+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Release: Abaia (chess program)

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hi all, I've just released a beta version of Abaia , the strongest chess program for the iPhone so far. This is still just a beta: It is not quite
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Release: Abaia (chess program)
    Hi all,

I've just released a beta version of Abaia, the strongest chess program for the iPhone so far. This is still just a beta: It is not quite feature-complete, and has a few rough edges. There is still no handicap mode, the program always plays at maximum strength.

Installation instructions and the URL to the Cydia repository can be found at the link above. An App Store version will be released under the name "Glaurung" in a few weeks.

Tord

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tord For This Useful Post:

kaplar (02-26-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile Wow!
    Consider me completely stunned.

First, there should be a thousand people here thanking you. What you've done is utterly impressive.

I have Chess Genius and it plays a pretty good game. But Abaia is a better program in nearly every way. First, the chess set looks better. Second, this program is stronger and much more aggressive. Third, Abaia seems to adhere better to Apple's UI standards. And, fourth, it's FREE. Wow.

I haven't seen a single rough edge yet.

I pitted my jailbroken iPod touch 2G running Abaia against my wife's non-jb touch 2G running Genius. Genius did manage to win one of three games, but only after having been outplayed as White until Abaia made one mistake in the late middlegame. The other two games were all Abaia. And watching the relative evaluations was enlightening: Abaia's was nearly always far more "aggressive" in that it showed the potential of a brewing attack far more.

The first game between them was truly amazing in that Abaia sacrificed a pawn on the queenside for a very long-term kingside attack, even after the queens had been exchanged. The attack was pursued steadily and patiently for seemingly dozens of moves before it paid off. Simply incredible for a program playing on a handheld against the previous king of the hill -- and both programs were set on their 3-second-per-move level!

I saved the game score; if I knew how to get it to my PC I'd enter it here. It's really something.

So, ultra-kudos and mega-thanks to you!

EDIT: Here's the score of the first game vs. Chess Genius, both on (separate) iPod touch 2G units, 3 seconds-per-move level:

[Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "Feb 23, 2009"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Abaia iPod 3 sec"]
    [Black "Genius iPod 3 sec"]
    [Result "1-0"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nf3 Nxe4 5. d4 d5 6. Bd3 Nc6 7. O-O Be7 8. Re1 Bf5 9. c4 Nb4 10. Bf1 O-O 11. a3 Nc6 12. cxd5 Qxd5 13. Nc3 Nxc3 14. bxc3 Bg4 15. Rb1 b6 16. Rb5 Bxf3 17. Rxd5 Bxd1 18. Rxd1 Bd6 19. Bb5 Na5 20. a4 Rfd8 21. Rh5 g6 22. Rh3 c6 23. Bd3 Re8 24. Bg5 Re6 25. Re3 Rxe3 26. fxe3 f5 27. e4 fxe4 28. Bxe4 Re8 29. Bd3 Kg7 30. Rf1 c5 31. Bf6+ Kg8 32. Bg5 Kg7 33. h3 c4 34. Bc2 Re2 35. Bd1 Ra2 36. Bg4 h6 37. Bf6+ Kh7 38. Be7 Bg3 39. Rf7+ Kh8 40. Be6 Ra1+ 41. Rf1 Bh2+ 42. Kf2 Rxa4 43. g3 Kg7 44. Bd6 g5 45. Ke3 Kh7 46. d5 h5 47. Bf5+ Kg8 48. Be6+ Kh7 49. Rf7+ Kg6 50. Be5 Bg1+ 51. Ke4 Ra2 52. Rf6+ Kh7 53. Kf5 Rf2+ 54. Kxg5 Rxf6 55. Kxf6 Be3 56. Kf7 Nb7 57. Bf5+ Kh6 58. h4 Nd8+ 59. Kg8 Ne6 60. dxe6 Bc5 61. Bf4#
    1-0
    Last edited by ardee00; 02-23-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Typo fixed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Tord,

I can't thank you enough for this wonderful release! This is by far the strongest engine out there. I tested it on an iPhone 3G with firmware 2.1, and it crashed couple of times, but this does not take a bit away from its beauty!

Thank you so much!

Mihailo.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi. Not sure if you're collecting data for future development. I ran into this big problem:

I played several games successfully. After the seventh game, I decided to quit ( having lost 0-7!). I hit the home button when the announcement that black had won was still showing. I thought that this might be a mistake but thought little of it. When I started it up again to have another go at it, it crashed back to the homescreen without ever starting up. I uninstalled it, rebooted, reinstalled , and I get the same results wheever I try to start it up. It's like I'm permanently stuck with an automatically crashing program

I'm an iPhone 3g running fw 2.2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prestidigitator View Post
    Hi. Not sure if you're collecting data for future development.
    Of course I am -- thanks a lot for reporting this problem!

I ran into this big problem:

I played several games successfully. After the seventh game, I decided to quit ( having lost 0-7!). I hit the home button when the announcement that black had won was still showing. I thought that this might be a mistake but thought little of it.
    Shouldn't matter, you made no mistake. The program should be able to handle this, of course.

When I started it up again to have another go at it, it crashed back to the homescreen without ever starting up. I uninstalled it, rebooted, reinstalled , and I get the same results wheever I try to start it up. It's like I'm permanently stuck with an automatically crashing program
    If you can't start the program, even after multiple attempts, the only explanation I can see is that the preferences file has somehow gotten corrupted. If you delete it, the program should work again. If it is not too much of a problem, I would appreciate if you could e-mail me the preferences file before you delete it, in order to help me find out exactly what went wrong.

The preferences file is named com.glaurungchess.abaia.plist, and is found in the directory /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ on your iPhone.

Best wishes,
    Tord

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tord For This Useful Post:

prestidigitator (02-27-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Tord:

Yes! It worked! I also kept the file for your review. But, I don't know how I'm supposed to obtain your e-mail in order to send it to you. Let me know what to do next.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prestidigitator View Post
    Tord:

Yes! It worked! I also kept the file for your review.
    Great!

But, I don't know how I'm supposed to obtain your e-mail in order to send it to you. Let me know what to do next.
    You'll find my e-mail by pressing the "Options" button, scrolling to the bottom of the menu, and choosing "About/Help".

Tord

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Version 1.0.1 is now available, and upgrading is strongly recommended. Several important bugs are fixed, and the program is much more stable and reliable than the 1.0 version.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tord For This Useful Post:

ardee00 (03-02-2009), prestidigitator (03-02-2009)