+ Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia - its pretty cool

is a discussion within the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
got same errors. but i think in the future there will be great apps...and the lame ones on installer
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    got same errors. but i think in the future there will be great apps...and the lame ones on installer

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nettwerk View Post
    rm -rf /Applications/Cydia.app
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyBeagle View Post
    So i tried out cydia from installer and now i cannot uninstall it can someone tell me how i can successfully uninstall cydia.
    Read first quote.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparblaze For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (04-23-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i like it, it has potential, but not perfect, half the stuff i dont even know what it is. very confusing to any normal joes. I would hope 1 day there will be the perfect "installer" but i would like to see the advances in this program. if it could check ever 6 hours for new progrmas, or allow me to select what folders i want to even see, theres so much that installer needs, and this 2. so who ever does them first i go their vote.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree with pingwhen; to much stuff for average user... maybe have a developer/programer option and a regular-user-looking-for-themes-and-games mode?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    While that's a good idea. (developer/programmer mode option) it would get confusing for the people who would have to decide where each app falls.

A potentially easier solution would be to be able to have a mode where you could choose which repository to look through.

I see Installer going down as "The first application installer for the iPhone, which was eventually replaced by Cydia"

Thanks

Well, installed it, gave it a shot. Well, something happened: I got it running once, it crashed while refreshing, now I can't get it to load. I tried uninstalling it, but I only have the option to reinstall, so I tried that, no difference. So, anyone know how to fix or manually remove it?

Edit: Sorry, missed the first post, but do you guys think if I deleted it, then reinstalled it it would start up? I won't be able to get to my PC until morning. Also, Cydia is <11MBs in Installer, whats that about?
    Last edited by Dylan; 03-04-2008 at 10:48 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yea...same thing happend to mine..
    it crashed while refreshing now it just open, 3s later it closes..:S

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've got exactly the same problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yep crashes for me as well. Shame because I really wanted to check it out.

Thanks

Ok, this is what I've learned thus far:

If you want to remove it you should reinstall "BSD Subsystem" (under the "Uninstall" tab) then either SSH in or navigate to the "Cydia.app" folder and delete it. After doing all this you should respring (reboot). It should be gone now, but if you ever need it again you have to go to "Uninstall" and "reinstall" it.

If you have the same issue as me (it crashes after opening), install "Cydia: Manual Refresh" (located in the same repository as Cydia ["System" section in Installer]). It worked for me.

Now I get to actually use it to see what all the fuss is about.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    at one point last night it was stated in the app on the main page that modmyi's source was broken in such a way that it would Keep cydia from opening if you refreshed sources. So that explains the problems. It doesn't say that anymore so I'll assume everything is ok now. I'm still kinda wary though.

FF
    Last edited by fatherfork; 03-05-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: misspelling
    I would find it in bad taste for a waiter to ask for tips.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pingwhen View Post
    i like it, it has potential, but not perfect, half the stuff i dont even know what it is. very confusing to any normal joes. I would hope 1 day there will be the perfect "installer" but i would like to see the advances in this program. if it could check ever 6 hours for new progrmas, or allow me to select what folders i want to even see, theres so much that installer needs, and this 2. so who ever does them first i go their vote.
    i TOTALLY agree! i look at all these apps and fell like going to a computer programmer class at my school to ask them what the heck all these apps are!:P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That's because it is indeed partly intended for programmers/code writers. Better check the apps with the ones in 'installer' to be on the safe side, lol.

Thanks

Needs some time before Cydia could be replacement for Installer. Tried to installl PocketGuitar and Pianist through installer. PocketGuitar crash back to SB. Could be a permission problem, but that should Cydia be able to do right. Pianist complains about not finding the sample files. Both these install without a problem with Installer.

Also tried to install MobileTerminal, it works but on the prompt it says "I have no name!" what is that and how do i remove it? Didn't have it with the terminal i had through Installer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First of all, I love this app. It's way better than installer, and I think it should definitely replace it also.

However, when I installed it I started having problems with installer starting, it would crash on startup 60 percent of the time. But after using Cydia a little more, installer does not work at all, it acts like it is booting up and then drops out.

I'm not saying Cydia caused this but it's weird.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

why is this a sticky?

meah

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default find at /dev/null ???????
    Where is the command find ???
    there is no find, ff, xargs nor locate ?

edited:
    findutils solved my problem.
    thanks...
    Great soft...
    keep it rocking!
    Last edited by dafranca; 03-11-2008 at 04:39 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought the app limit was due to Apple springboard restrictions not Installer's?

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

Thanks

Tried to install Guitarist and the installation worked but not Guitarist. Couldnt find any guitar samples. Same thing with Pianist. Installed with Installer instead and everything worked fine.
    One thing that there is not so many soruces for Cydia, but when the installed applications dont work i think i will stick with Installer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

raptorjr : You can stick with Installer but I see no way to remove Cydia. I guess I just leave it on the iphone!?