+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneVM - Use virtual memory on your iPhone

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I don't remember being mentioned that the "virtual memory" .plist makes the iPhone faster. It is used by those wanting to background several apps and multitask between them to have
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

I don't remember being mentioned that the "virtual memory" .plist makes the iPhone faster. It is used by those wanting to background several apps and multitask between them to have some disk space used as physical ram. And yes, removing some of the launch daemons stop certain processes from taking processor capacity so this makes the iPhone a bit faster. But these are two separate functions, not the same. Just saying..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    I don't remember being mentioned that the "virtual memory" .plist makes the iPhone faster. It is used by those wanting to background several apps and multitask between them to have some disk space used as physical ram. And yes, removing some of the launch daemons stop certain processes from taking processor capacity so this makes the iPhone a bit faster. But these are two separate functions, not the same. Just saying..
    I agree. I was just adding my 2 cents. It certainly makes gthe phone laggy. I couldn't even play a game with it installed. You can background a lot off apps for sure. But you sacrifice a lot using this mod. How many apps must someone run in the background?

Thanks

Well, here's the situation. What's good for the goose may not be good for the gander. If you want to use your iPhone to play games, then maybe your method works best for you. I use my iPhone to manage my business, which means I'd rather have several apps open at the same time and not one big mem-hogging game on. My method works for me. We're both happy. The beauty of this all is anyone can configure their device to work however they want, there's not one right-one wrong way. Moving right along...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just removed the swap files. While it's handy having more apps open in the background, the sluggishness got to me. Disabling Overboard didn't fix it in the long run.
    So I'll just stick to having 2 or 3 apps open at any one time. That should make it easier on the battery as well!

Thanks

Very well. However, the .plist launch daemon will create swap files as needed, if you leave it in the launchdaemons folder. As I said, I think it's cool everyone can configure their device as they want it. Glad you're enjoying it!

EDIT: I did NOT disable Overboard, I'm still using it. I disabled mobile expose, an MS addon through SBSettings and my slugginess went away. Not sure that's related but that's what worked for me as I was testing different setups. In addition, deleting the swap files ever so often forces the plist to re-create fresh ones. I notice more zippiness when this is done. Just a comment for those interested.
    Last edited by metaserph; 12-23-2009 at 10:12 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This looks damn cool i tried it and it works fine

Thanks

Hi,

I just wanted to share that there is iPhoneVM 3.1.1.
    You can find it on Cydia via SOS iPhone repo, http://cy.sosiphone.com
    It was released on May 26th, 2010.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

is this compatible with OS4???

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it laggs on my ipod touch 1g..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default IPod 1st Gen 3.1.3
    My ipod is stuck on the apple logo, i've tried hard resetting it connected to the computer and disconnected from the computer.

I placed the daemon file into the ipod. I don't want to restore my ipod all over again. Please help =/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi all,
    Just downloaded and manually installed 'i think' the Chinese version of the iphonevm.deb file and not the recommended .plist file. I don't like it and I would like to remove it. I've checked in Cydia and it is not showing up there to remove (obviously as i installed it manually) and I've done a dpkg -r in mobile terminal and it gives me the following message:

'warning: ignorning request to remove iphonevm which isn't installed.'

BUT IT IS.....HELP....
    Last edited by bitznbytes; 11-10-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: go advanced

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default still good?
    i see this thread has been dead for a while, anyone know if the .plist is still good to use? the ram on my iphone3 can be down to less than 10 alot and apps crash all the time. is this my best bet?

thanx

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234