+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhoneLocator - First Facebook Application

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
my location is showing up now, it took like 45 mins for the first location to show up, now it updates every 15 mins or so.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Jonny202003's Avatar
    Thanks

my location is showing up now, it took like 45 mins for the first location to show up, now it updates every 15 mins or so.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

mine has not updated since 11:15 this morning CDT, not sure why, hopefully the update later tonight will fix it
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

Green Apple
    Thanks

i'm on 1.1.3. i see no app on my home screen and i kno the app is installed cause i see it on installer under uninstalled and i dont see anything in facebook.. anyone know?

Green Apple
    Thanks

He said it runs in the background. Theres no icon or anything for it yet. I'm hoping in the future theres a simple settings gui for it and maybe a 'send location now' type of option!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wait, where do we enter our facebook credentials? i followed the steps, installed it without a hitch, installed the app on facebook, but nothing has changed on the app's page on facebook.

My question is, how would it? without entering any of the credentials on either my phone or facebook, how would it know where to update to?

thanks...

EDIT: Ohhh, i get it, it's in the URL of the repo. hm.. still hasn't updated though, 15 mins later...

EDIT #2: 30 Mins later, it works!
    Last edited by yesjoshyes; 03-04-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

whoa... kinda creepy... yet cool. trying it out now... haha
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yesjoshyes View Post
    wait, where do we enter our facebook credentials? i followed the steps, installed it without a hitch, installed the app on facebook, but nothing has changed on the app's page on facebook.

My question is, how would it? without entering any of the credentials on either my phone or facebook, how would it know where to update to?

thanks...

EDIT: Ohhh, i get it, it's in the URL of the repo. hm.. still hasn't updated though, 15 mins later...

EDIT #2: 30 Mins later, it works!
    I tried to do as minimal setup as possible I came up with. None.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

great app. worked for me. but definitely, there has to be a phone side way of turning this off that doesn't involve uninstalling

Thanks

i posted this on facebook too... but a privacy setting where only your friends can view your location would be excellent.

as far as it working, i'm still waiting for it to see my iphone (it's been about half an hour or so). as soon as it does, i'll post my results.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

shows me in SanFran near Fulton and Masinonic. Im in Denver. Does this mean someones phone other than mine is updating my facebook?

strange

Thanks

wow, pretty accurate for me... in fact, VERY accurate

Thanks

Very accurate for me too. Does it send the coordinates to Facebook via WiFi? What if I'm out and about with no Wi-Fi (and have Edge turned off)?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

cool

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

does it work with 1.1.4?
    I try to install it on my iphone by adding the source and reboot my phone, but in facebook I can't see where I am.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Seems nobody reads the front page of the application, because I keep getting the same questions.

"PLEASE READ!

Well since I finally made this application public, there's well over 100 users in the system, that's a lot faster than I had planned for it to grow. Unfortunately there are still bugs in the system. They're not on the facebook side, but more of the iPhone side. The problem is that the iPhone goes into sleep mode after a while, and it can't be woken out of sleep mode with no power plugged in. I don't know of a current way to solve this. One promising application would be Insomnia http://code.google.com/p/iphone-insomnia/. It keeps your iPhone awake even when the screen is off. Is this detrimental to battery life? Try it and find out."

Sleep screws with the app, I can't fix that. I'm sorry, hopefully we'll come across something that will.

For the time being, I've updated with some more features for those of us that do have it working.

Updated
    - Friends Only Mode : Allows you to only let your friends see your location on the map.
    - Location Method : Select Wifi mode or Tower mode. If you find yourself not being able to update with wifi mode because of a lack of nodes around you, switch to Tower mode. Uninstall, refresh source, reinstall.
    - Canvas Zoom & Profile Zoom : You can select the zoom level for each map now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi dan, great application but unfortunately i am based in Asia and it doesn't seem to work no matter how I try.

As for insomia, i am pretty sure that it WILL consume battery since its still awake and working behind the 'sleep mode'.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default required packages
    If you installed Cydia packager on your device, iPhoneLocator won't work until you install the "cURL" package. This is because Cydia reinstalls the BSD subsystem, leaving out some of the programs that other applications need in order to run; cURL is one of these programs. Reinstall it from the packager at Install > Networking > cURL then reboot your iPhone to restart the locator.
    Last edited by drowlflood; 03-05-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drowlflood View Post
    If you installed Cydia packager on your device, iPhoneLocator won't work until you install the "cURL" package. This is because Cydia reinstalls the BSD subsystem, leaving out some of the programs that other applications need in order to run; cURL is one of these programs. Reinstall it from the packager at Install > Networking > cURL then reboot your iPhone to restart the locator.
    oh snap. Thank you. I was wondering if Cydia was interfering with this. I'll try this out right now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

not working now, I unistalled, rebooted, changed to google option cell towers, reinstalled, rebooted, shows update only from yesterday at 1115 still

Maybe I am missing something or there is a newer version on a diff repository anyone out there that can help

Thanks ALL

nevermind works great and more accurate now
    Can you take away the log it shows on Facebook please

thanks
    Last edited by dallasnights; 03-05-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamse7en's Avatar
    Thanks

So if it's in Tower mode, and my phone has WiFi on at home, does that make it NOT send my location to Facebook? There should be a collaborative mode, because I use WiFi at home, and Edge everywhere else. Thank you.