+ Reply
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 56789 17 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: david ashmans lockinfo

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
New Version of lockinfo and todo works perfectly my iPhone is now complete. Thanks!
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

New Version of lockinfo and todo works perfectly my iPhone is now complete. Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've looked for the answer, but can't find it here...I have tried Lockinfo and intelliscreen. Lockinfo looks SO much better, but what I miss from intelliscreen is the ability to tap on an email that pops up, and get quickview. Is this possible in Lockinfo? I may just be missing a setting or something...Thanks!

Thanks

Dave, I am a little torn about how to approach LI. I understand that LI will lack significant themeabilities and I simply don't like its looks. At the same time I like i the speed and reliability and the plugin structure. On the other hand, I like html/js/css themes like gruppled, since they can be themed easily and even allow significant user interaction beyond simple collapse/expand. Just take a look at my Aqwoah version of gruppled, where I can slide monthly calendars or different weather locations or RSS feeds or add buttons to modify behavior. The problem I am facing is that I will have to hard-code everything and reinvent the wheel if I want to add plugins. So in that respect html rendering sucks.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is whether you could think of a way to somehow give us the best of both worlds. The following may not be realistic, but you may think about it. In addition to the native rendering mode, give us an html mode where LI simply provides the framework for users to add html plugins (and I'm not talking about the Matte UI structure (although it is close to it). So this is what LI could implement:

1. Header container with plist-based elements (background image, icon, title, variable description, 3 optional button fields, optional right icon). It would also receive a default state (collapsed or not). It would point to a plugin html file (plus js plus css) that populates it.

2. Optional Subheader containers with plist-based elements (background image, icon, title, variable description, 3 optional button fields, optional right icon). It would also receive a default state (enabled or not). It would point to a plugin html file that populates it.

3. Subview container with plist-based elements (background image, size). It would point to a plugin html file that populates it.

Each of the above would point to a function.js file that is executed when a tap, double-tap, swipe in any direction occurs. Finally, it would be cool if the html and js functions could access the variables/contents of any of the plugins you produce in the native render mode, so we don't have to generate that info ourselves.

This way, people with web skills could come up with lots of creative plugins without having to worry about the structure of the page and its animations. They could just concentrate on making cool contents within the framework of containers.

As I said, this is just a crazy idea that may give you some thoughts.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stimpy5050's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Dave, I am a little torn about how to approach LI. I understand that LI will lack significant themeabilities and I simply don't like its looks. At the same time I like i the speed and reliability and the plugin structure. On the other hand, I like html/js/css themes like gruppled, since they can be themed easily and even allow significant user interaction beyond simple collapse/expand. Just take a look at my Aqwoah version of gruppled, where I can slide monthly calendars or different weather locations or RSS feeds or add buttons to modify behavior. The problem I am facing is that I will have to hard-code everything and reinvent the wheel if I want to add plugins. So in that respect html rendering sucks.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is whether you could think of a way to somehow give us the best of both worlds. The following may not be realistic, but you may think about it. In addition to the native rendering mode, give us an html mode where LI simply provides the framework for users to add html plugins (and I'm not talking about the Matte UI structure (although it is close to it). So this is what LI could implement:

1. Header container with plist-based elements (background image, icon, title, variable description, 3 optional button fields, optional right icon). It would also receive a default state (collapsed or not). It would point to a plugin html file (plus js plus css) that populates it.

2. Optional Subheader containers with plist-based elements (background image, icon, title, variable description, 3 optional button fields, optional right icon). It would also receive a default state (enabled or not). It would point to a plugin html file that populates it.

3. Subview container with plist-based elements (background image, size). It would point to a plugin html file that populates it.

Each of the above would point to a function.js file that is executed when a tap, double-tap, swipe in any direction occurs. Finally, it would be cool if the html and js functions could access the variables/contents of any of the plugins you produce in the native render mode, so we don't have to generate that info ourselves.

This way, people with web skills could come up with lots of creative plugins without having to worry about the structure of the page and its animations. They could just concentrate on making cool contents within the framework of containers.

As I said, this is just a crazy idea that may give you some thoughts.
    I don't think any of this is crazy, but one of the main reasons I moved away from the HTML rendering as the primary rending method is the unreliability of HTML/JS as a primary platform for "native" interactions (just look at the feedback webapps get vs native apps on the iphone in general) and even more importantly the performance, both in memory and speed.

I'm constantly trying to think of ways to add more simple customizability to the native rendering and I will continue to do that. This is why I didn't remove the HTML rendering... some people prefer the heavy customizations to speed. But it's definitely not my primary (or supported) rendering method.

Just give the native rendering some time to evolve. I'd love to work with you on ideas of how to balance performance with customizability.

Quote Originally Posted by komarto View Post
    Hi,

I just installed the new trial version 114.

I just had a missed call and a voice mail,
    The missed call section lists that call, But I dont see
    the voice mail.

On my iPhone dock I got "1+" sign which indicates that I have a missed call and a voice mail.

Does lock info cannot "see" voice mail?

I checked the settings and set to see empty section, and i see under voicemail 0.

Can you help?
    Do you have visual voicemail? You need it for voicemail to work.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavenport View Post
    Got the update today and the native todo, however still can't get the weather on there.. any ideas how to get this working?

Also, since the update I notice that I am only able to see Todo's that reside in the category "Home" and don't include any in Inbox or Work etc.. Is this a bug or a setting somewhere?
    The latest beta pulls unfiled tasks.
    Last edited by Stimpy5050; 11-08-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LockInfo - Unlock your information. Info Cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i updated my lockinfo 2 days ago and now its asking for a license?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

So Dave, following your discussion with armadillo, what is the primary diff/benefit in using your "native rendering" vs the html stuff? I just purchased lockinfo and must say it is AWESOME! Really like the option to make the Home screen too!

I am currently using armadillo's Aqwoah Lockinfo II (great work too!). It is very nice looking.

That being said, I am always looking for ways to speed things up, use less memory, be more stable etc.

So....long winded question...what's the real impact? Is it really noticeable? What can skinners do without going the html route? Just icons?

Sorry if this is all explained somewhere, just did not find a concise explanation.

Thanks for the very cool programs!
    kwickone I.T.H.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwickone View Post
    So Dave, following your discussion with armadillo, what is the primary diff/benefit in using your "native rendering" vs the html stuff? I just purchased lockinfo and must say it is AWESOME! Really like the option to make the Home screen too!

I am currently using armadillo's Aqwoah Lockinfo II (great work too!). It is very nice looking.

That being said, I am always looking for ways to speed things up, use less memory, be more stable etc.

So....long winded question...what's the real impact? Is it really noticeable? What can skinners do without going the html route? Just icons?

Sorry if this is all explained somewhere, just did not find a concise explanation.

Thanks for the very cool programs!
    Using native rendering (turning off the HTML themes) will definitely save memory and perform better. Web views are inherently slower and more memory intensive than native UIKit widgets. There's no exact formula for the savings you'll see but my anecdotal evidence showed my memory go from starting after respring at about 20-21MB with to 35MB when I starting implementing the native rendering. The scrolling is smoother and more precise. The updates are more reliable and quicker. In general, it performs much better.

That said, it's currently much more limited in what you can theme and how you can write plugins. Plugins need to be native (Objective-C) so fancy Javascript plugins don't work. The themeing is limited to some font tweaks and some image tweaks, but the general layout is fixed.

It's really a trade-off. That's why I didn't (and don't plan to) remove HTML theme support. There are too many people out there that like the totally custom look. That said, the HTML themes are basically complete UI rewrites of the core product and are not supported by me. If you have a rendering issue, you need to contact the developer that wrote the theme and hope that s/he is maintaining the theme (some have started to die off).

Thanks

Thanks for the info Dave!

I must admit, you can really change the look and feel by just changing the icons and the header bars. I tried your "sample theme" in the FAQ and it looks pretty good!

I will stick with that until I see what other's might do with HTML or native.

Thanks again.
    kwickone I.T.H.

Thanks

There's no exact formula for the savings you'll see but my anecdotal evidence showed my memory go from starting after respring at about 20-21MB with to 35MB when I starting implementing the native rendering.
    Wow, that's interesting. I just tried it myself. Here are my values:

--------------------------- Native Render -------------------------------------------- Aqwoah LockInfo II ---------

-

And this is the full Monty with 3 weather locations and scrolling 3 RSS feeds. So 2 MB is not ideal, but tolerable.

Additional question: Before I start looking at ways to improve native render skinning, I'd like to finish up the html version of my theme by adding Things/Todo sections. Is it possible to use your plugins to obtain the data via JS? This is currently the case for mail and calendar. Are the Todo variables exposed as well? How would I be able to access them?
    Come visit AlohaSoft

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Any one think of using the new cydget to do themeable lock screens with out winterboard?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

armadillo which sbsettings theme is that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thats the theme I have on my SBsettings. It's Aqwoah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Wow, that's interesting. I just tried it myself. Here are my values:

--------------------------- Native Render -------------------------------------------- Aqwoah LockInfo II ---------

-

And this is the full Monty with 3 weather locations and scrolling 3 RSS feeds. So 2 MB is not ideal, but tolerable.

Additional question: Before I start looking at ways to improve native render skinning, I'd like to finish up the html version of my theme by adding Things/Todo sections. Is it possible to use your plugins to obtain the data via JS? This is currently the case for mail and calendar. Are the Todo variables exposed as well? How would I be able to access them?
    Heh, you're obviously using a 3GS so all bets are off. No doubt you have the headroom for an HTML theme. The memory characteristics might be significantly different between the two devices. For us lowly people that haven't upgraded to a 3GS (), every megabyte counts.

The newest Todo Plugin with native rendering (on ModMyI today) does expose JSON data. So do the older Todo and Things plugins. I'll post the format later (baby just woke up).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeMod View Post
    I've looked for the answer, but can't find it here...I have tried Lockinfo and intelliscreen. Lockinfo looks SO much better, but what I miss from intelliscreen is the ability to tap on an email that pops up, and get quickview. Is this possible in Lockinfo? I may just be missing a setting or something...Thanks!
    +1 on this if possible. Not sure how Intelliscreen does it, but it is really cool
    kwickone I.T.H.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just noticed that there is native plugin for Clock drop down calendar! Very nice, I have been waiting for that... Just one thing. Is it possible to get week numbers to left side of the screen?

I'm not very good at this, but is it hard to make that calendar thing to work on LockInfo Matte UI -theme?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I downloaded the Twitter plugin this morning but it doesn't seem to be working. I entered my credentials, resprung the phone. Nothing is showing up.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yalelaw View Post
    I downloaded the Twitter plugin this morning but it doesn't seem to be working. I entered my credentials, resprung the phone. Nothing is showing up.
    Check your settings again?

I downloaded and it's working fine.

Really thinking about buying this app. I finally upgraded from the beta. Was on the fence about it. Nice app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is it because I'm running it under Gruppled? But I go through Winterboard to disable Gruppled and it still doesn't work. In fact, no Lockinfo exists after I do that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yalelaw View Post
    Is it because I'm running it under Gruppled? But I go through Winterboard to disable Gruppled and it still doesn't work. In fact, no Lockinfo exists after I do that.
    Make sure under your iPhone settings you see LockInfo. And when you look at those settings you see Enabled on Lockscreen, Home, or both.

NOTE: you don't need to see any LockInfo themes in Winterboard for LockInfo to show up. WB themes are optional interfaces for it.
    Last edited by kwickone; 11-13-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    kwickone I.T.H.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Going to purchase as well when the trial expires this app is truly helpful during a busy day. Also donated to the AlohaSoft repo. That Aqwoah theme is great it just needs to include the todo plugin. Hopefully someone will figure it out.