Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneVM - Use virtual memory on your iPhone

Default iPhoneVM - Use virtual memory on your iPhone
    PLEASE NOTE: I DID NOT WRITE THIS. I DO NOT KNOW WHO WROTE THIS. The topic of this add-on got brought up in another thread and kinda thread-jacked it, so I decided I would just move it here.

This daemon will enable your iPhone to harness the power of your iPhone's flash storage to extend the capabilities of your RAM. I have noticed through usage of this modification that applications open much faster, and backgrounded applications rarely ever quit themselves. I can run 7 applications simultaneously and have 40 MB of free RAM. Keep in mind--this daemon causes very frequent writing to your flash storage, therefore reducing its life.

com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist

Download that and place it into the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ folder on your phone. That's it.

NOTE: There is also a Chinese Debian package that serves the same purpose (can be found here: Download iPhoneVM.deb from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way) but many have not been having as much luck with that one.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
    Keep in mind--this daemon causes very frequent writing to your flash storage, therefore reducing its life.

What does this mean? Is this a safe hack or no? Am I going to run out of flash storage in a few months or is it like the iPhone's replaceable battery where it will get worse but not for well over a year?
    iLive an iLife

It means that if you keep it installed and are constantly backgrounding unnecessarily, you'll probably see a slow-down in performance in about 5 years. Flash memory never lasts forever.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

Bernie-Mac (10-07-2009), matthew1111 (12-12-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

I have seen this all over the web. Im not sure if i trust it, anytime i see a post about it there is usually a flood of post saying dont install it because it will damage your phone. I would really like some answers as to how much damage we are talking about.
    Sent from my iPad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
    It means that if you keep it installed and are constantly backgrounding unnecessarily, you'll probably see a slow-down in performance in about 5 years. Flash memory never lasts forever.
    Ok, i was just wondering if it would mess things up sooner rather than later. So if i have this installed and plan to get the new iPhone this summer i should see no problems till then right?

Quote Originally Posted by ltjbigshot View Post
    I have seen this all over the web. Im not sure if i trust it, anytime i see a post about it there is usually a flood of post saying dont install it because it will damage your phone. I would really like some answers as to how much damage we are talking about.
    I am googling it and it seems pretty harmless if you plan to keep your phone for 1-2 years. I was in a hurry tho have to look deeper into it later and I'll decide to give it a go or not
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 10-07-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iLive an iLife

Thanks

If that's the case i would defiantly do it. I have developed a trend of about a new iphone every 3-6 months hah.
    I am on number 21 since the original iphone was released and i am now on my 2nd 3gs. I dont have the best of luck with the iphone... but you have to love apple care! haha

Let me know what you find out!
    Last edited by ltjbigshot; 10-07-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo
    Sent from my iPad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ltjbigshot View Post
    If that's the case i would defiantly do it. I have developed a trend of about a new iphone every 3-6 months hah.
    I am on number 21 since the original iphone was released and i am now on my 2nd 3gs. I dont have the best of luck with the iphone... but you have to love apple care! haha

Let me know what you find out!
    Lol yeah me too, I get a new iPhone every summer if I don't get replacements so at the most I'll only have an iPhone for a year.

From what I have read it seems legit, but get the one from "stinky1" as opposed to the chinese one. Here is a really good page that covers a lot of info for it (including the stinky1 file download), Im gonna do it!!

edit: whoops forgot the page :http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/ipho...ry-price-risks
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 10-07-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    iLive an iLife

I've been using it for a couple days right now and everything is smooth sailing. Backgrounded apps never quit, no apparent hit to battery life, good stuff.

The one I have linked to and provided instructions for is not the Chinese one.

Thanks

Cant wait to try it out. I just had my 3gs replaced and of course apple generously preloaded 3.1 on it! Soo im stuck here waiting for the dev-team to get a update out hope it gets here soon.
    Sent from my iPad

The only 'damage' this could do is to shorten the life of your flash a bit, but by how much I don't know. It's got to do with the amount of writes to the flash.

Default hiiiiiiiiiiii
    A few days ago, we presented you a tweak to free iPhone’s RAM memory called iPhoneVM. Basically this tweak creates a swap file to keep the less important processes of the iPhone, and by doing that you would get get better performance in terms of speed.

A reader of the site, warned us in the comments that this might damage the iPhone, but i decided to let it go until i do some research. Turns out he was 110% right, and the guys over at xsellize have a huge thread on the matter.

Software developer

I read the whole article

In conclusion, it's fine...

Instead of using the iPhoneVM.deb aka the Chinese version, use stinky1's modified version

----

Here is the Chinese Version:

* Download the .deb file here: Download iPhoneVM.deb from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
    * SSH and place the .deb file into directory of choice (i usually use /tmp)
    * Open terminal and navigate to where .deb file is stored on iPhone (ex, use command cd /tmp)
    * Install using command dpkg -i iPhoneVM.deb
    * REBOOT iPhone (turn power off, then back on)
    * Enjoy

Here is the .plist version (modified by stinky1):

* Download the .plist here: com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
    * SSH into your iPhone and place the .plist in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
    * REBOOT your iPhone (turn power off, then back on)
    * Enjoy.

Uninstall

Chinese Version

* Open Cydia and uninstall it. (Should be at the very bottom of packages)
    * Now SSH into your iPhone and navigate to var/vm/ and delete the swap files inside. (DO NOT JUST DELETE THE ENTIRE var/vm DIRECTORY – ONLY DELETE THE FILES INSIDE)
    * Now navigate to System/Library/LaunchDaemons and delete the com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist file
    * REBOOT iPhone.
    * Done.

.plist Version

* SSH into your iPhone and navigate to var/vm/ and delete the swap files inside. (DO NOT JUST DELETE THE ENTIRE var/vm DIRECTORY – ONLY DELETE THE FILES INSIDE)
    * Now navigate to System/Library/LaunchDaemons and delete the com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist file
    * REBOOT iPhone.
    * Done.

Sum it all up:
    To sum it all up, both methods work but the .plist seems to be the better approach (in my opinion) bc it creates smaller swap files and removes/creates more when needed. I do not think it is wise to use both at the same time. But this is not because I have knowledge about why, only from what I have been reading. (but yet others have used both – so really, im not sure) So pick one and enjoy a little extra boost to your iphone

Most say the VM works, and they see improvements. Few say nothing happens or it causes more lag. My vote goes in the first, I see improvements

---
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Im trying this now on my 2g (.plist version). The initial startup seemed a little slow. But I guess it was just creating the swap file. Now the phone seems blazing fast. I've reclaimed about 27mb in ram while idling. From about 30 mb to 57 mb free ram. So far so good.

I will be monitoring battery consumption. (however on 3.1.2 I seem to have some battery issues already)

edit - woah! after running the free memory command in sbsetting I have a whopping 75 mb free!
    Last edited by desepticon; 11-23-2009 at 01:32 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

flippin sweet. 70 mbs of ram will def help when running navigon with music playing and a call coming through.
    iPhizzle

Working very nicely on my 3G with Backgrounder and Multifl0w and about 12 mobile substrate addons. No conflict with Rock or anything else. Sweet!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Be warned this can and eventually will fu*k up your phone, I used this when it first released and used it for about a month and it was all good until one day without me adding anything phone shut down and got stuck on the apple logo, then I had an incredibly hard time restoring was getting all kind of errors. Plus you'll all see when to memory drops to below 30mb thats when it will free memory it will lag for a bit and playing games that use alot of memory like Gangstar it will be slow as hell and all choppy. What I recommend is not using VM and removing the safe launch daemons instead it doesnt free as much memory as VM but its safe and it does free a good amount of memory. I use it on my 2g and normally have more than 50mb free and up to 62mb with a fresh freeing of memory using sbsetting, and I have 16 mobile substrate add-ons. Just my input. Good luck.

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you describe what you mean by "removing safe launch daemons" a little bit better?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used the plist method. It's interesting, but free ram in SBsettings seems to be a little erratic.
    I'll free emory and get 82mb free. Lock the phone, put it in my pocket and check 5 mins later. 31mb free. Somehow I'd used up 51mb without knowing it!
    So I hit Free Memory again, without closing backgrounded apps or anything. It freezes for a moment, then back up to 79mb.

So I'm trying to work out. Does the page file exist at all when it's not being used, and SBsettings creates the page file when we hit Free Memory? It sounds like it could be the case, since this fix creates the 64mb files only when they're needed, and SBsettings would see it as memory, but not currently available.

While the page file is there, performance is awesome. But if it has to be created (and freezes for a few seconds) every time I launch an application which takes it over the physical memory limit, then I'm not sure if I'll keep it for long.

The hard part about listening to any evaluations is the diversity of user need or wants for this little hack. First off, the iPhone, though plenty able to be "gaming device' is not one per se. It supports a fair amount of functions gaming devices don't so the entire infrastructure of the OS is not really geared towards this end. Also, using the basic applications does not cause great degradation on the functions, but we want to play Modern Warfare while listening to iTunes and Twittering to our possy. We are geeks. We want our bread toaster to have wifi and HD screens too, otherwise they suck. Sigh..
    On the real world for me, I create products that ship around the nation. I email customers with artwork approvals, I receive orders through email and phone calls, I coordinate with production and purchasing through messaging and spend a fair amount of the day using the calculator for quotes, estimates and billing. In addition I stay in touch with friends and family through messaging and Facebook. Being able to do those things in multi-task is a major plus for me. This hack allows me to do that. That's my take. I play "games" on the computer or my Xbox360 when I have the time to kill.
    Last edited by metaserph; 11-23-2009 at 11:56 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hey desepticon Check this forum out for removing safe launch daemons,
    Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

This forum will tell you all about it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast