+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [RELEASE] Time Capsule- Backup Your iPhone

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by goku31640 You can SSH in and copy. Im on 1.1.4, and the directory is /private/var/mobile/Library/TimeCapsule and in that folder, is different folders corresponding to what you have
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goku31640 View Post
    You can SSH in and copy.

Im on 1.1.4, and the directory is
    /private/var/mobile/Library/TimeCapsule
    and in that folder, is different folders corresponding to what you have backed up ex. (Address book, installer,notes etc.) This is useful, say if you know you are going to do a restore, or a program messed up your sounds or something, but SSH still works, then just copy it over (I think). It did let me copy the backups to my computer, so I guess it could work that way.
    so then it just makes it easier since you find everything in one place?

Just wondering, peeinmypants, is that your focus?

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harryding View Post
    so then it just makes it easier since you find everything in one place?

Just wondering, peeinmypants, is that your focus?
    that wasn't my intention..
    my initial intention is mainly for the SMS function. Since we can store limited SMS, i thought we can backup and restore old SMS to view them.

so TimeCapsule was made with the intention of restoring old states, rather than backup and restore after you restore your program with iTunes. I think if you sync iPhone/iPod with iTunes, you preferences are automatically backup.. am I right? So you don't need TimeCapsule to do that.

as I develp the idea further, I think I can do much more about the SMS program, rather than just simple backup. Also the backing up mapscache and sharing them seems to be a good idea.

I dunno what other possibilities I can explore with the program yet. The latest version has Youtube video cache added.. i haven't play with it yet.. perhaps you can start storing videos that way

Please post your enquiries/comments/requests about
    TimeCapsule, moleskine, WildEyes!, Transit and
    MRTSchedule at my website databinge.com

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Working fine now on 1.1.4 for me. Great app. Would be sweet if it was possible to sync with pc in this fasion rather than iTunes restore method, iTunes dumps all previous info and files, while with this, you can select indiviual things to have restored, but if the phone crashes to point where restore needed, all the backups on the device becomes useless. Just an thought and idea.
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

Thanks

I think this is hugely useful, certainly for most restore / rebuild situations.
    Things that would be cool to add:
    Select All or multiple categories to backup at once
    Do a scheduled / automatic backup
    Backup the /Applications folder itself maybe (as a lot of apps store their data underneath their folder there as well I think)
    Great job mate ...

Developer
    Thanks

missed some messages....
    ok.. i'll look into stocks.app.. and see what are the backup files

check out http://databinge.com/blog/?p=54
    a proof of concept, restoring maps and bookmarks to browse, search maps offline.

if you want to make the maps of your location available, with the browse/search road functionality .. read the post and contact me directly for more information. I plan to release these maps on Installer, hopefully a few locations at the same time
    Last edited by peeInMyPantz; 03-11-2008 at 10:02 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there anyway i can backup to a new copy instead of overwriting the previous backup copy?? For example, whenever i try to backup my current sms , it just overwrite the previous backup copy.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mac_oasis View Post
    Is there anyway i can backup to a new copy instead of overwriting the previous backup copy?? For example, whenever i try to backup my current sms , it just overwrite the previous backup copy.
    the version that I am working on supports infinite number of backups
    refer to screenshots
    http://databinge.com/blog/?p=54

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh ok , will wait patiently for the next release. Kudos to you !!! Great app!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

As many of us would like to use this as a fall back back up utility, could you add the possibility to e-mail the backed up module.

Thanks for adding another great tool the the already extensive iPhone tools section :P

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emir S. View Post
    As many of us would like to use this as a fall back back up utility, could you add the possibility to e-mail the backed up module.

Thanks for adding another great tool the the already extensive iPhone tools section :P
    just to inform you that sending the backup to email is already under development. would want to compress the files first before sending as well

11. The Following User Says Thank You to peeInMyPantz For This Useful Post:

Emir S. (03-12-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peeInMyPantz View Post
    just to inform you that sending the backup to email is already under development. would want to compress the files first before sending as well
    That's great news.
    Thanks buddy

Thanks

To peeInMyPantz,

This app is nice for saving ones iphone data, which is important. However, there are a handful of desktop programs already in existence that allow you to do this. This is not to take anything away from your efforts though. It just seems frustrating that the entire back up process has always centered around just the "iphone’s data". So my question for you is this, can your program go past the “just data” threshold, and backup our 3rd party apps. I have yet to see any backup type programs for this particular 3rd party app backup.

(1) What is your view on the current ability to specifically be able to backup 3rd party apps?

(2) Do you know of any way to back up 3rd party apps?

thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneuser2008 View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but this person posted a youTube vid on how to back up your sources and apps. I didn't try backing up my apps, but I did try his sources back up method when I upgraded to 1.1.4. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it didn't work for me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2FP-X9nK6c"]YouTube - Backup Sources and Apps on the iPod Touch[/ame]
    15.4" 2.8GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Pwnage Unlocked 16GB iPhone (2.1)
    Apple Unlocked 16GB 3G iPhone (2.2)

Thanks

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneuser2008 View Post
    To peeInMyPantz,

This app is nice for saving ones iphone data, which is important. However, there are a handful of desktop programs already in existence that allow you to do this. This is not to take anything away from your efforts though. It just seems frustrating that the entire back up process has always centered around just the "iphone’s data". So my question for you is this, can your program go past the “just data” threshold, and backup our 3rd party apps. I have yet to see any backup type programs for this particular 3rd party app backup.

(1) What is your view on the current ability to specifically be able to backup 3rd party apps?

thanks
    yes it's probably possible to back up 3rd party apps..
    but TimeCapsule was not made with the intention of backing up stuff and restoring after an upgrade... I have also not added backing up folders, that's why mail and 3rd party apps are not supported yet.

TimeCapsule is made with the intention of restoring and viewing passed points. for example viewing passed SMS that is already removed from your SMS database because the quota was reached.

But I will continue to explore a better way.. since a lot of users requested backing up of 3rd party apps. Note that backing up to restore in a new upgraded firmware probably won't work well coz 3rd party apps might have compatibility issues with new firmware. maybe it's only good for restoring to the same firmware. but again, if you'll have to backup ~/Library/TimeCapsule manually, it really defeats the purpose. Perhaps I'll implement it if I find a way to make iTunes backup ~/Library/TimeCapsule or make a desktop progrm to do so. I have never done a desktop program before..

SMS syncing function added... not released yet as beta users are testing them. take a look at my site for screenshots

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weezyfbaby View Post
    SPAM and shameless promotion. One, this is shouldn't belong on a "windows mobile".com. Leave it to the established apple sites and communities. Why is your "news" the same as iclarified.com and other sources, but always a few hours behind theres. We're not just copying their news and just rephrasing it are we?
    LMAO @ this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    hey,
    u asswipe this not a copy of any post. i always make originals u looser. also the other link for blog is http://ilikemyiphone.com/. by the way who are you to teach me, u just have 10 posts and all filled with stupid question and nothin helpful. enjoy u idiot!!!!!!!
    thanks
    Very well said.... LOL!
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.

Green Apple
    Thanks

the app is very nice! but the new layout of 0.13b4 is not as nice as it was before.
    but, i don't like the point that it costs 12$ ....
    A*obe CS3 by ubik "teh CS3 iPhone theme":
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48371

My FW way:
    1.1.1 JB/unlocked ->1.1.3 JB/unlocked ->1.1.1 locked ->1.0.2 JB/unlocked ->1.1.1 JB/unlocked. ->1.1.2 JB/locked fxxcked up not booting ->
    1.1.1 JB/unlocked ->1.1.2 JB/unlocked ->update to 1.1.3 JB/unlocked ->1.1.3 JB/unlocked fxxcked up, spinning wheel of death ->
    restore 1.1.3-> 1.1.3 JB/unlocked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SiLeNtKiLLa View Post
    LMAO @ this kid.
    And your just another suck up, because he made the app. Have the courage to be blunt. I agree its a useful app, however I was referring to his website. I work with digital designs, a part of which is web design. I was critiquing his blog.

His self proclaim "best iPhone blog", and we're entitle to our opinion. It is apparently not the best approach at it. If someone came to me with this website at a job interview, I would show them my son's work, and he's 5. Especially when they have the nerve to label it the best iPhone blog. It is a sad attempt at competition with the many iPhone blogs there are.

His ilikemyiphone.com then forwards to http://windows-mobiles.com/. DNS issue maybe, or it was just a forward. His "best" iphone blog is at "http://windows-mobiles.com/". Talented developer, but horrible web designer and blogger.

Welcome to the harsh world, "kid". And those who suck up, will forever suck balls their entire life, or be the office coffee boy to pay the end of the month's phone bill.

Thanks

And your just another suck up, because he made the app. Have the courage to be blunt. I agree its a useful app, however I was referring to his website. I work with digital designs, a part of which is web design. I was critiquing his blog.

His self proclaim "best iPhone blog", and we're entitle to our opinion. It is apparently not the best approach at it. If someone came to me with this website at a job interview, I would show them my son's work, and he's 5. Especially when they have the nerve to label it the best iPhone blog. It is a sad attempt at competition with the many iPhone blogs there are.

His ilikemyiphone.com then forwards to http://windows-mobiles.com/. DNS issue maybe, or it was just a forward. His "best" iphone blog is at "http://windows-mobiles.com/". Talented developer, but horrible web designer and blogger.

Welcome to the harsh world, "kid". And those who suck up, will forever suck balls their entire life, or be the office coffee boy to pay the end of the month's phone bill.

What exactly are you on about?
    Is it the URL of his webpage, the content, design....?

And what do any of them have to do with whats important here....3rd party apps and their devs?

I feel sorry for your kid. What an irritant and unstable father he has to grow up with.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

LMAO again @ this kid.... get ur d1ck out your hand and put either an iPhone or PC in front of you and develop sumthin better than just jumpin on a forum and try to shyt on something someone else put time and effort into. As far as an office coffee boy, lmao.... if only you knew. Stay focused on making your money, I'll maintain my focus on money making more money for me.