+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Slingbox update

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I was on the phone today getting some help configuring my slingbox and asked about the iphone app. I was told that it will out soon and that their will
    iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Slingbox update
    I was on the phone today getting some help configuring my slingbox and asked about the iphone app. I was told that it will out soon and that their will be a 30 day free trial. Once the 30 days are up the license for the app will cost $29.99.
    Just an FYI

Green Apple
    Thanks

hmm how are they going to allow a 30 day free trial when the app store I believe oes not have thia capability?

Could it be that apple refused it and they have to go teh jailbreak route?
    I mean approving slingbox will go against their internet tv show/ movie business.

As much as i would love it-I have a feeling apple will not approve it because of the reason I just mentioned. What do you guys think?

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

The guy I talked with did not say anything about JB. My guess is that when you install the app it gives you the license and then after 30days it expires and will remember the iphone by Serial Number???

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamse7en's Avatar
    Thanks

My guess is that this guy has no idea.

This is like asking a retail Apple employee what the next new product Steve Jobs will unveil.

At Macworld, Sling specifically said they have not decided on a price yet. I doubt it will be $30, and a trial period is not allowed by the App Store.

You should call up your Sling friend and tell him/her not to spread rumors.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamse7en View Post
    My guess is that this guy has no idea.

This is like asking a retail Apple employee what the next new product Steve Jobs will unveil.

At Macworld, Sling specifically said they have not decided on a price yet. I doubt it will be $30, and a trial period is not allowed by the App Store.

You should call up your Sling friend and tell him/her not to spread rumors.
    Why would they price the iPhone version of the software any different than the other mobile versions? Only way I can see Apple even rejecting this is if you have to purchase the license outside of iTunes. Chances are the will release the 30 day free and the regular version, and it will log the SN on their website.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    Why would they price the iPhone version of the software any different than the other mobile versions? Only way I can see Apple even rejecting this is if you have to purchase the license outside of iTunes. Chances are the will release the 30 day free and the regular version, and it will log the SN on their website.
    Many companies have already charged their programs differently (lower) in the App Store, from the other mobile platforms. It's because of the competitive pricing that's already in the store.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Many companies have already charged their programs differently (lower) in the App Store, from the other mobile platforms. It's because of the competitive pricing that's already in the store.
    No one is going to compete with Sling. The functionality it provides to the market is light years beyond anything that is out there and readily available.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    No one is going to compete with Sling. The functionality it provides to the market is light years beyond anything that is out there and readily available.
    Ha, well, you'll be saying "Your right" when you see they release SlingPlayer into the App Store and it isn't $30.

Many companies that have a "market advantage" (a product that has no competitors) still make their app cheaper in the App Store. I don't know how MUCH cheaper it will be, but I guarantee it will be below their standard price for the other platforms.

End of discussion - go take some economics classes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ha, well, you'll be saying "Your right" when you see they release SlingPlayer into the App Store and it isn't $30.

Many companies that have a "market advantage" (a product that has no competitors) still make their app cheaper in the App Store. I don't know how MUCH cheaper it will be, but I guarantee it will be below their standard price for the other platforms.

End of discussion - go take some economics classes.
    I never said it wouldn't be, but they really don't have an incentive to go below $30. Their hardware isn't cheap, so I quite honestly doubt that people would care about spending $30. I do think it'll be more around $20 though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

honestly i believe you are all a little misguided. ive been a sling mobile user for about 2 years already.(my first phone with it was the t-mobile mda) the app itself will probably be free being as all of their software is free to download. the only time u pay $29.99 is for the service to stream to a phone. this is not the same as paying $30 for a onetime app. i have had about 13 different phones since i originally purchased my mobile sling password and everytime i change all they ask is that u register your new phone. this is so one passkey cannot be used on multiple phones for one price.(i have tried) they offer 30 day trials for one phone each. if u have a slingbox or have ever seen one you know this feature is well worth $50 bucks so all of this arguing is pointless.

i have been patiently waiting and was told that apple is still reviewing it and that the $30 i paid 2 years ago would be fine. if u think #0 is too expesive you probably dont own a slingbox anyway. be serious all of your channels anywhere u have signal. i was in aruba setting my dvr to record shows in new jersey that is well worth the money and i feel it could be a lot more and i would still pay. its a onetime fee, while people pay monthly subscriptions for satellite radio to hear the same songs that are on the radio for free hahahahahahah

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rstuvwxyz View Post
    honestly i believe you are all a little misguided. ive been a sling mobile user for about 2 years already.(my first phone with it was the t-mobile mda) the app itself will probably be free being as all of their software is free to download. the only time u pay $29.99 is for the service to stream to a phone. this is not the same as paying $30 for a onetime app. i have had about 13 different phones since i originally purchased my mobile sling password and everytime i change all they ask is that u register your new phone. this is so one passkey cannot be used on multiple phones for one price.(i have tried) they offer 30 day trials for one phone each. if u have a slingbox or have ever seen one you know this feature is well worth $50 bucks so all of this arguing is pointless.

i have been patiently waiting and was told that apple is still reviewing it and that the $30 i paid 2 years ago would be fine. if u think #0 is too expesive you probably dont own a slingbox anyway. be serious all of your channels anywhere u have signal. i was in aruba setting my dvr to record shows in new jersey that is well worth the money and i feel it could be a lot more and i would still pay. its a onetime fee, while people pay monthly subscriptions for satellite radio to hear the same songs that are on the radio for free hahahahahahah
    You pay the $29.99 for the software for your device - and that's what we're talking about. They're not going to provide a free application on the iPhone while they make Palm, WinMo, Blackberry & Symbian users pay the $29.99. You're not paying for a service to stream to your phone - you're not utilizing anything from Sling network wise, only the set top box and the software on your phone or desktop.

Thanks

Looks like I was wrong.

Appleinsider is saying the app will be $30. WOW. Don't think that's a very smart choice - how long will it be before they bring down the price?

Also, WiFi only? I'm not too bummed about that, because I know there will be a modification on cydia to enable it for use on 3G. However, with $30 and no WiFi, I can see some outrage coming.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default mod for 3G?
    Looks like I was wrong.

Appleinsider is saying the app will be $30. WOW. Don't think that's a very smart choice - how long will it be before they bring down the price?

Also, WiFi only? I'm not too bummed about that, because I know there will be a modification on cydia to enable it for use on 3G. However, with $30 and no WiFi, I can see some outrage coming.
    That will be awesome if true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    That will be awesome if true.
    Well believe it. I can confirm that this works, and it works flawlessly over 3G!

how to get it to work on 3g

1.download Voipover3G from cydia

2.ssh into your phone and locate Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/VoIPover3G.plist

3.replace the plist with this one voipover3G slingplayer plist

4.respring and make sure if u have intelliscreen to turn power boost off

5.if it doesnt work right away try rebooting instead of respringing and turning power boost on in intelliscreen if you have it

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamse7en For This Useful Post:

eballesq (05-13-2009), elsgk2 (05-13-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

iamse7en, you rock! I'll do this later this a.m.

Update -- success!! This is now officially the best App around.
    Last edited by eballesq; 05-13-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: update

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

wish this would work in 3.0 beta, so far it does not

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks iamse7en gonna try this out with my friend's phone
    *T*Mo**

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default you
    Can also download tricker3G and that will take care of the 3G slinging....I did it the ssh way with voip....but tricker3G works as well