Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Beta Soon] appDowner Lives!

Default [Beta Soon] appDowner Lives!
    Hey everybody, iPhone developer Alec Renolds here.
    Some of you may remember back quite a while ago, I created a topic around these parts showcasing an application called AppDowner. The idea was to create a BitTorrent application that would automatically install iPhone applications. You can check out the original topic [ame="http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=536660"]here[/ame].
    Well, things have changed since then. Life has, unfortunately, gotten in the way and due to unforeseen circumstances, I was forced to relocate and take care of some issues, forcing AppDowner to be put on hold indefinitely.

Over the last couple of months, though, I've returned back home and teamed up with local designer / "connection extraordinaire" Miles Lorry to recreate AppDowner. Firstly, AppDowner will be renamed appDowner (a big change, I know), and will be available for iPhone 3.0 users. The concept of appDowner has also changed slightly, from being a simple "smart" BitTorrent application to a full on App Store replacement. No longer will you have to remember and type in the URL to your torrent file, simply click the "Store" tab on appDowner, and you'll be brought to a beautiful interface designed by Miles (which isn't quite ready to be shown off yet, but he assures us that it will be very, very soon!) which will allow you to search and find the apps you're looking for.

There is no "approval" process to get your apps onto appDowner - simply submit them (information regarding this will be available prior to the beta), and your app will be available on the appDowner store within a week. Everything will be approved with the exception of illegal releases - i.e. releases that are not made free by their developers, and/or releases that are not allowed to be redistributed as dictated by a clause in their usage agreement. Everything else is fair game.

To tell us about what appDowner will have from the get-go, I'd like to invite Miles Lorry to say a few words.

Hey guys, it's Miles - Alec and I have worked real hard to make appDowner the greatest, easiest, and most beautiful application repository on the market. From first boot, you'll notice that appDowner will already have some of the greatest applications available, including works from Steven Troughton-Smith, including his amazing Stacks application, and the wonderfully designed Lights Off game. We're also proud to say we will be home to some exclusive NullRiver Inc. content, which you won't be able to find anywhere else. This is just the tip of the iceberg for what you'll find in appDowner... we've got some more, truly amazing partnerships that we'll be able to tell you guys in good time. Thanks!

So, I'd like to introduce, if I could, the new beautifully designed appDowner UI, by Miles Lorry.

A partial feature list can be found on our new ad, including...

• Built in “Store” Feature helps you find all the apps you’re looking for.
    • No review process! Your apps will be added to the store within just a week!
    • Runs on the BitTorrent Technology, allowing for reliable, “always on” downloads.
    • Beautiful UI.
    • Easily use appDowner as a BitTorrent client for non-app related downloads!
    • “Wifi Spoofing” allows for over-the-air downloads without your service provider knowing! (Not shown in screenshot.)

We're really, really excited about appDowner - we aren't quite ready to get into more specifics yet, but trust us, it will be worth the wait!

Thanks,
    Alec Renolds

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlecR For This Useful Post:

redwolf (06-25-2009)

Wouldnt this have to be a jailbroken app? If not, I'd like to sign up for the beta.

Yes, we expect appDowner to be available via Cydia/Icy. We are investigating other means.

Thanks

will this be able to download real torrents as well? legal torrents that is if so sign me up haha.
    Last edited by kwall; 06-25-2009 at 01:17 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Awesome, I would love to try this app

Green Apple
    Thanks
    sounds awesome i cant wait

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beva922's Avatar
    Thanks

im in for beta testing, pm me or whatever :P
    >>**Please thank me if I helped you...**<<

Ill Beta test for you too =)

Steven Troughton-Smith isn't too happy about this. He never authorized appDowner to use or distribute his apps - Twitter post

This is an issue Steven and I are dealing with privately. I assure you that this is a misunderstanding and Miles Lorry should be discussing this with him shortly.

Thanks for everybody's kind words! appDowner's got a huge amount of press in such a short amount of time, the miracle of the internet never ceases to amaze. I should have more complete announcements from you all soon!

so it wont work for a itouch 1.14 fw?

Thanks

i cant believe you are still on 1.1.4 kudos to you sir!

cant use a samba server on other firmware's
    or atleast i havent seen it done and i tryed the same way to install it on 1.1.4 on a 2.0 and it didnt work so i never updated
    Last edited by jesterod; 06-26-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks

ah but kudos nonetheless id love to spend a day on 1.1.4 again like a dual boot lol

Thanks

there isnt a dual boot i dont believe and it would be a pain to downgrade from 3.0 -> 1.1.4 if not impossible

Thanks

I remember the dual boot in this case but im not a fan of the irrepairable damage

only if you do it wrong and it i dont think you really have kill it that way dfu mode and restore

Thanks

Yeah you gotta downgrade iTunes.... eh not worth breaking my device cause i have a feeling this might affect dfu and even if it doesnt i dont have the money to buy a new iDevice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast