+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SummerBoard 2.1 installs icons!

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I tell ya what I love iSwitcher, for some one that just got the phone a few days ago its let me mod the snot out of the phone and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tell ya what I love iSwitcher, for some one that just got the phone a few days ago its let me mod the snot out of the phone and not be afraid to do it. I was miffed when the new summerboard came out but you fixed it in short oder and Im back to my theme...and making new ones for it. (and yes I'll share once I get them done..because everyone needs a pac man and dig dug theme. ) My only wish was that I could turn off the icon text on the fly.

So, good show sir *claps* I will keep using iSwitcher because well it works without a flaw, like a great program should.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jack777 View Post
    I can't use summerboard2.0 & DockSwap together when U Install Summerboard2.0 U can't change Dock with DockSwap is this a bug?
    No, DockSwap changes the "SpringBoard" dock and with the new SummerBoard, it has it's own Dock which IS NOT the same as the SpringBoard one.

<fish slap!> WTF am I doing... suddenly I'm the tech support for this flippin' app!

Quote Originally Posted by pork View Post
    I know how to install via iBrickr with it going to the pxl site, but how do i install the new 1.0 (and delete 0.91). iBrickr wants to find a .pxl file but there is none. I would rather install the one that puts it in installer.app <-noob hehe
    If you are using iBrickr there's no need to remove v0.91. Just download v1.0 and you should end up with a .zip fie. Remove the .zip and you will have a .pxl file. Double click to launch with iBrickr
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 09-14-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    White 3G

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberGreg For This Useful Post:

pork (09-14-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi CyberGreg, For some odd reason Breezy doesn't work on my Mac. I want to install your programs but have to do it the hard way. Your sig suggests replacing a .plist file on the iPhone with the downloaded text from your site. What .plist needs to be modified, or if none, what is the name of the .plist that I am to create to see your app source list in installer.app. Thanks. D

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

y is this still not in installer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pingwhen View Post
    y is this still not in installer
    Because it's not at the level of the other apps on there (hmm yeah like ToDo is a rock solid app ) and now that I have my own Installer source I'm really not sure I want someone else to host "my" apps.

So you either load my Installer source or you can load my apps from the Google page using the pxl package which runs on either a Mac or a Windows PC. I'm thinking I've done enough.
    White 3G

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown0690 View Post
    Hi CyberGreg, For some odd reason Breezy doesn't work on my Mac. I want to install your programs but have to do it the hard way. Your sig suggests replacing a .plist file on the iPhone with the downloaded text from your site. What .plist needs to be modified, or if none, what is the name of the .plist that I am to create to see your app source list in installer.app. Thanks. D
    Okay, manual install method is the same as HighTymes has in his signature.

Download the file I have attached. Remove the .txt extension. You will end up with a file named PackageSources.plist. You need to copy this to:
    /var/root/Library/Installer
    You are going to be REPLACING your current version so if you want, make a BACKUP copy first.

The next time you load Installer you will see the packages available from my site.
    Download Link

Edit: Sorry, I switched the link to the google site to track the downloads. The zip file has a ReadMe.txt file, please um... read it
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 09-14-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    White 3G

Thanks

I still dont see the new summerboard im so lost
    Last edited by pingwhen; 09-15-2007 at 07:46 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    I'm thinking I've done enough.
    Installer has become the gold standard, and you are greatly limiting your app's exposure.

Thanks

ya and adding sources just messes up slot of stuff like organization. And multiples of the same program

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iAmLegend View Post
    Installer has become the gold standard, and you are greatly limiting your app's exposure.
    And if I did this for money I would care... those that really want it have found numerous ways to get it installed.

Stats so far:
    Downloads from Google for version 0.87, 0.9x and version 1.0 now exceed 560
    Downloads of my Installer app source now exceed 390

If I had 10 people using my app and appreciated the hard work that went into it, that would be satisfaction enough. Oh wait, just read through the comments on this thread, I do

In addition, I have a couple of items on my Installer source that simply are not available anywhere else (besides iLauncher and iSwitcher), with more to come
    Edit: one of those iUtilities has been installed 10 times, just 20 minutes after I added to my Installer app source (one that is not available on any of the other sources

ya and adding sources just messes up slot of stuff like organization. And multiples of the same program
    There are no duplicates on my sources, perhaps you have additional sources installed for your Installer app.

And how does it 'mess-up' the organization? I use the standard Installer app ones, unless it should be in a new category, like iSwitcher Themes.

I still dont see the new summerboard im so lost
    It would seem so... this thread was poking fun at the fact the "we" as end users of SummerBoard haven't a clue as to what's in store for the next version. 2.1 could have some awesome features or "they" (the developers) could just stop working on it.
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 09-15-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    White 3G

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Okay, manual install method is the same as HighTymes has in his signature.

Download the file I have attached. Remove the .txt extension. You will end up with a file named PackageSources.plist. You need to copy this to:
    /var/root/Library/Installer
    You are going to be REPLACING your current version so if you want, make a BACKUP copy first.

The next time you load Installer you will see the packages available from my site.
    Download Link

Edit: Sorry, I switched the link to the google site to track the downloads. The zip file has a ReadMe.txt file, please um... read it

If he does it the same way as adding my plist then it is going to override mine and add just yours because you don't have my source in your plist is there a chance you can add me in your plist? Or maybe we can just have one master copy between all the trusted sourcers here, would be better for everyone. So far my plist has been downloaded 1377 times, and since my plist has yours in it, lots of people benifited from it because now they get yours too. Just a thought.

Thanks

or it should...

with the natural development, now that it has themes, icons are the nxt step....

so.. where does that leave iSwitcher? I'm fine if SummerBoard meets my needs to swap icons then most likely iSwitcher will go the way of iDecor
    Damn, you were spot on CyberGreg.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    Damn, you were spot on CyberGreg.
    yup... iSwitcher... R.I.P......
    White 3G

Thanks

iSwitcher's UI is still great - if Summerboard used the filesystem to switch themes eventually (Summerboard/ActiveTheme?) with links to the originals, then iSwitcher could work with that.

BTW, I see 2.1 really is out...

Awesome new prefs option - turn Theme Dock/Wallpaper/Status Bar/Icons on and off.

Five Icon Dock option added.
    Last edited by NetMage; 09-15-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You guys asked for it, so here's the official deal... I am the SummerBoard dev, here to answer your questions.

- Indeed, SummerBoard 2.1 supports full themes including icons. More about this below.
    - A page for SummerBoard and the new AppTapp will be up soon!
    - SummerBoard is free and will remain free.
    - We're excited to see what themes you guys can come up with!

Now, more about the theme support. First off, icons, as thats the biggie here it seems. SummerBoard supports icon themes in the "proper" way. That is, SummerBoard, unlike other previous solutions, *does not* overwrite original application icons. Instead, the icons are replaced on the fly. That means that when you update an application, you will not lose your custom icons! What it also means is that its very easy to create icon themes, as you just dump all your icons in the Icons folder of the theme and name them as the app. There is one special icon name, that is "Generic.png", it can be used to override all *unthemed* icons, if your theme really needs this to complete its look. Do not use this if you do not need it, as your theme's users may not like it.

Now, onto the format of a theme. Here's the directory structure in /var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/

You have a folder per theme in there, with the following structure:

ThemeName/StatusBar.png << Status bar image (optional, 320x20 PNG, no alpha)
    ThemeName/Wallpaper.png << The wallpaper (320x480 PNG, no alpha)
    ThemeName/Dock.png << The dock image for the large dock (320x91 PNG, alpha allowed)
    ThemeName/MiniDock.png << The dock image for the mini dock (320x37 PNG, alpha allowed)

Then your icons (optional, 59x60 PNG, alpha allowed) go in:

ThemeName/Icons/

Name them as such:

Phone.png
    Text.png
    iPod.png
    NES.png
    etc...

Also, take note that SummerBoard has various appearance settings in its Advanced section of SMBPrefs -- you can use them to your advantage -- for example, try out "Solid StatusBar" -- you'll see what I mean.

Any questions, post here or e-mail iphone [a-t] nullriver.com

Cheers,

lg

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lupinglade For This Useful Post:

xphilezz (09-16-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lupinglade View Post
    You guys asked for it, so here's the official deal... I am the SummerBoard dev, here to answer your questions.

- Indeed, SummerBoard 2.1 supports full themes including icons. More about this below.
    - A page for SummerBoard and the new AppTapp will be up soon!
    - SummerBoard is free and will remain free.
    - We're excited to see what themes you guys can come up with!

Now, more about the theme support. First off, icons, as thats the biggie here it seems. SummerBoard supports icon themes in the "proper" way. That is, SummerBoard, unlike other previous solutions, *does not* overwrite original application icons. Instead, the icons are replaced on the fly. That means that when you update an application, you will not lose your custom icons! What it also means is that its very easy to create icon themes, as you just dump all your icons in the Icons folder of the theme and name them as the app. There is one special icon name, that is "Generic.png", it can be used to override all *unthemed* icons, if your theme really needs this to complete its look. Do not use this if you do not need it, as your theme's users may not like it.

Now, onto the format of a theme. Here's the directory structure in /var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/

You have a folder per theme in there, with the following structure:

ThemeName/StatusBar.png << Status bar image (optional, 320x20 PNG, no alpha)
    ThemeName/Wallpaper.png << The wallpaper (320x480 PNG, no alpha)
    ThemeName/Dock.png << The dock image for the large dock (320x91 PNG, alpha allowed)
    ThemeName/MiniDock.png << The dock image for the mini dock (320x37 PNG, alpha allowed)

ThemeName/Icons/

Name them as such:

Phone.png
    Text.png
    iPod.png
    NES.png
    etc...

Also, take note that SummerBoard has various appearance settings in its Advanced section of SMBPrefs -- you can use them to your advantage -- for example, try out "Solid StatusBar" -- you'll see what I mean.

Any questions, post here or e-mail iphone [a-t] nullriver.com

Cheers,

lg
    Okay let me be the first to say THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU!!!!!!!!
    White 3G

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    PS. If someone is up for making a theme editor, go for it

My iPhone is a Part of Me LoringStudios's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lupinglade View Post

ThemeName/Icons/

Name them as such:

Phone.png
    Text.png
    iPod.png
    NES.png
    etc...

lg

OK,.. So what do we name the aftermarket app Icons.. ? I am a little confused on this one...
    Do we name the icons with the applicationfoldername.png? And it will know where to put them?
    Last edited by LoringStudios; 09-15-2007 at 07:52 PM.
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.
    Graphic Design | Vehicle Wraps | Website Design | Large Format Printing

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoringStudios View Post
    OK,.. So what do we name the aftermarket app Icons.. ? I am a little confused on this one...
    Do we name the icons with the applicationfoldername.png? And it will know where to put them?
    This is the question I am looking for an answer to as well....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've put up a temporary page for SummerBoard:

http://www.apptapp.com/summerboard/

It will have more information soon.

Yep, name them by the name you see in SummerBoard/SpringBoard... ie.

Calculator.png or NES.png or Chat.png...
    Last edited by lupinglade; 09-15-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost