+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: smartRSS... a new RSS reader made by the iGuideTV team

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
This is a great application. Just tried it and loaded all my feeds and everything works. Not sure why some people claim to have problems getting their feeds to work.....
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default smart rss
    This is a great application. Just tried it and loaded all my feeds and everything works. Not sure why some people claim to have problems getting their feeds to work..... Thanks so much! I hated mobile RSS

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Great RSS app. Good to see mature and complete apps being released.

*looks for donate button*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Great App. A few bugs ...
    The new items number shown in parentheses does not match the new items. For an rss feed from Gizmodo, it shows (22), but there are no new items. I run refresh and it now shows (30) with no new items.

I am getting multiple copies of items in a feed list. There is no way to delete the extras.

Suggestion: I would like to have an "unread" indicator per item and per feed. (I do not care if an item is "new" or "today", only whether I have read it yet.) An item should change to "read" immediately upon reading it.
    The "unread" indicators should persist between starts of the app. I would also like a way to mark all items as "read".

Thanks again for the effort.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hmmm.... cannot get tis feed to work feed://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/International.xml
    any help?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoniakk View Post
    hmmm.... cannot get tis feed to work feed://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/International.xml
    any help?
    hey,
    try this- http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/...ernational.xml it should solve the problem and if it works press the thanks button.
    thanks

Edit: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/...ernational.xml worked for me too so try it.

hey,
    found a bug- while refreshing if i press cancel it takes to about screen and gets cancelled when i return back from about screen. hope it helps you.
    thanks
    Last edited by eternal; 03-14-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1.1.4 Winpwned ----> 2.0 Winpwned

Baseband- 04.05.04_G
    Bootloader- 3.9 (1.0.2 OOTB)
    Call In/Out - Yes/Yes
    SMS In/Out - Yes/Yes
    GPRS - Yes
    YouTube - Yes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    hey,
    try this- http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/...ernational.xml it should solve the problem and if it works press the thanks button.
    thanks

Edit: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/...ernational.xml worked for me too so try it.

hey,
    found a bug- while refreshing if i press cancel it takes to about screen and gets cancelled when i return back from about screen. hope it helps you.
    thanks
    Thanks for the help, but i had already entered http instead of feed as the it is the only way to enter the feed in smart rss. It just refuses to show any feeds and the number stays at zero!! Thanks anyway

Thanks

Thanks

hey,
    in the name enter the name as New York Times.
    thanks
    1.1.4 Winpwned ----> 2.0 Winpwned

Baseband- 04.05.04_G
    Bootloader- 3.9 (1.0.2 OOTB)
    Call In/Out - Yes/Yes
    SMS In/Out - Yes/Yes
    GPRS - Yes
    YouTube - Yes

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

how about adding in some more RSS feeds from the initial install like mobilerss does? the apple one is great... however, if there were more options for people, it would really come in handy!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Can anyone help me? I cant run this on my iphone, keep crashing, it's ver 1.1.4, i want to try out this rss, because mobile rss is always crashing on me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoniakk View Post
    Thanks for the help, but i had already entered http instead of feed as the it is the only way to enter the feed in smart rss. It just refuses to show any feeds and the number stays at zero!! Thanks anyway
    I found the same thing, but when I actually accessed the feed itself and it showed nothing, I refreshed from there, and, interestingly, BOTH feeds (I had added TUAW) were refreshed...

However, my issue is one of accessing the text of the feeds. Some work, some don't. Its like the app doesnt always recognise when I have touched the screen. Not sure if its me not generating enough of what makes the touchscreen work (not an issue in other apps) or if the app itself needs some tweaking in that direction.

I'm on 1.1.4 and have not had the crash to Springboard as mentioned by another 1.1.4 user.

iPhone? More like MyPhone timliora's Avatar
    Thanks

Does it automatically delete all feeds after a day or? How do you get rid of feeds even if you don't view them?
    Basement arcade. No I never grew up...thank goodness

Thanks

Yer, there is no way to delete read feeds. Also, one cannot tell where new feeds are coming into which feed.

MobileRSS is better at this, but mobileRSS has crash syndrome, wherby, everynow and then it will crash back to spring board, or completely freeze the iphone so that it needs resetting.

Reliability from SmartRSS, is very good. So far it has not crashed once on me. It is only on version 1.0. So suspect alot of improvements may be on its way. The transition effects, although annoying at times, is actually very pleasant in terms of eye candy, and keeping with the "iPhone" styled animations.

Here is a feature lit for possible improvements to this already excellent program.

-RSS unread counter in Springboard like Mobile RSS

-ability to set interval updating of RSS feeds automatically

-when viewing feeds, show which have been read, and not read

-fix picture caching so that it loads images and formats correctly, rather than having to go in and out of thread, for it to correct.

-ability to refresh only one feed at a time, especially when using costly edge.

-links inside the feeds do not work. One has to load the safari version before links work

-OPML compatibility so that one can import or export feeds back and forth to PC google reader.

Overall though, this program is excellent, as it is reliable, and does not crash.

MAzor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Beautiful app, I recommend using it with Netnewswire as far as getting your feeds, but you can only export from NNW in OPML so you'll need to enter them manually..... however it is the best RSS collector I have used.

I highly recommend the devs get this working with OPML to interact with NNW. If you can't use OPML and have to do this manually, this app will get left behind with the next mobilerss update.

OK, After looking around with it here is my main issue. The interface is BEAUTIFUL. It is a very good looking app. Most people that use RSS use an RSS hub on their computer. (a program such as netnewswire). We've discussed the need for OPML already (the export for most hubs) and why they need to be used since feeds can get very long, so we'll skip over that and get to the meat.

Using most RSS hubs I can simply get the feeds by clicking "copy feed url". What I would normally do with that next is paste it into an XML.config file or a text file and import it into an RSS reader.

Your RSS reader stores the feeds and their URL's as a .DAT file so I cannot even import the feeds using a text file, nor can I have the option to paste the feeds into ANY file in the substructure. What you'd call an "easy" interface has amounted into a large amount of manual work with absolutely no way to import feeds. No OPML, no drag and drop, no text file import.......nothing. Solid manual insertion, and there's nothing easy nor simple about it.

From the mobile/library folder we get this:

The .DAT files containing the feeds and information. Each .DAT file is a feed. Since the name of each .DAT file is a long and generated key, I cannot even insert a generic .DAT file for each feed I want to import.

The only people I'd ever suspect to come up with something so locked down is Apple themselves. This site and the others amongst us are a site full of modders. We are much more receptive to something we can work with. This app does not look like it was developed to be a free app, rather it looks like an app that was targeted towards the apple store.

So here's what I'd like to see, and I can promise you I speak for many as you have already seen in this thread.

(a)- Ability to import feeds using OPML.

(b)- Ability to import feeds using a text file. (as an option to OPML)

(c)- Ability to EXPORT feeds in the form of something other than .DAT (I'm not dying for this option, but it will come with the territory if you make either of the above options work).

(d)- As a side note, in the applications folder Resources is spelled Ressources. Even if intentional and not a typo, it can screw you up when searching the phone for your data.
    Last edited by one1; 03-15-2008 at 04:18 AM. Reason: .
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

first I've heard we were adding to Installer! I'll have it up today... Sorry for delay, I got no message!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone mfleigle's Avatar
    Thanks

I love the app, but after entering about 10 long urls (I stopped to refresh in between each feed) it gave me an error ( I cannot remember the exact message) but when it returned (it didnt crash) it had erased the ones previously entered. It wasnt the feed because i re-entered it first thing and it refreshed ok.

I wish you could implement some sort of rss search (Such as Google Reader which you can enter a simple URL like modmyi.com and it spits out the rss feed). Now if you could add that feature I believe that you could call it "SmartRSS"

Dont get me wrong I like the app!

iPhone? More like MyPhone b-ballstyle's Avatar
    Thanks

is anyone have other iphone rss site to add on smartrss

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It works flawlessly for me..By far the best quality app on installer thus far....

Great work!

Green Apple
    Thanks

All of my feeds show up, but when I click on some of the titles, the feed text does not show up on random feeds.... anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

The first time I entered all my feeds, and tryed to refresh, the application kept saying Loading Feeds with the status bar going left to right. And after a minute or so I would try to cancel and couldn't so I would have to hit the home button. Just out of curiousity I let it go for a few minutes and everything loaded. And following refreshes were much faster.

The verdict is in, this application ROCKS!
    I've been waiting for a better RSS reader and this looks like it is. With the MobileRSS I found that it would crash sometimes forcing me to manually reboot. Plus it was aesthetically boring and functionally basic. SmartRSS is a clean, aesthetically pleasing, and functionally superior RSS reader.

I would suggest it needs some tweaks but for a first version it is pretty good!
    Can't wait for upgrades!