and buggy. I don't know how to get rid of the bugs (RAID perhaps?) but the speed could be improved by orders of magnitude if the pages wouldn't be generated every time the app is launched. Rather, a cache (screenshot) should be created whenever there are changes. Much like the "Use background.png" option in Categories.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyest View Post
    Are you retarded? I think its you AND your phone that are slow and buggy! [...]
    Thou shall be forgiven my child, for thy comment descended upon me AFTER I edited mine. They crossed each other.

The speed of this app really does depend on your iPhone. I have a 3G and would call this app pretty quick, but not lightning fast although I'm sure it is on the 3GS...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast